Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

51" foamy $8.00

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 12:31 PM
theradioflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 51

Hi ajm11,

To build the smaller foamy take the measurements from the above plan and divide them by 1.6. You can make these measurements + or - and I'm sure she'd fly just fine. As far as choosing a motor I'm not a big help but the E-flite 370 1080 kv outrunner and 10x4.7 E-APC prop, 10 amp Castle Creations ESC, and a 3S 900mah Lipo is what I'm running with tons of fun pull out power. I'm also using Hitech HS-55's for the surfaces, I think Hobby King has knock offs of these for $3 or $4 It's a fun little plane to fly.

I got a couple of 4S 2100 Zippy-H's for the Bid Foamy yesterday and took it out for a test run. What a difference, just what it needed. Hobby King had these batteries for $40, not bad. I'll get a video up of her on 4S whan we get some good weather. Also Ibumped up to a E-flite 60amp ESC becase to 45amp ExtremeFlite Airboss got really hot after a 3 minute flight on the 4S.

Z,
Any news on the foam @ Home Depot yet? Have you asked them to place a special order?

Blessings,

Jay
Old 06-20-2009, 10:55 AM
theradioflyer

The weather was good enough yesterday to get a quick video of the 51" foamy on 4s.

Big Ole' Foamy on 4s on Vimeo

Blessings,

Jay
Old 07-01-2009, 12:18 PM
bgw45
My Feedback: (1)

Jay, thank you for posting this project. You are inspiring me to attempt to duplicate your work. Problem is that I'm no builer, so I will be stepping into new territory. I "think" I understand your drawings, but I need some more help. When joining the two fuse parts, do you split the part with the horizontal stabs and then glue it to the fuse?

It would appear that the only support used was on the leading edge of the wing and completing the motor mount. If this is correct, then I sure need to put the fuse together "correctly". Please tell me if I'm seeing things correctly.

Thanks, Steve
Old 07-04-2009, 09:41 PM
theradioflyer

Steve,
Everything in the horizontal is one piece and the fuse is split vertically between the slots for the horizontal pieces. I hope that makes sense. Post any questions and I'll be happy to take pictures and help in any way.

I flew 2 packs through it today in zero wind... what a blast! This plane floats around and is very predictable!

Blessings,

Jay
Old 07-08-2009, 12:06 AM
Steve GW

Jay,

This is Steve again.. using my account now.. bgw45 is my fathers . I've been working around the wife's time, attempting to make sense of this project. This is my first build. I am extremely new to this hobby (I currently own 1 plane which is the typhoon 2 foamy). I have learned A TON by building this thing so far.. coming along great. Did change a few things to suit what I was thought would be a good idea (the new guy trying new stuff usually ends up bad, I know hahaha). I cut the horizontal peice down the middle from the front of the plane to the edge of the wing, and cut the vertical down the middle from the leading edge of the wing to the tail. Everything fit well together. Thought you'd get a kick out of me using my kitchen (i'm in an apartment) while i'm waiting for the gorilla glue to cure!! Thanks for posting this add and for the advice. It's been a great experience so far!

Steve

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30455.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1231836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54793.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1231837  
Old 07-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Steve GW

The gorilla glue has cured and I have completed mounting the control surfaces!!!

Name:	Wu59587.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	1232032  
Old 07-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

Right on GW!!! That looks darn good! I am jealous since I have been wanting to start this project ever since the thread started. Home Depot lied to me when they said they were stocking the pink stuff in 2 weeks. Last time I went back to check, I asked again and a different guy told me they had no intentions of stocking anything but the white stuff that they already have. It's polystyrene and it is way to thick to build with at 1"....If I find the white stuff in 1/2", would it be as strong as the pink? Whats the difference with the colors? Looks like maybe you used the white polystyrene Steve?

I went to Rancho San Antonio to fly a friends mini-hotliner that he made out of one of those little Fox Mulitplex (hand thrown glider)...It flies an amazing 55 MPH with the motor he used. Fun, but because the wing is made to lift 1" for every 4" of travel, it is hard to keep level.

I am so ready for this plane!

