Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

51" foamy $8.00

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Steve GW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 51

Hello again.. trying to narrow this down.. I changed the prop to an 11X5.5... it would go up to full power if i gradually worked my way up to it... when given immediate thrust, this is when the motor would scream... i went to a flying field today, and a gentlemen who only fly's electrics told me to put it on the highest timing... i guess i'll just wait to get my programming card in.. since my lack of organization resulted in the loss of the instructions that came with the BESC. I'll play with it when I get in.. thanks for all your input on this!!! I'm in oceanside, northern san diego county!
Old 08-15-2009, 08:10 PM
bgw45
My Feedback: (1)

Hang in there, Steve. I enjoyed the video.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

Hey,

I found a link to the manual to program a Turnigy ESC, in PDF form....The link is a little temperamental at times, but shows how to program your ESC manually. I understand if you still want to wait for the card. I have never used the card and got along fine...Good luck with it either way. Hope to see that video/videos of you flying sometime soon. -[link=http://sokolmodel.wz.cz/P-51/Turnigy_ESC.pdf]Link for ESC programming[/link]

Do you have a simulator or any experience with flying? I would hate to see all that work get busted up before you get some good flights in. LOL...I broke my plane 2 times during assembly. Man-handling certain parts showed how easy the foam snaps(Busted the tail where the rudder attaches and broke the entire vertical fuse in half when I was "jamming" the wing in the slot to glue it!!). I had to remake the entire lower half twice, basically. While these will be real floaty and controllable, I don't see them taking much severe abuse without having to do a fix...

For fun, you could download this thrust calculator...it's a neat little tool to help you choose components for your plane...[link=http://www.zippkits.com/build/thrusthp.htm]Thrust calc on zippkits[/link]

Later!

Z

Old 08-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Steve GW

Seriously??? WOW!!! I have to thank you in public for these both of these links!! I looked for the Trunigy ESC document and couldn't find it.. THANKS ZIM-UH-TOSA for helping me out!!! Luckily, I haven't beaten up the plane too badly as of yet. What goes up must come down, and I know eventually its just a matter of time.... but I have flown a typhoon 2 by parkzone probably 20 times, and do have the RealFlight software, so hopefully staying within my comfort level will extend the life of this project. Thanks for everything!!!
Old 08-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

Lol, I forgot that you said you flew the Typhoon...Sorry! Sometimes I think aloud and say way too much! Don't know if that is better than saying too little, I just can't seem to sum things up in one sentence. I can remember jumping the gun on my first plane (a Nitro trainer about 20 years ago..Yah I said my Yak was my first plane, but I say that because it was the first success for me ...) and trashing the plane right from the get go, maiden flight. I will go on record saying that if it was not for the 100+ hours on flight sim learning orientation, I would have failed again!

I will shut up now...Can't wait for that video you said you had in an "email" ? Hahaha Pushy, aint I?

Peace and your totally welcome for the links!

Z
Old 08-17-2009, 10:54 PM
Steve GW

Luckily I didn't crash my first time up.. it's only happened when I wanted to: TRY SOMETHING NEW HAHAHA... The sim has taught me a lot.. She has to drag me off of it .. trying to find that happy medium ... I changed the programming on the BESC... it came out of the box on low timing.. i switched it to high, set the throttle max and min.. turned it off.. turned it back on.. gave it full thrust quickly... guess what: NO PROBLEMS.. it doesn't screech anymore.. i can hear a ticking sound like someone hits there nuckles on a cardboard box.. but it usually only makes the sound once.. and doesn't come back.. I'm ready to take it out early in the morning when there's no wind.. my video is a video my friend took with his small camera... it's windy, and the file is 250mb hahaha.. i'm trying to get it from him.. when i get it I will reformat it and post it.. it's nothing too spectacular hahaha.. but i will definately get it up on here when i get it.. thanks again Zim for all your help!!!

Steve
Old 08-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Steve GW

I must have deleted some of my typing hahaha.. when I said she.. I meant my wife.. and that she has to drag me off the simulater every now and then... hey... i've enjoying myself so far!
Old 08-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

LMAO!! When I read it the first time, I thought you were just being facetious, so no worries here. I often refer to Her as "she" or "my significant RC Buzz Kill"! ....OK now that I will be in trouble if she ever reads this....

