RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Electric Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-electric-flying-237/)
-   -   U-Can-Do 3D EP Anyone seen it yet? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-electric-flying-237/2693303-u-can-do-3d-ep-anyone-seen-yet.html)

Charlie Bravo 02-23-2005 10:19 PM

U-Can-Do 3D EP Anyone seen it yet?

Great planes has made the UCD series into an eflight 3D plane. i dont know if its out in stores yet but it looks interesting. looks like a wierd material its made out of that it can be bent 90 degrees and keep flying.

http://www.electrifly.com/parkflyers/gpma1275.html

EVOL

exeter_acres 02-23-2005 10:30 PM

RE: U-Can-Do 3D EP Anyone seen it yet?

The absolute first I have seen about this plane was in this thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/U_CA...2692104/tm.htm

I wish the person who started it would post more details... I have not seen the plane myself....

runover1 02-23-2005 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks incredible. I think they stole some ideas off of the Southern X2 that came out in Japan last year. Anyway I can't wait to get mine. It is definately at the right price on Tower. Finally, a 3D plane I can't be afraid of crashing.

runover1 02-23-2005 10:48 PM

Here is the site repping it. [link=http://www.funplanes.com/videos/videos.htm#Edge%20540%20video]http://www.funplanes.com/videos/videos.htm#Edge%20540%20video[/link] alot of cool videos.

Trogdor the Burninator 02-23-2005 11:40 PM

Saw one of them at the LHS today.Uses a zipper to hold in the battery! haha, maybe its a good idea, I just can't get past the looks!

T. Bob 02-24-2005 10:24 AM

This plane is the the biggest piece of crap I have ever flown.
If you flying a rigid foamy keep it.
This plane is not the answer.
Why?
It terribly coupled (like the glow ucando)
It can't hover and they do break (the nose) easy.
Save your money and buy something else.

T. Bob 02-24-2005 10:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The before picture.
16 oz of pure ugly.

T. Bob 02-24-2005 01:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am a above average flyer and this is my U Can Do after 3 flights.
It didn't even hit the ground hard (no broken prop, or bent shaft)
At least with my Monte I could fix it.

budgetdude 02-25-2005 07:43 AM

What is wrong with greatplanes!!!

dcwolf 02-25-2005 12:48 PM

Bax is normally the designated person who replies to threads on Great Planes' behalf, however he is out of the office for the next week, so I am filling in for him. In response to T.Bob's post, please understand that no plane is completely indestructible - hard nose-down impacts can rip the nose off as you've shown. We have reviewed your picture and it looks like you should be able to repair your plane in just a minute or two. Our designer suggests that you can glue the broken section back on with the hot-melt glue recommended for construction, and while it will be a bit uglier than before, it will certainly fly again.

David Wolf, Supervisor
Great Planes Product Support
3002 N. Apollo Dr. Ste. 1
Champaign, IL 61822
USA
Service Phone: 217 398-8970

edge_pilot 02-25-2005 01:00 PM

hello, I don't want to get in the middle of bashing any of the big manufacturers. But it is not the first airplane Great Planes has put out that doesn't fly worth a $%&* !!! They have an excellent name in the hobby and they use it to there advantage to sell kits (arf's usually) that don't fly near anybodies expectations. They have a excellent marketing department though.

WhtBronco 02-25-2005 01:15 PM

Well every manufacturer comes to market with an airplne that does not live up to expectations from time to time. Great Planes in general does have good planes available, IMO. I have had several over the years and been pleased with them.

I think we are more critical of planes these days though than in the past, even say 10 years ago. We all want a plane that is perfect. Ya know light weight, over powered, glides well, does preceision pattern flight, 3D's insanely well, stable at all speeds and is nearly free. Good luck.

T. Bob 02-25-2005 01:25 PM

edge_pilot

You are 100% right. I was expecting way to much out of this plane.
If you are a beginner pilot and you want something to fly around this plane will suffice.
But for serious 3D aerobatics buy something else.
Great planes, Inc. is in the business to sell model airplanes and they do that very well.