Z

Old 07-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Steve GW

I used EPP (POLYPROPYLENE FOAM). I got it from a foam manufacturer in the local area. I asked them to give me 1/2 inch... it ended up being closer to 5/8 inch. I called all over the place. I read more than I would ever want to read on foam hahaha.. There are plenty of different types of foam to use. I found a useful link that might help you understand what's what! (http://www.hobby-bench-buddy.ca/Bett...signs_foam.htm). The "pink foam" should be a foam called POLYSTYRENE FOAM, which comes in different colors, to include blue (which I've seen). I think this foam is probably a little heavier and durable than the EPP.. but after putting the plane together, and getting the advice from radioflyer and putting something on the leading edge, it seems to be in good standing.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:42 PM
theradioflyer

That looks AWESOME Steve! Great job and I'm sure your changes will be for the better. Ideas from a group of people usually turns out better than the idea of one. I wonder if the pink and blue foam isn't available because of climate and house insulation factors.?
Keep us posted on your progress and flights!
Your going to have some fun[8D]

I want to add another thing about the motor mount. Using a powerful motor on foam can be bad and to much could rip the foam and the motor could leave the frame. I use Gorilla Glue to mount my light ply back plate to the foam. It has work very well for me but I don't hit full throttle unless climbing out of a hover. Get Real, the originator of this huge foamy obsession for me, tested his extremely hard and eventually his motor did depart. He came up with a brilliant fix using skewers to anchor deeper into the foam and securing it with Gorilla Glue.

If you plan on extreme flying and higher speeds or just want added security I recommend this modification. Pics below~

Blessings,

Jay
Attached Images   
Old 07-17-2009, 03:35 AM
crabby

just found this thread
ive got to make one of these..nice work jay[8D]
Old 07-17-2009, 04:39 PM
theradioflyer

Thanks Crabby!

It's quite a fun plane to build and fly. Plus for 8$ you can afford to get wild with it[8D]

Feel free to ask any questions or any pictures for the build.

Blessings,

Jay
Old 07-18-2009, 03:21 AM
crabby

no problem
just have to find somethin simmilar down here in aus[8D]
then build it
Old 08-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Oracus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice Jay
Old 08-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

Thought I gave up Jay? Lol....My Home Depot finally got the foam board in stock!!!! They have 79 sheets of 1/2" 4x8'..Think that is enough? I am on my way to get some...I will post progress when I can....I am a tad nervous because I have never built a scratch plane but should be fun. Ready for some stupid questions? Haha

C-ya and thanks for the drawings and help!

Z
Old 08-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

Need some help on the motor mount, please!

I am going to run an MPI Himax motor. Only problem is that this type of motor has to be mounted on the inside of the mount and not the outside. I was either going to cut a slot for the mounting plate/ leaving the nose mostly intact (similar to pic below) or simply cut the front slots so my motor can recess into the nose with the mount on the outside portion of the foam. Any other ideas are welcome...

I also wanted to add that I moved the wing back 1/2" as suggested in this thread. I moved the length to 9 1/8" for the L.E. I was wondering if that could affect or change the placement of the motor at all?

Peace,

Z

Name:	Wu61977.jpg
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1253886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88086.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	557.9 KB
ID:	1253887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21172.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	393.6 KB
ID:	1253888   Click image for larger version

Name:	At54897.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	553.4 KB
ID:	1253889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa32647.jpg
Size:	583.2 KB
ID:	1253890  
Old 08-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

Hopefully only one more question: Are you using a bit of right and down thrust or? If so, how much is enough/too much?

Thanks...Hey, where are you!??

JB
Old 08-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Steve GW

Hey Everyone!

Just got done putting the build together!!! I'm extremely pleased.. check out the picks on you tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tmlc2pjQgQ

I also put accomplished the maiden flight today with (not many) problems hahaha.. this is my first plane, and I'm STILL learning.. The outrunner, when I ran it up to about 75%, screamed like... well like the velosoraptor in the movie Jurrasic Park. I'm not sure, since I am new to this, what that could be.. If i'm running too much juice to it, or if it's cause the BEC is likely not set up where it needs to be. I am waiting for my programming card to get here to check it out... If you know why the outrunner would scream like that please let me know. My friend took a video of the flight (not the best but...); will post it when I get it to my e-mail. THANKS SO MUCH JAY FOR POSTING THIS THREAD.. I'VE LEARNED A LOT!!!!