Still waiting on my favorite government employee to bring me my motor so I can finish this build. I was thinking about doing some kind of paint scheme as well but you stole my idea...How many cool schemes can a grown man come up with that incorporate a PINK PLANE? [X(] Next, will be the stand by flame-job or whatever else I can think of that I know I can never paint correctly...

Late!

Z
Old 08-19-2009, 12:32 AM
theradioflyer

Holy Smokes you Guys!

Steve the plane looks great and the name is perfect[8D] Nice video, I had to LOL when the music started How cool!

Z,
You gotta quit breaking it before she's air born! Man reading these posts I see your way a head of me on the electrics thing! I stink at motor sizes and stuff. Crash gave me your message.... heck I thought the thread was dead[X(]

Anyone~ Please feel free to PM me at any time.

Steve,
I don't know much about timing things except that I have to run 30 degree for my motor in the advance setting. Can you take a video so we can hear it scream?

Z,
Did you get that motor mounted up? Sometimes you can invert the shaft on outrunners. I'll look into your motor and see if that's a possibility. EDIT: I don't know what Himax you have but check this out~ http://www.maxxprod.com/pdf/HC-Shaft-Service.pdf

Blessings,

Jay
Old 08-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

Jay!!!!!!

I thought it was so funny when I posted the picture of my plane on the Heli thread and Crash reposted a picture of your plane saying that you flew it at a local club....Small world.

I ordered a new motor because there is no way the one I was going to use will be enough power. I went ahead and got a Power 10 size(maybe slightly more powerful?). I would rather have way too much power than not enough[sm=48_48.gif] I have been talking with Get Real on the other forum because you were not available. He is one cool dude, like you. He answered so many dumb questions I had...lol

I should have my plane done before the weekend. I have been waiting for my motor since last Friday[]

Nice to see you back Jay.

Peace.

Z
Old 08-19-2009, 08:23 PM
theradioflyer

Z,
I'm glad everything is coming together well for you. The motor I was flying on mine was really closer to a Power 25 and slinging a 13x6e.
With the power 10 I think you'll have good light flight characteristic but it may not be enough to weigh down the nose to balance it. You might have to go with a 3000 mah batt or more or add some lead to get it balanced. I don't think it will hover though.

Real is a great guy and has always been a huge help to me. He's one heck of a builder and flew. He's got some great cars stuff too.

Blessings,

Jay
Old 08-19-2009, 09:19 PM
crashcrash

Thanks you guys....another thread to follow.....
Old 08-19-2009, 09:27 PM
theradioflyer

Your gonna love it

Blessings,

Jay
Old 08-19-2009, 09:30 PM
Steve GW

With the setup I have, I'm hovering, and pulling vertical FASTER THAN I WOULD HAVE EVER IMAGINED!!! The motor is great.. batt is great.. after almost 10 minutes of flight, the engine is moderately warm, batt also.. i'm extremely pleased that I haven't fried anything yet... AND EXTREMELY PLEASED that it comes back in an almost cool state!!! (the BESC is working fantastic as well)... I'll have to make a video with my camera (should have got my camera out before this), and post it.. today I flew twice.. IT WAS A BLAST!!!! I was able to get her into a hover.... got well than enough power to pull out vertical from it, and has got great control under slow flight!! Thanks again Jay for this thread.. and thanks Z for all the help too!!!

Steve
Old 08-19-2009, 10:14 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: Steve GW

With the setup I have, I'm hovering, and pulling vertical FASTER THAN I WOULD HAVE EVER IMAGINED!!! The motor is great.. batt is great.. after almost 10 minutes of flight, the engine is moderately warm, batt also.. i'm extremely pleased that I haven't fried anything yet... AND EXTREMELY PLEASED that it comes back in an almost cool state!!! (the BESC is working fantastic as well)... I'll have to make a video with my camera (should have got my camera out before this), and post it.. today I flew twice.. IT WAS A BLAST!!!! I was able to get her into a hover.... got well than enough power to pull out vertical from it, and has got great control under slow flight!! Thanks again Jay for this thread.. and thanks Z for all the help too!!!

Steve

Steve...by all means, post a video. Give me a play by play on motor/bat/ESC/prop/ETC you're using. I think having a very aerobatic plane would be a hoot and I have substantial yard space to fly such a beast.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:54 PM
theradioflyer

Steve,

I can't tell you how happy I am that your enjoying this plane so much! Great job on the build, painting, and flying. I look forward to the video![8D]

God Bless,

Jay
Old 08-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

ORIGINAL: theradioflyer

Z,
I'm glad everything is coming together well for you. The motor I was flying on mine was really closer to a Power 25 and slinging a 13x6e.
With the power 10 I think you'll have good light flight characteristic but it may not be enough to weigh down the nose to balance it. You might have to go with a 3000 mah batt or more or add some lead to get it balanced. I don't think it will hover though.

