RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Electric Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-electric-flying-237/)
-   -   Eflite Edge 540 BP 3D ARF - Comments?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-electric-flying-237/6016205-eflite-edge-540-bp-3d-arf-comments.html)

tcclong 06-21-2007 11:53 AM

Eflite Edge 540 BP 3D ARF - Comments??

Eflite just came out with a new, small 3D ARF that looks pretty nice. It is just out. Has anyone flown this? Does anyone know how good it is?

It looks very similar to the Cap 232 BP ARF. It is newer, so I assume newer is better right?
It looks like it has really large control surfaces - so good 3D performance. And it small enough (35.5 inch wingspan) and light enough (16 oz) to fly in a small park.

Here is a link that gives all the info: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2600

So what do you think about this plane?

TR

FlooredCOBRA 06-24-2007 08:36 AM

RE: Eflite Edge 540 BP 3D ARF - Comments??

I just bought this plane the other day. I love this thing! It is my very first small electric plane in ages. I used to fly electrics way before brushless and Lipo batteries. I lot has changed!

I grabbed this one from the hobby shop last week. It was quick to build and get going. Directions are pretty detailed and well explained. I flew this thing in my yard for first flight. It took off and required one click of left trim and that was it. It flew a little tail heavy for me at first so I moved the battery. I think I found a good spot for it now cause it handles very easily. Inverted flat spins look nice and Knife Edge passes are an ease. To me it flies just like the bigger nitro and gasser Edges. Same good characteristics.

It is weird flying something so small but a lot of fun. I'll get the hang of it and will be flying it like a gasser. Good plane I would give it a shot. Only thing just getting into it was kind of expensive to me I thought for what it was. It was around $335 for plane SC motor battery and servos and prop. Planes don't cost anything hardly its the electronics. Good thing is I have those now so plane shopping should be fun now.

EpoweredRC 06-24-2007 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: FlooredCOBRA

I just bought this plane the other day. I love this thing! It is my very first small electric plane in ages. I used to fly electrics way before brushless and Lipo batteries. I lot has changed!

I grabbed this one from the hobby shop last week. It was quick to build and get going. Directions are pretty detailed and well explained. I flew this thing in my yard for first flight. It took off and required one click of left trim and that was it. It flew a little tail heavy for me at first so I moved the battery. I think I found a good spot for it now cause it handles very easily. Inverted flat spins look nice and Knife Edge passes are an ease. To me it flies just like the bigger nitro and gasser Edges. Same good characteristics.

It is weird flying something so small but a lot of fun. I'll get the hang of it and will be flying it like a gasser. Good plane I would give it a shot. Only thing just getting into it was kind of expensive to me I thought for what it was. It was around $335 for plane SC motor battery and servos and prop. Planes don't cost anything hardly its the electronics. Good thing is I have those now so plane shopping should be fun now.
The price for Electronics is just how it is, I hope they will come down soon, so many coming out with them, I would think they would have to. That is a nice looking plane Havent seen anyone with one, I would get one but i like a built up fuse I been flying profiles for ever and want a real looking plane

FlooredCOBRA 06-24-2007 08:04 PM

I am just the opposite. I been flying full fuse for ever and going to this profile for this size I think was a good combo. Matter fact I just now got done flying and its almost 9pm here in Ga. It flies so perfect at this time when there is no wind.

I absolutely love this plane. Very nice change from the bigger ones when you dont feel like loading up and heading to field. Just toss in the yard and go flying. I still not sure how long i get from my battery. I set my timer for about 7 minutes on a 1320mah 3 cell. I set it way early so i could make sure i wouldnt fly on dead battery. My timer kept going for another 4 1/2 to 5 minutes before I landed. Even then I hit the throttle and let it run for about 2 minutes wide open before i could hear the battery start to drop. I was going to get a 2100mah but as long as its flying like this i think i will just get another 1320 mah pack. I usually dont fly over 10 minutes anyways no matter what i am flying. So looks like I will set my timer for 10 min and call it a day.

I would recomend this plane to anyone. It flies awesome. Hovers are a no brainer when there is no wind. Very little TR while in hover, really makes for easy hovering. Just really a fun plane to fly, feels like it just wont stall from the air. RH are nice and predictable. To bad its dark now or I would fly again.

tcclong 06-25-2007 10:22 AM

That's good to hear that you like the plane. I just got mine. It's in the box in the garage, so maybe I will start building it tonight. Hopefully it won't take too long. It looks pretty simple. It looks similar to my Funtana S40 glo plane - just a lot smaller. I love the small electric planes because it takes way too much to drag all the gas stuff out to the field. What motor are you using. I am planning on trying my Hacker A20-22L on it. Hopefully that has enough power. How much did your plane weigh, all up?

