Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Which is the Best Extra for 3D - Extreme Flight or Precision Aerobatics?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Which is the Best Extra for 3D - Extreme Flight or Precision Aerobatics?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Nitro-Tom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is the Best Extra for 3D - Extreme Flight or Precision Aerobatics?

Guys (And Gals for that matter)

Which of these is the best choice for all out 3D flying?

I have settled on a 58” electric Extra….but I am struggling with the choice.

Extreme Flight has such a great looking plane and a great reputation and the “Higher Plane Video” say it all, really.

But then this PA is only 3.85 pounds and aerofundan and the guys are tearing it up with these……they look nice…..I need your help to decide.

I have few notes to consider, but I want YOUR opinion….as I can’t make up my mind. (Listed in no order)

1. Can’t get PA on the phone. Scares me. And they have had 2 days to respond to my email and have not. I hate dealing with email support and they say right on their web site "We do not reply technical questions over the phone."
2. Need to talk to BOTH vendors about their electronics and software and cable for the ESC. Seems like the vendors brand is good stuff I just need to know the support is there.
3. The Extreme is only 3A BEC yet an 80A ESC and the PA is 4A BEC on 65A ESC....stuff like that.

[:-]Possibly the biggest question MAY be what is the best setup for either of these airframes?[:-]

Should I be using the BEST AXI or NEU motor or the manufacture stuff?

I have a hard time NOT using top of the line Castle ESC for example......

I need help and I do not know what to do when there is no Glow Slime to wipe off!!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11133.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	1411559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86929.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1411560  
Old 04-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Which is the Best Extra for 3D - Extreme Flight or Precision Aerobatics?

I don't own either but if you are having trouble getting them to talk to you about a possible sale, what do you think they will be like after they have your money. I have flown a bunch of Extreme Flight planes and consider it top shelf stuff. Although I wouldn't hesitate to buy EF products, AeroWorks is my personal choice because they will talk to you on the phone before the sale or later if you need help. Rocco and Dennis are great guys. Just my two cents.

(No I don't work for AeroWorks and Yes I own some of their planes with the biggest being a 50cc Extra 260. Fixing to buy another when they get the new 120 size Extra ready.)
Old 04-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Nitro-Tom

Default RE: Which is the Best Extra for 3D - Extreme Flight or Precision Aerobatics?

Found out all these guys are getting ready for the big show at Toledo......that is why they have been hard to get with.

Finally got with PA and secured the Hi-tec servos so I am going with that combo, in green as was shown. I will keep you posted on the result, should have a plane in a few weeks.....
Old 04-06-2010, 01:10 PM
demonGti

Hi Nitro - Tom

I bought myself the PA MX form their international online store. My experience was pleasant, they were very helpful.
I am extremely happy with the MX. It is a really well mannered plane, but hit high rates and it's a beast with gobs of power.
I didn't go with the PA suggested hardware but I am using a very similar setup.

You will be happy with the PA bird I'm sure!

dG
Old 04-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Nitro-Tom

Nice! Thanks for the update.

I am pumped about this plane for sure, Looking forward to it in Green or Red, still can't decide.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:21 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Tom:

Don't think you could go wrong with either airframe. I have the PA Katana, and the 3D HS AJ extra. The Katana is a better flyer as to being stable. The AJ Extra has not been off the ceiling for 6-8 months. Just have not spent any time dialing it in. Don't like how quick it snaps out in high alpha. Probably too much elevator. The PA motors and stuff seam to be as good as anything out there. Think its very pricy. Have been getting good results from HXT Turnigy SK motors and Plush controllers for a lot lot less.Have been using this stuff for the past year or so, no gripes. The Hacker 20-20L is copy is just as good as the original, I fly both, cant tell the difference in thrust or duration. You will enjoy I am sure.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:08 PM
JK13

3DHS 57" Extra 330SC is really awesome - my current favorite

Scott Stoops design-

http://www.3DHobbyShop.com/detail.aspx?ID=2512

Joe
Old 05-09-2010, 12:42 AM
Safety Hawk
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: JK13

3DHS 57'' Extra 330SC is really awesome - my current favorite

Scott Stoops design-

http://www.3DHobbyShop.com/detail.aspx?ID=2512

Joe
+1

Awesome plane on a Reaper GR45 and 4s 3600mah. My second favorite would be the Extreme Flight 58" Extra on a Reaper GR 60 with 4S 4000mah packs. The EF is a better precision flyer, while the 3DHS is awesome at 3d.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:14 PM
2Brave
My Feedback: (28)

Try the Extreme Flight MXS!!!! This bird is really an awesome looking plane. Curtis has the best schemes and has the airframe design down pat. His power systems are spot on when it comes to reliability and customer service will put PA to shame.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:28 PM
boosted180
My Feedback: (8)

i have had planes from all three (EF, 3DHS, and PA). if i was to buy another plane, and assuming they're all in stock, i'd go with EF. their planes look the best and most scale and performance is just incredible. not that the others are bad either. i recently sold my PA extra which i've had for 2 years. and i just bought a 3DHS extra SHP and really having a blast with it. (i actually really wanted the EF, but they're out of stock and dont have any arrival dates). i really liked how 3DHS shipped out on the same day i ordered and i got it 2 days later and they only charged $12 for shipping. and they always pick up their phone.

my choice (very close) would be:

1) EF
2) 3DHS
3) PA

customer service:

1)3DHS
2)EF
3)PA
Old 10-19-2010, 05:50 PM
cencalmatt
My Feedback: (1)

I'm new lol but I am definately gonna say PA all the way. They seem like a great company and they even have awesome build videos step by step for people like me to more easily get into it.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: cencalmatt

I'm new lol but I am definately gonna say PA all the way. They seem like a great company and they even have awesome build videos step by step for people like me to more easily get into it.

