RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Electric Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-electric-flying-237/)
-   -   e-flite mini edge 540 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-electric-flying-237/3359604-e-flite-mini-edge-540-a.html)

flyguy33240 11-21-2005 05:15 PM

RE: e-flite mini edge 540

Hey everyone - Just bought the Edge 540 and I was wondering what motor would be better: The Park 400 brushless inrunner, or the Himax 2025-5300. Any help would be great. Thanks

Hotshot Charlie 11-22-2005 10:55 AM

Hey flyguy,

I am using a HiMax 2816-0890 Outrunner, I was going to use the HiMax 2025-4200 but decided to go strictly outrunners. Tired of fooling around with gears. I think the 2025-4200 would be MORE than enough to pull your ME around.

Now, if this darn wind would lay down..... I wanna fly my ME !!!

flyguy33240 11-22-2005 04:48 PM

Thanks Hotshot - I already bought a Park 400 when I bought the airplane, do you think it would be too underpowered? The Park 400 is what e-flight recommended, but i've been hearing that it's not enought. Let me know. Thanks

Sean McDonnell 11-22-2005 06:14 PM

Jeff,

I also would like to consider myself an experienced aerobatic and freestyle pilot. I have been flying mainly 35-40% planes for the past 10 yrs. or so but have recently been quite taken by the new revolution in electric miniature type flying. There's nothing like being able to freestyle a $50.00 plane just like a 40 lb. $6,000.00 plane without having to worry about pushing yourself beyond your own limits and breaking the bank. Since I caught the electric bug, I've bought and flown alot of foamies with lots of success. But as far as the Mini Edge, I have come to realize it doesn't offer the same type of slow- high alpha flight that you can get from the lighter foamies.

As far as snapping, I had the same problem the 1st couple of flights. Roll back your elevator travel to about 3/8ths of an inch up and down and you should be able to solve that problem. You'll have plenty of travel for high speed flight but you'll have to switch over to high rates when you start hovering. The Mini Edge is one of the easiest planes to torque roll. Just remember to switch back to low rates real fast when you transition to normal flight because the mini edge is the most unstable plane at slow high alpha flight. This is the reason I'm dissapointed in this plane. You can fly around fast all day long with no trouble; but who wants to do that? Slow down and you have a plane that's dying to fall from the sky and twitchy and snappy IT IS! I find myself switching the high rate switch back and forth every other second with this plane.

As far as flex in the wings... I picked up my ME from under the wing tips and noticed very little flex. I find myself looking at the ME often. It's easy to adore the beauty of this plane, unfortunately I never fly it because I have other planes that fly so much better. Oh well.

Jeff Hendricks 11-22-2005 06:31 PM

Sean

I totally agree. I am doing the same thing. Low rate, High rate, Low rate. I do believe the wing flex has something to do with the terrible snap. I could be wrong. My Mini Katana flies much better. Wings are much stiffer. I think even the Mini Funtana is better then the ME, and I don’t really like how it flies.

Overall, I love the concept of these mini E’s. Right now my favorite is the Mini Katana. At least until someone comes out with a Mini YAK ! What is your favorite ?

Thanks

Sean McDonnell 11-22-2005 08:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeff Hendricks

Sean

I totally agree. I am doing the same thing. Low rate, High rate, Low rate. I do believe the wing flex has something to do with the terrible snap. I could be wrong. My Mini Katana flies much better. Wings are much stiffer. I think even the Mini Funtana is better then the ME, and I don’t really like how it flies.

Overall, I love the concept of these mini E’s. Right now my favorite is the Mini Katana. At least until someone comes out with a Mini YAK ! What is your favorite ?

