Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

New to electric, need advice

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

New to electric, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 02:17 PM
bird_dog0347
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to electric, need advice

So I have flown glow planes for a while and have been toying with the idea of getting an electric plane. Well yesterday I fell into a hell of a deal on a .46 sized Reactor 3D with all the servos already in it. It was setup for electric before so I think I will keep it that way.

I purchased a motor for it online, and now just need an ESC/BEC and some batteries for it. The motor I bought is the one recommended by GP, it is the Rimfire 42-60-480 and it calls for a 60amp ESC. The one that is recommended does not have a BEC, is there a good one that has one built in for less than $100?

For batteries, is it better to go with a single 6s or two 3s in series? What C rating will I need? About how long do they take to charge?

For the charger, has anyone used this one and will it work for what I need? http://www.xheli.com/thac6bachwac.html

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-26-2009, 03:09 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New to electric, need advice

Since you don't state what type batteries you mention using I can't really answer your question. If you're talking about LI Po's don't think you would want 6 in series. Also don't think I would buy a ESC without the Bec why would you want to add more weight? I would try it first with 3, 2200 Ma Li po's and see how it goes you can always add more bat. What is the weight of plane? For charger tha one I would recommend is the FMA 10 S. If you're going to electric go with one of the best chargers.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:40 PM
bird_dog0347

sorry, Ineed LiPo batteries. The ones recommended by GP are 3200mah 3S 11.1v wired in series to make it 6s. Pretty sure Iwill need a minimum of 3000mah if I go with two 3S batteries.

I never said Iwanted to add weight to it, but if you mean why would Iget the ESC and BEC sepereate... I don't really want to get them seperate and yes Iknow I need one with the BEC, I just want a recommendation on what is a good one that won't break the bank.

I will check out the charger.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:16 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I'm not the right one to give advice since I don't know of any motor using that many Li Po's in series, that's 22.2 volts. In which case I doubt you will find an ESC with Bec available. I have a 46 Reactor that flys great but is powered by a Saito 82. All my electrics are smaller and lighter than that.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:44 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

looks like your going to have to look at castle high voltage esc's at tower hobbies there in the 100.00 to 120.00 range............GEETER..........just saw a castle 50 phoneix at hobby people 85.00 will handle 35 volts i think. there out there,search the webb........GEETER.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Safety Hawk
My Feedback: (6)

Take a look at the Castle Creations Phoenix Ice 75. It has a switching bec that will work all the way up to 8s. And whether you go with two 3s packs or one 6s pack is up to you, but the charger you listed is only a 50watt charger and will only charge a 6s pack at about 2.25amps. So it will be a little slow. For your packs, if you go with the recommended 3200mah packs, then 20c will probably be okay. But if you go smaller, then you will probably need at least 25c packs. [link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9503&Product_Name=Turnigy_3300mAh_6S_30C_Lipo_Pack]Here's[/link] what I'd get.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:28 PM
bird_dog0347

So I found a CC Phoenix 60A ESC at a swap meet for $35 and just went ahead and picked up a CC BEC for peace of mind. I will not be using the built in BEC of the ESC just in case the ESC dies. I got the Rimfire motor (.55 equivalent) and now just need my RX, batteries, and charger to get started...
Old 10-07-2009, 02:31 AM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Turnigy, Turborix and Tower Pro ESCs that handle up to 6 cell lipos and include BECs. A 6 cell lipo on a .60 size stick using an APC 14x12 is a perfect combination. I use the same set up on a Sig King Kobra. I purchased the ESCs on Ebay and from HobbyCity ($45 to $70). I use Castle Creations HV ESCs on larger set ups without BECs. But for my medium sized planes, the ESCs with BECs are perfect.

Kurt
Old 10-08-2009, 09:14 PM
lowdonkey
My Feedback: (3)

i would recommend using 1 6 cell pack a bigger one like 5000mah 20c or better and whatever charger u go with should be able to charge your batteries at the recommended 1c rating.. There are some decent chargers and good lipos at hobbycity