Any links to these "Build" videos.....I have a build issue now with my Extra MX.....and I agree....I went with PA all the way....

I love their motto....

Making the world a better place to fly.....one plane at a time......

I think Fiber Fusion is the best thing since drilling holes to save weight!!!
Old 10-27-2010, 05:20 PM
demonGti

Hi Tom, what build issues are you having? Maybe I can help....
dG
Old 10-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: demonGti

dG

well, since you ask...

Picture 1 below is the manual - how to cut the openings for the servos, etc.....pont in question is rear of fuse for horizontal stab...

Picture 2 is the fuse, where it does not look like they cut the back, and I really do not want to.....weaken the frame.....

Picture 3 is another plane, where they said NOT to cut this out....

If i do cut it out, how will I patch it after glueing the stab, before hinging the rudder?

I am confused....[:@]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46450.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1524154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh18883.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1524155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10990.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1524156  
Old 10-27-2010, 07:15 PM
Safety Hawk

ORIGINAL: Nitro-Tom
Any links to these ''Build'' videos.....I have a build issue now with my Extra MX.....and I agree....I went with PA all the way....
I believe he is mistaken with another 3d plane manufacturer.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:12 AM
demonGti

dG

well, since you ask...

Picture 1 below is the manual - how to cut the openings for the servos, etc.....pont in question is rear of fuse for horizontal stab...

Picture 2 is the fuse, where it does not look like they cut the back, and I really do not want to.....weaken the frame.....

If i do cut it out, how will I patch it after glueing the stab, before hinging the rudder?

OK Tom, you need to cut that piece out in order to get the horizontal stab in. Since it is aerofoiled and not flat you can't slide it in from the side, it must go in from the back.
Included in the kit is a solid block of wood the same size and shape as the material you need to remove.
Once you stab and elevator are in place you glue this block into the void you created. There is also some covering supplied in the kit to cover this little piece of wood again so its not noticable.
It it a fairly easy operation, just make sure you cut out parallel to the slot where the stab slides in... remeber its easier to shave the hole bigger than it is to make it smaller if you cut it too big.

dG

Old 10-28-2010, 07:20 AM
Nitro-Tom

dG

well, since you ask...

OK Tom, you need to cut that piece out in order to get the horizontal stab in. Since it is aerofoiled and not flat you can't slide it in from the side, it must go in from the back.
Included in the kit is a solid block of wood the same size and shape as the material you need to remove.
Once you stab and elevator are in place you glue this block into the void you created. There is also some covering supplied in the kit to cover this little piece of wood again so its not noticable.
It it a fairly easy operation, just make sure you cut out parallel to the slot where the stab slides in... remeber its easier to shave the hole bigger than it is to make it smaller if you cut it too big.

dG

ok, that makes sense......I will do that and thanks for the tip.......would you use CA or epoxy to put the wood provided back into that slot? (Not sure it matters that much......)

Thanks again for the help!

tom

Old 10-28-2010, 07:32 AM
demonGti

I don't think it makes too much differnce but I did mine with epoxy.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:19 AM
insalacosm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, I just realized that you already made your decision, so my post is OBE. Here's what I wrote anyway:

I've been flying my EF Extra 300 for a couple years and absolutely love it. The 3DHS planes are great performers and well built as well but I've never flown their Extra. I love the fact that I can call EF and speak with Chris, or call 3DHS and speak with Ben - they're both great guys. My only expereince with PA was many years ago with their mini Katana, but I have seen their 58" Extra fly. The PA Extra has a much thinner fusealage and a lower stance than the EF Extra, so I imagine this helps keep the weight down but it doesn't look very scale. My observation is that the EF Extra 300 presents like a 1/4 scale airplane whereas the PA Extra flew more like a foamie due to the extremely low wing loading.
Steve
Old 11-04-2010, 09:34 AM
Safety Hawk

ORIGINAL: insalacosm

The PA Extra has a much thinner fusealage and a lower stance than the EF Extra, so I imagine this helps keep the weight down but it doesn't look very scale. My observation is that the EF Extra 300 presents like a 1/4 scale airplane whereas the PA Extra flew more like a foamie due to the extremely low wing loading.
Not to bash PA or anything....but I agree with you on this. The PA Extra looks to me as though its fuse is a 47" size fuse with a 58" wingspan.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:23 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I have stayed away from PA because they are have or did have lousy customer services.a friend bought a PA a couple years back and it was busted and went to return it and was told it would be a hassle as pa is not in the us.I prefer 3dh first and foremost because the owner ben is very very good to deal with and backs everything up and is quick!! EF is good as I use torque motors and airboss esc.never an issue and makes good when theres a problem.very satisfied.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Safety Hawk

PA used to be a decent company. But it sounds like they're going down [link=http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/Models/ElectricAirplanes/Kits/PAAddictionX.html]hill.[/link]
Old 12-01-2010, 11:55 AM
demonGti

Oh that's nonsense!

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Safety Hawk

That's not nonsense. They just happen to the the only distributor so far that has posted anything public about it. If this had been the only thing I had read or heard out PA's customer service, then I may have easily dismissed it just as you have. But unfortunately it's not.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:02 PM
ombudsman

I've had great, extremely timely service from PA. Idon't care what anyone else flys, but my next plane will be another PA (Addiction.)
Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.