You know whats going to happen in a week or two, some video will be posted with some kid fllying the hell out this plane and make me look like a total fool.
Oh well it won't be the first time.

edge_pilot 02-25-2005 01:36 PM

the term i'm sick of hearing is "great low speed characteristics"[:'(] there low speed and mine are in different sectors of the universe. It don't bother me and I have learned not to trust marketing. I beleave the ARF market and planes in general have come leaps and bounds in the last 5 years, thats why we expect so much. The newbies to this hobby just really need to ask alot of questions. I think anybody would agree there is ALOT of junk out there trying to sell there stuff with marketing tactics. I love this hobby and don't like to see people go spend $300.00 on a setup to fly that the article made them think they can teach themselves to fly, only to realize it smashes really easy and a professional pilot probably couldn't have flown there setup. the term "buyer beware" in my opinion, is starting to play a big part in our wonderfull hobby.

Mike Wiz 02-25-2005 02:40 PM

I have one of these on my work bench right now. It's a little over half done. I wondering weather or not a made a mistake buying it. I hope not. [:o]
It looked pretty cool in the box and dosen't look to bad outside of the box either.

Did you guys use the stock power system?

Wiz

T. Bob 02-25-2005 04:22 PM

No went with brushless
What you need to do is stiffen the elevators you get way too much flew when flying.
Also lower the center of gravity on the battery. It seemed to me it sat so high on the wing that in a hover it would pull the plane over. Maybe cut the fabric and put it in the wing. The main thing is the elevators if you build per the instructions it's going to snap every time you pull back hard on the stick.
Please keep us posted I would like to have someone else's input on this plane.

Mike Wiz 02-25-2005 04:41 PM

I'll keep those recomendations in mind when I fly the plane for the first time. That way I can try to see if I experience what you are talking about. The elevator is very large on this plane, so I would expect it to induce a stall if you pulled back hard on it. I think I'll dial in some expo for traditional flying and only go to the high deflection for hovering and other 3D type manuvers.

The power system I'll be using is my tried and true AXI 2208/26 with Thunder Power 2S 1320 and an APC 10.3.8SF.

If all goes well I'll get a maiden flight in this weekend and post my impressions here.

Wiz

AcroJo 02-25-2005 05:58 PM

Whats the price? I wish manufacturers would start introducing two versions. One with the motor and one without, for brushless applications. I have too many brushed motors now. Joe

Mike Wiz 02-25-2005 06:12 PM

$65 at the LHS.

rdmonster 02-25-2005 11:02 PM

It was at my LHS also but was like 78 bucks. I thought the e-flite tribute and ultimate bi-plane looked much cooler and were cheaper as well. The Tribute was only 45 bucks and the ultimate was 50.The great planes looks alot more durable but it is kind of ugly.

budgetdude 02-25-2005 11:32 PM

I cant believe somebody signs off on this stuff.

grnd0 02-26-2005 08:34 AM

The thing is a sponge. How the .... is a sponge gonna fly!
The only thing that would be any fun with this "plane" is
see how high it could bounce on impact. What flyer is
this for??????? :(:(:(:(

Larry

teamsme 02-26-2005 02:55 PM

Well now Mr. Wolf this isnt the first rip off a deisgn you have done, the GP Sukhoi looks alot like the airwave that came out aout 2 years ago and these new ucando ep looks alot like the x2!?! This is a tough one. While your at it, Why don't you come out with a line of composite aircraft or to cut time why don't you just buy a bunch from comp arf. The only good gp design Ive ever flown was the 33% Extra.

Sean Ellis
[:@]

teamsme 02-26-2005 02:57 PM

ORIGINAL: WhtBronco

Well every manufacturer comes to market with an airplne that does not live up to expectations from time to time. Great Planes in general does have good planes available, IMO. I have had several over the years and been pleased with them.

I think we are more critical of planes these days though than in the past, even say 10 years ago. We all want a plane that is perfect. Ya know light weight, over powered, glides well, does preceision pattern flight, 3D's insanely well, stable at all speeds and is nearly free. Good luck.
We expect good deisngs because we have the technology, and we have the materials.

A little something I like to call R&D would prevent alot of this backfire from new GP Models

AcroJo 02-26-2005 05:04 PM

ORIGINAL: teamsme
Well now Mr. Wolf this isnt the first rip off a deisgn you have done, the GP Sukhoi looks alot like the airwave that came out aout 2 years ago and these new ucando ep looks alot like the x2!?!
Sean Ellis
[:@]

This is one gripe that I will never understand. Not just this one in particular, but the countless others that seem to get posted of every plane on the market. Just how radically different must a plane be so it is not considered a clone or a design ripoff? Not really much to work with, wings, fuse and a tail group. Maybe I'm missing something, Joe