RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Electric Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-electric-flying-237/)
-   -   Hl yak 55 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-electric-flying-237/2829521-hl-yak-55-a.html)

nate1001 03-31-2005 11:05 PM

Hl yak 55

Has anyone got one of theses yet? It looks like a good deal for $19.95 as long as it flies as good as it looks.

[link]http://www.hobby-lobby.com/yak55.htm[/link]

brownstone101 04-01-2005 12:18 AM

RE: Hl yak 55

ya im geting into 3D and i was looking at that 2 liiks cool for 20 if it flys and its durable heck if it beakes 20$ re install every thing be back on in a week:D so ya i have the same ? i think im going to go for it and get 2 3Ds and inter change the parts i have alot of time on my hands any way i could inter change in 45 mins

brownstone101 04-01-2005 12:21 AM

for my 1st 3D i have an comander but for 1st 3D the yak for 20$
or this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5955721857

Big Barry 04-01-2005 03:23 PM

I just ordered two and two SK400XT-ESSKAY 400XT Outrunner Brushless motors. I hope the motors will be good enough to get things going. This is my first step into E-3D. I fly glo-3D and am looking for an alternative to $30/gal fuel and long waits and trips to the flying field.

My son lost interest in R/C planes because of the amount of time and money, when we saw the ease of the new profile 3-D's and the ability to hover and fly indoors or in the front yard we were sold. I will let you know how things turn out when I get the planes. Now I just have to get about $300 worth of E-flight stuff to get the things in the air, we dont even have a Li-Poly charger we are starting from scratch.

Has anyone used the SK400XT-ESSKAY 400XT Outrunner Brushless motors from Hobby Lobby? I figured they will at least get the planes in the air and get my son flying again.

slinger15 04-02-2005 06:35 PM

I just ordered one for my first 3d plane with a 400XT brushless motor. Looks like a great plane.

Big Barry 04-05-2005 12:19 PM

Just got the e-mail from Hobby Lobby, my planes and motors have been sent Fed-Ex and should arrive on Friday. I will post pictures and my thoughts when they get here.

FYRWALKER 04-07-2005 09:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hey ya'll,
i have one of these planes and it's blast to fly:D mine's set up with a e-flite park 370 outrunner and speed control, gws servo's and receiver.i nosed it in hard trying to miss a pear tree,ouch! it looks bad but it was real easy to fix and for 20.00 it's a great bang for the buck!! here's some pic's.

rcflyer96 04-07-2005 09:42 PM

How is everyone setting these up?? Looking for my first foamy... if you can give your set up that would be great!! Batt, Esc, Servos, RX etc...... oh and will the brusless motor HL recommends work good??

thanks alot guys!!

bdavison 04-07-2005 10:47 PM

Big Barry,

I have to HIGHLY recommend the Triton charger from Great Planes. It is hands down the best one out there. It will literally charge anything. Easy to set-up, and you can change between types, voltages, and amps in seconds. Its become a integral part of my flying kit. Its one of those rare products that screams "I was designed by flyers not some dungeon engineer". Great Planes gets two thumbs up for this one. They clearly did some SPECTACULAR outstanding market research before designing it.

Big Barry 04-07-2005 11:35 PM

bdavision

Thanks I looked at that charger and I will probly end up getting it. In the mean time I picked up the Celectra 1-3 cell charger from E-flite, it was only $45 and it will get us started. Im going to use HS-55's, E-flite 20 amp esc, Esskay 400 XT outrunner, GWS R-6NII, Thunder Power 3s 900 mah, APC 10x3.8. I got an e-mail from Hobby Lobby and they said that the Yak in the Video used the 400 XT motor. I cant wait they are supposed to arrive tomarrow. Dont tell me you got the Triton charger for $45. LOL

Big Barry 04-07-2005 11:39 PM

FYRWALKER

How long did it take you to get it in the air? I was thinking that I could get it together in about 4-5 hours, does that sound about right?

FYRWALKER 04-08-2005 09:48 AM

i had it put together in about 2 1/2 hours, i was watching tv while putting it together. had to wait to maiden it it was too windy. i used packing tape for the hinges, saves some time.

Big Barry 04-09-2005 12:55 AM

Got it today and I have it all put together except the hardware. I will mount everything in the morning and fly it in the afternoon or when ever it gets done. The Lipo is charged I have some soldering to do and it should be in the air soon. Watch the excelerator, I melted mine in some places, white glue works well in some areas. Do you guys use thin CA or medium or thick? I got thin but I was thinking mabey medium would be better.