Thanks

It's funny you ask... My favorite just happens to be the E-flight Yak 54f designed by Quique Somenzini. The yak is unreal. Fly it at a snails pace and its its as stable as can be. No coupling at all whatsoever. The most incredible knive edge I've ever seen and beautiful High alpha rolling circles; flat spins; rolling harriers; all very easy and very slow with this plane. I also have the E-flight ultimate fx and the Ikarus Yak as well. I've had a couple of the other shock flyers from Ikarus, but there newer Yak is the best by far. I've flown some of the hobby lobby foamies at the field, but they weren't mine so they weren't set up for me but I could tell with some tinkering they would be alot of fun. The only thing I wasn't happy with as far as the Ikarus shockflyers was the fact that there is no firewall. The engine simply gets glued to the foam cross brace (fuselage face). One light prop strike and the engine goes flying and the plane needs major repair work. That's where E-flight came in for me. There planes fly like the lighter shockflyers from Ikarus, but with a lightweight plywood firewall to mount the engine. (except of course the ME and MF)

Hotshot Charlie 11-23-2005 12:20 AM

Hey Sean,

Are you running a Outrunner on the Eflite Yak 54? If not, have you heard what the best Outrunner is for it? BTW, I'm a HiMax fan, plus our only local hobby guy keeps them in stock. ;)

Jeff Hendricks 11-23-2005 06:43 AM

E-flight Yak 54f ? Is that the Foamy ? I wish someone made a mini built up in a Yak.

jstok 11-23-2005 12:26 PM

I agree with prev comments having flown all sorts of R/C for more years than
i care to think about,i was reluctent to be beaten by any model but i gave up on the
Edge and sold it . Its SO difficult to set up to do anything worth while with, i tried diff props
thrust lines balance,but the only way to go is low/high rates, the thing will snap on you at
anytime.
The e flite Yak is another matter SUPERB great speed range and balance flys like a much
larger 3D pattern model my set up

parkfly 400 920kv
10x5e prop
dual servos on ail
kavan hinges (see thread)
800 mah new 20c flightpower packs
all the throw you can get with 40% expo

Hovers half throttle

Jeff Hendricks 11-23-2005 02:07 PM

But that YAK is a Foamy ? Looking for a YAK build up like the ME, MF and Mini Katana.

Hotshot Charlie 11-23-2005 02:50 PM

Yep, the Eflite Yak 54 is a foamy.

cje0114 11-23-2005 04:44 PM

What we really need is a small built up Ultimate biplane. Now that would be fun.

Chris

Jeff Hendricks 11-23-2005 04:48 PM

Yes. And a Yak. Bigger though. 45 inches for the new Torq motor from extreme flight. It is almost to much for the Mini Katana. Need a bird 1 size larger.

Sean McDonnell 11-23-2005 06:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Hotshot Charlie

Hey Sean,

Are you running a Outrunner on the Eflite Yak 54? If not, have you heard what the best Outrunner is for it? BTW, I'm a HiMax fan, plus our only local hobby guy keeps them in stock. ;)
Hey Rob,

I couln't reccomend which hi-max to put in the yak because I'm not familiar with those motors. Although I've heard nothing but good thing about them. As far as my E-flight Yak, I have the park 400 outrunner in it and I can hover right around half throttle and there's plenty left for reserve. Most of the flying I do is just below 1/2 throttle so I haven't even considered taking out the Park 400 and replacing it with the Park 450. The fact that I already have a Park 450 outrunner sitting on my dresser and haven't bothered to put it in the Yak should be evidence to you just how good the 400 powers it. I use the TP 1320 ma Lipo but the manual also recommends the TP 800 ma (or something in that range). Have fun!!

Sean McDonnell 11-23-2005 06:08 PM

ORIGINAL: cje0114

What we really need is a small built up Ultimate biplane. Now that would be fun.

Chris
I know everyone has their own opinions, but I'm beginning to believe that the heavier built up electrics (ME, MF, MK) just don't fly as well as the foamies. I'd be interested to hear from someone who has actually flown the built up Yak designed by Quique Somenzini. Now there's a plane thats built up but still has the light weight and wing loading comparable to the lighter foamies.