Steve
Old 08-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Steve GW

Two pics!!!

Name:	Yv65858.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	1256223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95431.jpg
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	1256224  
Old 08-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Steve GW

More pics!!
Old 08-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Steve GW

OK trying again

Name:	Rp44006.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	1256236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31119.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	1256237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99601.jpg
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1256238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74305.jpg
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1256239  
Old 08-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

Steve,

Can you post your exact setup? It looks as though you are using a TR 35-42B 1250kv Turnigy....My initial thought is that your prop is way too small for the motor. My second thought was that the motor had a problem, like maybe a bearing is binding?

Here are some specs I found if indeed that is your motor:

Propeller: APC 10x5E
Amps: 28A
Watts: 220W
RPM: 9100

Propeller: APC 11x5,5E
Amps: 37A
Watts: 280W
RPM: 8500

Propeller: APC 12x6E
Amps: 44A
Watts: 330W
RPM: 7500

So , if you were running a prop on the small side, it would definitely crank the RPM's up to sound like it might be going too fast. Only thing to watch out for with a larger Prop will be the Amps. If you are using the ESC that Jay recommended, it would be to small at 40A because of the 44A draw...That could kill that new ESC fast!

Your BEC will not have anything to do with power to your motor, it will supply the voltage to the receiver so that the voltage is a constant 6volts(usually 6 volts is the norm). This way, all of your servos will work without bogging down and lose of power. If you are using an external BEC, you have to dismantle the red wire on the ESC first and then plug the BEC into any open channel. I like to use a small screwdriver to disconnect the red wire from the ESC's Rx connector so that you can re-use it later. If you simply cut it, you will have to re-solder it back together if you even want to use it again. For the other end of the BEC I just solder it straght to the connector that the battery plugs into. Red to positive and black to negative.

The program card for the ESC is a great tool to have, but you should be able to set the ESC manually, it just takes longer.

I will be waiting to see that video of your plane flying. My plane is almost done as well, but I have to wait for my motor to show up! I am going to run a motor that is slightly larger than the Eflite power 10...I made the mistake of thinking that I could use my little Himax on this thing...Lol...More money out the door on RC stuff..The woman is going to smack me!

Good luck!

Z

Old 08-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Steve GW

I am running a turnigy 35-42B.. i put a 14X7 prop on it (is that too big), 60amp ESC.. the sound wasn't gradual.. it was extremely different from the normal wine heard.. i get to a point when i'm giving it juice, where it goes from the normal wine to a totally different, high pitch (a lot louder) sound, to the point it scares me like i'm going to mess up the motor.. it definately doesn't sound normal compared to at 0%-50% thrust.. it sounds like metal on metal grinding at a high rate.. a screaming sound.. i don't know how else to say it.. the motor runs great up to that point.. no hesitation, no friction.. should i go with a smaller prop? Thanks for all the input!!!
Old 08-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Steve GW

I'm using the turnigy sentry 60A BEC
Old 08-14-2009, 10:57 PM
Steve GW

I'm also using 4S 25-35 2100mah zippy-h lipos
Old 08-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

!!!!!! OK, the 4s changes everything in the way I am figuring everything out. If you are not familiar with the formula for calculating the Watts, the formula is volts x amps=watts. That would give you a calculation with the motor not under load. Then from there you would have to figure it out with more math...Your set up would be 14.8volts x 45 amps=666 Watts!!!! That would be enough power to fly 2 of your airplanes at once, or close to 2000g(4.45 pounds)...

So, I know the wattage will be lower than the value you have now when you start adding smaller props because of less resistance, but I can not pin-point why your motor sounds like it is screaming??!! Even with that big prop you have mounted as of now, your setup is still totally within its limits....You should check the bearings to see if you have a bad one. ALSO, when you program the speed controller, set it up so that it is on the lowest timing possible. Chances are, you have it set too high...In my experience with BL motors...Some motors wont run on all settings given in the programming menu. You have to find the "correct" or best setting for that particular motor.

I hope Jay gets back soon because he might have some better ideas. I have toms of experience in Helicopters and brushless setups but this is only my second plane.

Where in CA are you anyway? I am in San Jose.

Z

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.