FYRWALKER 04-09-2005 09:30 AM

Hope you are talking about foam safe ca,i used e-flite foam safe ca and exellrater and 5min expoy for the motor mount.regular ca will melt foam on contact[:@], done it before, din't know better.

Big Barry 04-09-2005 08:13 PM

It was foam safe and it still melted with excellerator. Dont accidently plug the esc into the Batt terminal on your RX, you cannot keep the smoke in the wires, we had a bit of a melt down but we salvaged it and after a 2hr trip to town and four different stores we finally got power to the motor. YEH! Too windy to fly we will rise early tomarrow and get it in the air.

Big Barry 04-09-2005 08:49 PM

Do I need to be concerned about the orientation of the prop when I land? It seems that sometimes when I cut the throttle the prop stops at 12 and 6 O'clock and sometimes it stops at 9 and 3. Do you keep trying to get it to stop so that it is out of the way or what? I always set my glo engines so that if the engine stops the prop is at 2 and 7, but it doesnt really matter if you have wheels. This is my first electric and my first plane without landing gear.

FYRWALKER 04-10-2005 09:04 AM

get a good prop saver, it'll let the prop fold back on landing,just be shure to kill the trottle before landing. i made the mistake and cut off some foam off the nose when it folded back! [:@]ouch.

Big Barry 04-10-2005 11:09 AM

I got a flight in this morning and it was fun. It needed a few clicks of down elevator, I think my CG is a bit on the tail side, it snaps over on full up or down elevator. I am getting it dialed in. Its alot faster than I thought it would be. I have to find that balance so I can fly it slow and steady. It does fly nice and slow but I have to watch the altitude and throttle management to keep it aloft. The Battery is back on charge and if the wind stys down I should be back at the park inabout an hour. The power is surprising, hover at half throttle.

I had some changes to my set-up as this is what the LHS had in stock.

GWS 1050 mah 3s
E-flite 10x4.7-had to drill to fit prop adapter.

Big Barry 04-10-2005 01:42 PM

No more yellow and pink Yak-55, wind got it pulling out of a spin-desintegrated the front end. Hard ware was good though so we will start on my son's black and blue one. I just hope we can get this one together quicker. Over all I was happy with the plane, it was my first foamy and it lasted for two battery charges, I hope I can get the future ones to last longer.LOL At $19.90 I can afford to lose a few but the time to set up was time consumming. Oh well its a hobby. It was fun watching my son fly again and enjoy himself, thats what its all about. He got some good landings in the grass. This thing falls as soon as the throttle is cut, so we just flew down about a foot off the grass held some up elevator and killed the power and it just skids in no problem.

Big Barry 04-10-2005 07:51 PM

Three hours from box to air with the existing hardware. I think you could add another half hour if I had to make the pushrods again. Flew good but the power seemed lacking, oh well my son got about 12 solid minutes of flight at half throttle and felt really comfortable flying it around. It is a fun little plane.

ghee-grose 04-13-2005 09:59 AM

I've got one! Haven't crashed it yet!!!! **it's still in the box** :eek:

Maybe one day I will stick it together and put the outrunner on it and see what it will do. I got he motor that HobbyLobby recommends with it....looks like a nice motor...$30!

Big Barry 04-13-2005 10:09 AM

I think the SK400XT is a fine motor, I think my lipo is lacking as it is only a 6c rated battery, plus I screwd up and dead shorted it when hooking everything up. It seems fine but I think the capacity and power is down. Mabey its just me, I'm used to YS power.LOL I'm picking up a Thunder Power 1300 mah 3s today and some new props.

ghee-grose 04-13-2005 10:22 AM

My two batteries that I will run it with are

1. Kokam 3-cell 640mah 10C nominal

2. ThunderPower 3-cell 1320mah (lower C rating, maybe 6?)

I will mainly run the Kokam on it, but might use the TP every now and then.

Gary

Big Barry 04-13-2005 10:53 PM

Weighed it on a digital fish scale 9.6 oz with a TP 3s 1320 mah. Its snowing and the wind is still blowing, I'll be lucky if I get to fly anything this week.

FYRWALKER 04-15-2005 03:34 PM

Something happend to my apogee 2s 830 pack[&o],on it's 3rd charge seems like it's lost it power. it lasted about 5min. and just din't have any omp. before i was getting 15 min. out of it. put it back on charge and it said it was fully charge(the charger beep's when done.). what ya'll think?