Jeff Hendricks 11-23-2005 06:14 PM

So there is a build up E Yak ? Where do I find that ? I certainly do not exspect any mini built up to fly like a foamy. No chance of that.

Hotshot Charlie 11-23-2005 06:52 PM

So Sean, that is the Park 400 Outrunner you are using.... heck, 1/2 throttle hover is all anyone needs. I think a Yak is in my future ! I also would like to see a built up E-Yak !

Anyone tried the Ultimate "built-up" Foamy? Something like a Ultimate EX or something like that???

Folks, I've been flying helicopters (nitro) for about 2 years, but I am having soooo much fun with the electric "planks" that it's just about pulled me away from the heli's. I am getting ready to build a ARK X-400 Heli. Got it all here, just need to get busy and build it. That's my next electric project.

BTW, I've been flying R/C since the late 1970's... (old fart), so been around the block a few times. Electric is the most fun I've had in years.

Jeff Hendricks 11-23-2005 06:57 PM

Best E heli is the T Rex. Just my 2 cents.

Hotshot Charlie 11-23-2005 10:11 PM

No doubt the T-Rex is the king...... but the price of the Ark X400 is the king of low prices and it's pretty much a copy of the T-Rex, with more Bling and it uses a metal frame instead of the plastic frame. We will see how it does. I have had a Shogun V1, it's junk. I haven't tried the Shogun V2, but very skeptical on any of their products.

Now back to the Edge 540..... I am still reserving judgement on mine. I like the way it flew my first flights, but the wind didn't let me do much with it. I have a feeling all the posts above will prove to be true and the same in mine. But, I will hope for better results.

Sean McDonnell 11-23-2005 10:11 PM

Hey Rob,

Yeah! I have the new built up Ultimate Foamy. It flys awesome! Almost as good as the yak. The only difference is the coupling which was pretty bad but I was able to mix it out with my transmitter. Once you dial out the coupling it's an incredible flier. I also fly the ultimate with the Park 400 outrunner.

Jeff,

I should mention that the Yak has built up wings but it IS a profile plane. But for the price (around $100) it looks like one hell of a plane. And if it flies good enouph for Quique, it's got to be awesome. Run a search on google for the Yak and throw in Quique Somenzini's name and I'm sure you'll find it real quick. It usually pops up with the foam yak by Quique. Good Luck!

Jeff Hendricks 11-24-2005 06:46 AM

Thanks for the info. I am all good in the foamy front. I fly the Kahoona. Been flying it for almost 2 years. It is not in production yet. About 1 month out. I think I have flown every foamy but the Yak you mention. I am sold on the Kahoona and not looking for another foamy. Just a build up mini yak.

Thanks

Jeff Hendricks 11-24-2005 06:52 AM

Well I am giving up on the ME. Tried everything. It just does not fly as good as the Mini Katana. Look good and is cheap, but performance is poor. I think it is in part the weight. Once you put a strong motor (Hacker A30 out runner) and a good Bat, (2100 TP Li Pi), maybe it is to heavy and to much wing loading. Or it could be all that flex in the wings.

So to anyone who likes the ME or the MF, Do not try the Mini Katana unless you are ready to buy one. They outperform the ME and MF by a long shot. Now it is bigger, so more motor and bat is needed, but it is better made and it flies better.

Later

Sean McDonnell 11-24-2005 07:07 AM

Jeff,

Here is a link to the built up Yak.

http://www.somenzini.com/eyak54.htm

at 15 oz. flying weight, it's no heavier than the foamy Yak by E-flight!

Hotshot Charlie 11-24-2005 07:54 AM

Hey Jeff,

Have you tried the ME on a small battery pack? I only have 2100 packs at this time, but wonder if lightening the load would make a difference?

I hope I have better luck with my ME than you guys. If the wind is down, I will be flying it this morning.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING AND GOD BLESS !

Sean McDonnell 11-24-2005 01:04 PM

Hey Rob,

Did you get to fly your ME this morning? How did it go? I sure would like to know if you had better luck than I did. Thanks!!