RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Electric Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-electric-flying-237/)
-   -   Slow Ride? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-electric-flying-237/3778402-slow-ride.html)

bdavison 01-15-2006 05:14 PM

Slow Ride?

1 Attachment(s)
After flying this plane in the sim, I would like to add it to my collection.
If anyone knows where to aquire this plane inside the US, I would appreciate it.

flyerboy7800 01-15-2006 05:24 PM

RE: Slow Ride?

I have seen a video of it. Simply amazing that it can fly that slow with that amount of stabilty. I'm in the same boat with you dont know where to get one but i want one. Its mainly a indoor pattern plane, and that is more of a European market so I dont know if you can get one in the states.

STLPilot 01-15-2006 07:02 PM

I've been trying to distribute this plane for a long time. He never has any in stock to sell me. [:o][:o]

I mean I'm only looking for 1,000 of them, that's not asking too much. Cept he makes them all by hand in between school.

Devin McGrath 01-15-2006 10:24 PM

I'm sure he would sell allot of them over here if he could get them mass produced

Evanator 01-16-2006 01:23 AM

It's a nice plane and i I personally think it's pretty awesome. I think you can buy it from Greatplane or Hobby Lobby

perttime 01-16-2006 01:58 AM

Sascha seems to have some sort of a semi kit (white fuselage, surfaces) available for 45 Euro. Shipping (outside Europe) is 25-27 Euro.
http://www.slow-flyer.com/slowride.html

1000 of them? Might take a while.

bdavison 01-16-2006 10:13 AM

It flys slow because of the airbrakes on the cabane struts. I thought perhaps the sim was unrealistic, till I watched that video of the F3Ai pattern on their website. Now I want one bad. It does the most incredible one roll rolling circles out there. Hovers pretty good too. Really smooth.

I might have to scratch build one if I cant find one.

Anyone have plans for it?

flyerboy7800 01-16-2006 07:20 PM

I know I simply couldn't not believe it when i saw the pattern vid. It was so cool to watch a plane preform that slow and yet so stable and controllable.

FlyerGirl 01-16-2006 10:58 PM

Last year I emailed Sascha about a kit . The kit and shipping would be on the expensive side (close to $100). You might want to try the Smove by Manuel Nubel it flys as slowly if you really keep it light. It has built in drag cabanes. Flying at 3800 feet above sea level it flys at a walking pace.

:D

bdavison 01-17-2006 12:08 AM

Got a link to it..?

You werent by chance the girl flying the F3Ai pattern in the video?

FlyerGirl 01-17-2006 01:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ooooopppsss!

Here is the link http://slowflyworld.de/austausch/slo...smove-plan.pdf

No that wasn't me, but its really good to see some other female flyers. Here are a couple of pics of the first I built to see how it would fly.

bdavison 01-17-2006 09:47 AM

Sweet.....thanks for the link.

Ill be building one of these VERY soon.

By the way, what kind of linkages are those on the ailerons? Ive never seen any like that before.

FlyerGirl 01-17-2006 10:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The linkages are just carbon rod with heat shrink hinges, they work really well. The elevator and rudder are pull-pull and the nose is 6mm epp.

Here are a couple of websites where I study the pictures for ideas like the heat shrink joints.

http://www.rcmania.cz/ look at the lower right for indoor videos

http://www.rclineforum.de/forum/thre...&hilightuser=0 The slowflyer forum has a lot of good stuff, this link goes straight to Sascha's VPP airplane.

bdavison 01-17-2006 10:51 AM

OH WOW...heat shrink...Why didnt I ever think of that....easy to install. Hmmmm.....just had a "DUH" moment.
So you've never had it slip off? Im assuming those are just carbon rods glued into the surfaces?

I wish I could read Czech...or Slavic,Croatian...what ever that is. There are some cool planes on that site.

FlyerGirl 01-17-2006 12:27 PM

The heat shrink actually never has slipped off. It's low bucks and light. Too bad there are not any online translation tools for Czech, but hey a pictures worth a ...

:D

Devin McGrath 01-17-2006 01:20 PM

thanks for the links !!!

Brian I just did these heat shrik connections on my new night flying shockflyer for the ailerons I will ger a picture to you soon. you will like this one.

perttime 01-17-2006 01:34 PM

I think people put in a drop of CA to make sure the heat shrink stays put.

bdavison 01-17-2006 01:54 PM

Yeah, I can read the German, but the Czech is totally foriegn to me.
There are some really nice planes on there. Real clean designs well thought out. Some of the linkages are awesome. That pull/pull cable pulley system Sascha has on the ailerons of the VPP plane is impressive. Very light weight.

I've been watching these competition pilots. They've got little tricks and modifications that really seperate a good flying plane from the AWESOME ones.

Devin McGrath 01-17-2006 02:00 PM

Brian they sure do have some neat tricks I would like to see how they do the streamers.

bdavison 01-17-2006 02:38 PM

You know those little Champagne bottle things where you pull the string and it goes POP and paper streamers come out..... Mount the champagne bottle to the side of the plane, tie the string to a servo.....

At the appropriate time...Hit the switch.....POP...out come streamers.

There's something Ive been wanting for a long time....

I'd like to see a mix of Precision 3D combined with music, and even start adding flair to the performances. Themed airplanes and performances.

Picture going to a flying competition. You sit down in the bleachers. A door at the end of the arena opens up, you see fog come in from the door, this light backlights the fog....You hear Metallica's "For whom the bell tolls" start playing...BONG....BONG.....all of a sudden this plane comes zipping out through the fog inverted right down on the deck, the music picks up the beat. The plane has a big tombstone painted on the top, and a silohette of a cowboy on a horse (or something). The pilot is standing on the side dressed in head to toe like a old west gunfighter. The plane starts doing these over the top insane 3D maneuvers. The pilot pulls the plane up into a hover. This guy dressed like a gunfighter walks through the door. Its a dual. Between the plane and the gunfighter. The gun fighter draws and fires a shot (fake of course). The pilot drops the nose into a blender, indicating it was "hit". Right before it hits the ground, he snaps it back up into a hover. A strobe light flashes, the gunfighter collapses. The plane wins..............

You get the idea. Make indoor 3D flying like a theatrical performance.

You have to admit, if you went to a flying competition like that, it would KICK SERIOUS ***

Perhaps have it judged like the olympic skating programs, scores for
technical difficulty, presentation, originality, etc.

bdavison 01-17-2006 03:40 PM

Devin, most of the streamers that they have hooked to the wingtips is regular VCR tape. They just take a VCR tape, and pull out the appropriate length from a old bum cassette, and tape it to the wingtips. Its lightweight, but it adds ALOT of drag. Ive tried it a couple of times.