RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Electric Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-electric-flying-237/)
-   -   Horizon Hobby Yak 54F, anyone fly yet? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-electric-flying-237/2828536-horizon-hobby-yak-54f-anyone-fly-yet.html)

Ryan 03-31-2005 06:50 PM

Horizon Hobby Yak 54F, anyone fly yet?

1 Attachment(s)
Greetings pilots,

Just wondering if any of you have flown the Yak 54F that was designed by Quique Somenzini. I heard he flew this plane in the eTOC so it must be pretty good I'm thinking? Any thoughts on this one?

Ryan,
New Orleans

Fred Dings II 03-31-2005 09:44 PM

RE: Horizon Hobby Yak 54F, anyone fly yet?

Yeah, I have some thoughts. I wish he had won etoc with his yak. I built the Tensor that won, and it looks like a stupid box kite. I haven't even flown it yet and maybe I won't. At least the Yak looks like a plane. I'm normally a gas and glow fuel pilot and I like the sound of an engine, and I like being able to fly in the wind.

I don't think electric is for me, but I do like the looks of that YAK.

Regards, FRED

TailTwister 04-01-2005 09:14 AM

There are plenty of good electrics that fly well in wind, just not a Tensor. :D

The Tensor pretty much is pushing the Depron planes as far as they will go, for now. It wasn't designed to be pretty, just 3D well. Notice I didn't say "fly well"? ;)

Anyway, the Quique foamy is sure to be a killer plane. I might have to get one myself.

I've often referred to my Tensor as "The Flying Spiderweb".

WRK 04-01-2005 10:45 AM

What small electric flies well in wind??

TailTwister 04-01-2005 11:16 AM

I've flown my Accel Hobby Katana 35 and Katana 30 in 8 to 10 mph with no problems. Right on the deck to about 50 feet high. Both do good.

I don't think I'd push it much past that, unless there is plenty of room.

The Pitts is maxed out at about 5 mph, and I don't know why. I guess the top wing just catches wind like a parachute or something. It has more side area too...

Mark Dennis 04-02-2005 10:18 PM

I flew mine today it flies really well but i did make some mods to it like adding anothe aileron servo because with one servo controlling those two big ailerons just didnt cut it. Tha plane flies really well and i like it alot.

Mark

TorkRollN 04-02-2005 10:28 PM

"What small electric flies well in wind??"

Here is a good electric plane for flying in the wind.
We get alot of comments from people watching it saying "I can't believe your flying it in this wind."

http://www.copperheadaviation.com/co...p?idProduct=29

Be sure to check out the videos of it on the video page also.

Barry Finck
Enola, PA

www.copperheadaviation.com

RickC2009 04-02-2005 11:21 PM

Barry,
Nice plane are they available yet?
Rickc

TorkRollN 04-03-2005 06:38 AM

Rick,

Yes the Copperhead Aviation Yak is avialable for purchase.
Click on the products link or give us a call or E-mail.

Barry Finck
Enola, PA
[email protected]

Desertrat 04-03-2005 09:25 AM

ORIGINAL: TorkRollN

Rick,

Yes the Copperhead Aviation Yak is avialable for purchase.
Click on the products link or give us a call or E-mail.

Barry Finck
Enola, PA
[email protected]

It sure looks nice, but the price tag is a bit high for something I'm going to beat against a tree over and over and over again.

zonker123 04-03-2005 10:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Built mine friday evening after picking it up from the hobby shop
I went ahead and installed two servos for the ailerons
Not had a chance to fly it yet though because of some the awful winds whipping around here in eastern NC all weekend
I will fly the electrics in 4 to 6 mph winds on a regular basis, you have to where I am at or you would hardly ever get the chance to fly at all unless I pull out the gassers. But this weekend the winds are 15 to 20 plus and thats just a bit too much.

