Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Silhouette by GP

Haven't seen anything about the Great Planes Silhouette yet. Anyone have one?
    I had a 370 motor eager to fly so Ijust picked up a Silhouette hopingthey'll work together. The kit calls for a 400 for 3D. I'm not sure if I'm ready for true 3D yet and was hoping the 370 will be adequate for sport flying (2D?). Am Inuts, or is it worth a try? I figured I can always buy a 400 later if I'm not satisfied, but Idon't want to crash & burn for lack of power in the mean time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Silhouette by GP

A 370 should work OK for sport flying. Stay with the recommended throws and CG and you'll be fine. It is a fragile plane though. The fuse is weak behind the wing and is likely to break there. I would recommend reinforcing the fuse with clear tape.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Since your sport flying I'll say this... WATCH YOUR SPEED!!! I had my tail feathers rip off on about flight #15 coming out of stall turn at LESS than half throttle... I was powering mine with an OLD PJS 550R swinging an APC 9x3.8 on 2s... not even CLOSE to over powered. It did 3D and in general fly OK... just way to frail IMHO. Once your in the market for a new foamy take a look at the DW foamies line up... i replaced my frailouette with a Juka and could not be happier some 100+ flights later

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info guys. I used the 370, but I only had a 1300 mAh battery which was 1.5 ounces over the recommended weight. I was flying over grass so I opted for a hand launch from my Dad which resulted in a 6 foot death plunge. The fuse broke in half in front of the wing. After a while I finally repaired it, put in a 450 motor and 640 mAh batt and it flew great! I then tried the 1300 mAh with no weight problems at all. Love the plane now. Thanks for the tips on its fragility. I'll check out the DW Juka.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is actually a very good flying plane. Unfortunately mine is gone now. This time I knocked the hose off of it. I won't repair it and due to the fragility I can't see buying another one. Good luck with your Silhouette though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Spiccoli, this is my first 3d plane and I'm having a blast! Today, though, I tried to set it down from the best harrier I was capable of but the front wheel caught at a very slow speed and the plane broke in half behind the wing just as y'all predicted. I'll repair it, and can't wait to get it up again, but I'll definately thow a little packing tape near the tail - it's the only place that hasn't snapped yet. I'm sure not all 3D planes aren't equal, but can I expect to have this much fun with any 3D out there? I'll be looking into the Juka as my possible next one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got my Silhouette mid summer and it has held up well. It is one of my favorite flyers. A great 3D trainer. I live on a lake so I couldn't resist. Check out the video.
    Silhouette Float Plane Video
    Drive to Stay Alive!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow, great video Fast Guy! Best flight vid I've ever seen. The flying ability, camera work, editing, music & setting ... all unbeatable! You should submit that to GP as a promo. Makes me want to do a float mod.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just bought one of these yesterday. Hoping to practice things like rolls, point rolls, and basic 3D orientation.

Setup:
    HKz20A HobbyKing 20A BlueSeries Brushless Speed Con 1 Unreserved
    TR2213/22 Turnigy 2213 22turn 924kv 17A Outrunner 1 Unreserved
    HXT900 HXT900 9g / 1.6kg / .12sec Micro Servo 5 Unreserved
    Z10003S25C ZIPPY Flightmax 1000mAh 3S1P 25C 1 Unreserved
    R750-20-3 Rhino 750mAh 3S 11.1v 20C Lipoly Pack 2 Unreserved
    AM2002-30x10 30CM Servo Lead (JR) 32AWG Ultra Light (10pc 1 Unreserved
    TGY119x3.8SF TGY Slow Fly Prop 11*3.8SF w/ shaft adapters 1 Unreserved
    TGY11x4.7SF TGY Slow Fly Prop 11*4.7SF w/ shaft adapters 1 Unreserved
    TGY10x4.7SF TGY Slow Fly Prop 10*4.7SF w/ shaft adapters 1 Unreserved
    Joe Marri
    Enjoying all things aviation.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi FastGuy !
    Really cool float plane video ! I'm going to convert my silhouette as well for floatflying this spring. I was surprized to see how well the short GWS floats worked for it ! Can you possibly post some pics of how you attached the rear strut to the fuselage ? Thanks here is mine flying in the wintertime : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxycJRG0o98

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is a video of it flying on floats : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH2VzVHMLb8

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For those interested in doing a floats conversion - this video is a step by step guide : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkCJnr6YGUA