RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Electric Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-electric-flying-237/)
-   -   3D Fly Airplanes 39" S'bach (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-electric-flying-237/10570641-3d-fly-airplanes-39%22-sbach.html)

Revy 06-12-2011 07:52 PM

3D Fly Airplanes 39" S'bach

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I just ordered up one of these;

3dflymodel.com/shop/step1.php

Planning on a Power 25 (845kv) on 3s 2500 mAh Eon X-lite Flight Power lipos. It'll be the mini-me of my 29% Pilot at the field. I'm all about the 'bachs and even have the UMX on order. Does anyone else have 3D Fly airplanes?

Revy 06-30-2011 06:14 PM

RE: 3D Fly Airplanes 39

Well I finally received my ARF today! The silly Canada Post strike impeded it's delivery for at least a couple of weeks. It arrived in descent shape considering what it must have gone through, lol. The only hitch was a single zip-lock bag had opened up and some parts bounced around. Everything is accounted for from what I can tell. The one thing missing is an instruction manual. The on-line picture's aren't quite enough but anyone with any build time can figure it out. The only flaw is the S for the top wing has its top cropped off. The graphics are top notch but should have not been folded to fit in their parts bag. A little more attention there would pay off huge for this little plane.

It is very well built for an ARF! Some North American guys would be proud to put their brand on it. Literally a spitting image of my 50cc 29% Pilot version with BarracudaHockey's graphics on it. The canopy is a little more amber than smoke in color compared with Pilot's. The spring loaded hatch clip and rare earth magnets work really well. Awesome hardware package is overkill for this size plane. I don't think I'll have a linkage failure other than if I don't do something right setting it up. Better than I would pay for at the hobby shop making this one nice little gem.

My motor choices for this size of plane are limited and don't quite fit the bill. The Power 25 is wayyyy too much for this thing. I have a KDA A22-10S almost big enough to use I think, but will go hunting at my LHS this week-end. Maybe a Power 15 or Rimfire or whatever it'll take to get this thing to fly. I'm looking forward to getting this "mini-me" in the air!!

S'bach owner's...get one! [8D]

Assembly pics soon.;)

Revy 07-02-2011 08:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well the pictures from the website are what would go in a manual but there is a lot left to the imagination. All in all it was fairly straight forward. No real complaints other than no usual manual, e-version or paper. A nicely put together ARF. It even has the parts needed for a second elevator servo if you so choose to split it. I used a 1.5 inch arm for the rudder servo and crossed the wires over but everything else was done as pictured, save for personal preference as to what glue to use where.

I ended up using an Axi 2814/10 which has same can diameter as a Park 480 but a little longer. With the Axi 2808/14 prop adapter it is perfectly spaced so prop/spinner clearance can be as close as you want. Spinning a Xoar 11x5 to start. Cowl got a bit of a shave with a Dremmel drum where the gear leave the fuse. A little notch on either side and the cowl sits beautifully. I finished the bottom of the wings just like it's bigger brother and tried to keep the schemes as close as I could. Andy's graphics are much better but the little guys isn't soo shabby once they're on! Might match up the wheel pants some night when I'm bored. ;)

ESC is a Castle T-bird 54 and servos are HK 959 MG. Battery for the maiden will be a Flight Power Eon X-lite 2500 3S. CG is on the back edge of the wing tube to start. I like 'em a little tail heavy.

Sorry I didn't take pics along the way, the website's is pretty bang on as to what needs to be done for the most part. Actually, it was a fairly quick assembly when I wasn't hunting for motors, lol.

Revy 07-08-2011 05:44 AM

Maiden was uneventful as they all should be! A little nose heavy in the air, so CG will have to be adjusted. Guessing even with the 25-30% rule. Control throws have to be adjusted as well. Low rates were still a bit high, but no info on those vitals means you better know a little about general set-up.

A few clicks of trim and she tracked straight and true at cruised effortlessly at less than half throttle. It is floaty like it's bigger counterpart. All the S'bachs I've flown, foamies to giants, fly like that. It is a mini-me in that regard! No 3D flying, yet. Also think that the 3S 2500mAh LiPo is a bit much, it is a rocket vertically with the 3S. The Axi 2814/10 is a 1600Kv motor which will be a little tamer on 2S as that is preferred for 3D according to Axi's charts for a plane this weight. She comes in at 860 grams w/o battery.

Swapping out a HK959MG on the rudder for a Hitec HS 82 MG due to stripping the gears inside. Other control surfaces may need the swap for better servos too. Cheap is cheap.;)

1pylonracer 07-08-2011 08:22 AM

It's as if your 29% had a kid:)

Revy 07-09-2011 01:10 PM

LOL, kinda the point of getting it! ;)

I don't own a watt meter, but for what it is worth, I did weigh and do RPM tests of both batteries...

7.4v 1800mAh Turnigy Nano-tech - 95g and 9630 rpm
11.1v 2500mAh Flight Power Eon X-lite - 206g and 11730 rpm

Same motor, ESC, connectors (XT-60s) and Xoar 11x5.5 e-prop.

Weather or the honey do list has prevented me from getting out for more flights. Hopefully this evening I'll fly 'em both.

Revy 07-10-2011 10:02 AM

Apparently Hobby King has the same plane...only cheaper.

Revy 07-11-2011 06:43 PM

2S batteries with that motor/ESC/prop! ;)

Used a Turnigy Nano-Tech 1800 2S 25C and noticed a much nimbler airframe. Lost a 110g too. I haven't flown it with the 2500 3S since! Ordered some of the slightly bigger 2200 2S 35C Nano-Tech's to keep me airborne more. Swapt out rudder servo works flawlessly, as it should.

CG is between 3 and 3-1/4", fyi.

Revy 07-24-2011 02:03 PM

<font color="#FF0000"><font size="5"><font size="4">CG is just aft the wing tube, not 3" back!!!</font></font></font><font size="2"><font color="#000000">

Me and my fat fingers. I had a scare and thought I'd loose the aircraft. Not once but twice! The second time ended up in a very hard landing, well semi-controlled crash. End result being some bent gear and destroyed spoked rims. Fuse at that location is tough as there is no damage to the airframe at all! Only one battery soo far (2x 2200 Nano-tech's on their way), so back to the shop it went for some much needed attention.

After bending the gear back into shape I changed out the wheels for some Dubro's and lost the wheel pants. They do make the plane look awesome, but our grass strip is tough on little planes with them on. Also got rid of the HK959MG servo on the elevator for another Hitec, a bigger HS-82MG. Made it even more tail heavy by 4 grams but I've got better peace of mind.

Then the challenging part. They designed this with a little different power set-up than I have. Originally a 3S 2500 pack and a smaller sized motor. I have a little bigger motor and much smaller pack. Lost a total of just over 70 grams in front of the wing tube. 7.4v battery is 100 grams lighter but the motor is about an ounce heavier. I couldn't get the battery pack up far enough now with the heavier elevator servo, so I had to add some dead weight to the nose. 30 grams to the motor box behind the motor. Balances just aft the wingtube.

Next flight was awesome! Flew much nicer and was super stable. Inverted 45* upline and it falls to the nose ever so slightly! A tad nose heavy for my style, although some would say it was perfect.;)

Come on Canada Post, I need extra batteries!!!:D

</font></font>