The yak came out to weigh 14 -1/4 oz with a 900 3s TP pack installed and 15 oz with a 1320 3s, thats 3/4 of an oz heavier than my eflite Ultimate but the yak is definetly "stiffer" than the ulti. My servos are all HS -56 and they are a little on the heavy side compared to some others but they can take a lot of abuse. The motor is the Eflite 370 4100 on the standard gearbox, same combo on the ultimate is plenty of power so that should not be an issue here. As soon as the wind dies a bit I will fly it and see what happens.

zonk

lyndon915 04-06-2005 04:20 PM

Ok guys so I got my E-flight yak 54 in the air for the first time this morning. I had the battery in the nose and it balanced on the most forward part of the CG range. The plane flew very well but did not seem to like to harrier. I think this is was caused my the far forward CG and I have now moved the battery to between the landing gear and expect to have much better results with 3D tonight. Anyway other than that the plane few very well. even in the 5 mph wind that was blowing. It also seemed to have very little coupling while in knife edge and did some wonderfull rolling circles. Anyway I will say more later but for now this plane is a winner. Now i just want the Bipe that Quique flew at this years TOC.

taipalerm 04-10-2005 01:56 AM

Hey,

I maidened my E-Flite Yak yesterday and it flew very well! Now, the only problem is that I'm not getting enough deflection on the control surfaces and was wondering if you guys had any ideas. I'm running 3x HS-55s with the long(er) arms that come with the servos, but it seems they're not quite long enough. I already have the linkages/cables hooked up the the outer holes on the servo arms and and inner ones at the control surface. Does any company make longer arms for the HS-55s or should I consider running JR servos instead?

It was really windy when I flew it, but I'm thinking I may have to move the COG back a little, seemed a little nose heavy.

Great plane otherwise and pretty easy to put together!

Thanks in advance,

Ronnie

PlaneInsane 04-10-2005 09:16 PM

Ronnie, just cut some flat arms out of 1/32" ply the length you want and CA them to your existing arms. Also I flew my Yak today for the first time and from what I can tell it's an awesome plane. I have one servo on the ailerons and that is all it needs. The roll rate is super fast (finally found a foamy with a descent roll rate) and it harriers, torques and does all the 3d stufff great. I noticed it seems to have a bit of adverse roll coupling that is a bit different, but good. It also has a bit of pitch to the belly but not much. Haven't had a chance to mix it out yet. I'm getting another one for my other motor and speed controller so I'll have a backup to this great plane. The whole kit is really well done and worth the money!

Rich

Mike Parsons 04-11-2005 02:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had a blast with the Yak yesterday. I should have some video later today as it is being edited. I havent enjoyed a foamy so much since I first flew the shocky.

Mike Parsons 04-11-2005 02:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A few more.

vporrino 04-12-2005 01:54 PM

Rich, what servo are you using for ailerons, I would also like to install just one. I'm also curious

as to what motor, speed control, and batteries. what is your r.t.f. weight.

Thanks Vinny

vporrino 04-12-2005 01:57 PM

Rich, what servo are you using for ailerons, I would also like to install just one. I'm also curious

as to what motor, speed control, and batteries. what is your r.t.f. weight.

Thanks Vinny

Mike Parsons 04-13-2005 11:47 AM

A little video from Sundays outing....

[link=http://www.epowerflight.com/Media/Horizonyak.wmv]Horizon Yak-54[/link]

RickC2009 04-13-2005 01:31 PM

Nice video!
Rickc

-Fast-Eddie 04-14-2005 10:22 PM

What Reciever are you guys running? I just picked one of these up today and i have a Hitech Feather reciever on hand.... just curious :)

Mike Parsons 04-15-2005 06:12 AM

Thanks RickC.

Java,
I am using an Hitec 6 Electron with the case removed.

-Mike

patrnflyr 04-16-2005 08:48 PM

Okay, I need some help!!! I've framed up the plane and have a new Outrunner 400. It says to reverse the shaft by releasing the set screw and move through the stationary part of the motor. I was able to loosen the screw. In fact, I completely removed it and am looking at the shaft through the hole. I can't move the shaft. It has some form of Loctite or something on the set screw. The thing is bound down where I can't move it and I don't want to damage it by really "cranking down on it". If I can't get it fixed, can I just run the outrunner on the outside in the normal shocky way? As you can tell, I'm new to electrics!

Thanks in advance for your help...

TManiaci 04-16-2005 10:11 PM

Hi All,

Just brought home one of these... getting ready to build.

Planned setup is hardware from my HellRaiser... hoping it will work well.
AXI 2208/34
Jeti 8 A ESC
TP 1320 Lipo
Electron 6 Rx
4 HS55's

Any mod's I shold consider?

shannah 04-17-2005 12:16 AM

TManiaci:

2208/34 isn't enough for this one unless you plan on indoors only. 2212/26 or 34 are better choices.