Real is a great guy and has always been a huge help to me. He's one heck of a builder and flew. He's got some great cars stuff too.

Blessings,

Jay

Bummer! Your first post in the thread said you were using between a power 10 and 15...No worries though. I found a place that sells the Power 10's for $17. The 15's are $19 and the 25's are like $24....I was afraid to buy from them at first because they are tied into the whole xheli, nitrorcx, raiden thing. Everything arrived( a little long for being in the same state at 5 days) and was in brand new great shape! The website is hobbypartz.com and the prices are almost unreal...I bought a brushless motor for my Rock crawler too. Only cost $24...Even from Hong Kong, that same motor is $55...

I have everything complete except the motor now. Since I built the entire plane and did not cut the slots in the front for the motor large enough, I am nervous about cutting a place for the mount straight. Any tips on how to do this correctly/safely? at this stage are welcome.

Steve~ I would have loved to see the look on your face powering out with that motor. The specs say it will fly a plane that weighs 4.4 pounds! Lol....POWER TO THE PANTHER! Congratulations!

Z

Old 08-20-2009, 01:03 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

Crash??? You gonna build one now too? Maybe you can find some blue stuff instead of the pink so we don't have to make fun of your manly, man-ness! I appreciate you finding Jay for us too. I figured he would get back to his thread eventually....

Nice to see you hanging out with us here!

Late!

Z
Old 08-20-2009, 01:58 PM
theradioflyer

Sorry about that Z, I'm learning more and more about motors and such each day. It looks like my Motrolfly DM2820 is somewhere between a 15 and 25....but they don't make a 20.
The DM2820 is 152 grams and the Power 10 is 122 grams.. a bit lighter. the Power 15 is the same weight at 152 grams, although though the DM2820 delivers 800-1200 watts of power and the Power 15 is rated for 575 watts. The Power 10 is rated for 450 watts. It says the Power 25 is only rated for 600 watts. I don't get that because the Motrolfly is a smaller motor but must have more power. I don't get it.

I'd edit the first post for the future on motor choices but RCU won't let me... must be that it's been up too long.

Sorry again,

Jay
Old 08-20-2009, 02:02 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: Zim-uh-tosa

Crash??? You gonna build one now too? Maybe you can find some blue stuff instead of the pink so we don't have to make fun of your manly, man-ness! I appreciate you finding Jay for us too. I figured he would get back to his thread eventually....

Nice to see you hanging out with us here!

Late!

Z

Z....I don't know when I'm gonna build one, but it's comming. I crashed my heli, that was $30, then I need a new gyro...that's $43, Jay got me hooked on building a PT17 bi-plane which besides the heli is my next endevor. I do want a 3D floater though....something that will fly in the confine of my property.....I got a BUNCH of trees I'm gonna drop, they impede access to the 5 acers to my east and north...they gotta go. When that's cleared, I see a runway going across my back yard.....hard packed dirt running E/W, and if I got the funds....I'll pave it eventually (LMAO).
Old 08-20-2009, 02:04 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: theradioflyer

Sorry about that Z, I'm learning more and more about motors and such each day. It looks like my Motrolfly DM2820 is somewhere between a 15 and 25....but they don't make a 20. I'm going to edit that post.

Sorry again,

Jay

Jay...what's the motor I'm running on the Corsair equal to in a gasser (I know you figured it out).
Old 08-20-2009, 02:14 PM
theradioflyer

Crash,
I've been going back and forth looking over the spec and stuff and I think your motor resembles a 370 outrunner. I always compare motors to the E-flite line because I've had so many of them. here are the E-flite 370 specs~ http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLM1205

I really have no idea what glow motor it would be equivalent to.... possibly a .051?

Blessings,

Jay
Old 08-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Steve GW

FINALLY HERE IT IS!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bByy0dGMEx0[/youtube]
Old 08-20-2009, 09:04 PM
crashcrash

All I can say is....wow....[X(], pretty cool.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:12 PM
bgw45
My Feedback: (1)

Steve, you should take the plane back to the "foam" dealer. I know they would be surprised to see it completed. Who knows, they might cut you another sheet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.