FlooredCOBRA 06-25-2007 01:26 PM

I have no clue on the weight. What ever it weighs it floats nicely. I ran with the E Flight 450 brushless outboard and matching 20 amp speed control. I thought it was kind of weird the whole can on motor spins with the shaft. Things have really changed. Next I am going to try that flying boat thing from Hobby Lobby. Think I may be getting the electric bug here.

chazdraves 06-25-2007 04:59 PM

^-- Just don't expect too much from those flying boats :) They're a neat gag, much akin to the flying doghouse/lawnmower, but they're no plane.

Just my $.02
- Chaz

malcolmm 06-26-2007 09:48 AM

ORIGINAL: FlooredCOBRA

I have no clue on the weight. What ever it weighs it floats nicely. I ran with the E Flight 450 brushless outboard and matching 20 amp speed control. I thought it was kind of weird the whole can on motor spins with the shaft. Things have really changed. Next I am going to try that flying boat thing from Hobby Lobby. Think I may be getting the electric bug here.
From what I have read elsewhere they are coming out at around 17 ounces, which is a reasonable weight given the large wing area.

Does anyone have any comment on how much knife edge coupling there is? I was interested in the Cap, but I read reports that it had a lot of coupling, hopefully the Edge is better.

Malcolm

chips303 06-26-2007 09:00 PM

Just pick one up, man what a plane. I just dismantled a monte foamy for the new life in the edge 540. had 2 pounds of glue on the monte, time for retirement. The build, so far, too easy. Just a matter of time for the glue to dry, to move to the next step. I'm at the hings right now. Have plains now flying this weekend. I'll post test flight later

Himax 2816-1220
apc 10x4.7 prop
25 amp castle sc
Berg 4 ch RX
Eflite s75 servo's
TP 1320 mah 3cell lipo

FlooredCOBRA 06-26-2007 11:28 PM

As for coupling doe does but very little. Also depends on how much rudder you use. I like to give max rudder and putt as slow as I can. It couples some but very minimal and easy to correct. If I do program some in it will be like 2-5% if that. Its that minimal. I did notice that it couples a lot to one side compared to the other. I seen that today when I was flying. I want to say it does it when KE to the right and canopy facing you.

Oh yeah, Last nite I was flying on my sim and had my radio set on the sim program. Today when I went to fly i completely forgot about it. I havent been flying anything but this plane so i thought I was okay. I tossed plane in air and it started to roll fast to the right and smacked the ground nose in. My neighbor was watching so I felt like an idiot. The only thing it broke was my motor stick mount. I put some thick CA on it and went back outside and flew it again, this time no wreck.

Also on the weight is that with or without the battery?

tcclong 06-27-2007 11:49 AM

I would also be interested to know if that weight includes the battery. That's good to hear about the crash. One of my biggest concerns with this plane is that it will explode into a pile of splinters the first time I mess up and hit the ground. It looks like there is nothing to this plane. I was going to get an airfoilz at first becuase it seem like it would handle crashes better.

I put the control surfaces on last night. So far, this kit is pretty nice! They include a lot of those little things like the little connectors with the tiny screws that you need to attach the control rod to the servos. This is the easiest ARF build that I've done so far. Tomorrow I hope to get the hear on and start working on servos.

Spiccoli 06-27-2007 12:04 PM

I just finished my Edge but haven't flown it yet. Unforunately, living in D/FW right now there is so much rain that I may not fly before next week. My Edge came out at just slightly over 16 ounces. This was with a 910 mah TP, Torque 20T motor, Phoenix 25, Berg 4 rec., and four HS-55.

3D-Flyer Kevin 06-29-2007 09:41 AM

Wow....... I've been on vacation, and heard alot about it but is there really that much rain........IN TEXAS wow. I'm suprised because I live in DFW aswell and last year we barely had any rain.

Kevin

Spiccoli 06-29-2007 03:57 PM

I live in D/FW and travel all over the state on my job. Take my word for it, there's some serious water out there dude! I finished my Edge on Tuesday night. I was ready for the maiden last night but had to run for cover because a T-storm was about to hit. I may get to do it tonight, but I'm waiting to see if the wind dies just a little.

Spiccoli 06-29-2007 09:53 PM

Got a short maiden in this evening before the thunderstorm. Flew great, no aileron trim needed. Only a couple clicks of down elevator. Tracks great, hovers great once you get it locked in. Landing gear is pretty terrible. The metal is way too soft and bends too easily. Plan on reinforcing or replacing. I've temporarily got it reinforced. After this weekend, I'll adapt my Lil Banchee style landing gear to it and chunk the stock stuff.

Spiccoli 06-29-2007 09:54 PM

I might add that my landing wasn't bad at all, especially for my first time landing that particular plane. It certainly didn't land hard enough to have pancaked the gear like it did.

tcclong 07-01-2007 08:11 AM

I did my maiden flight yesterday as well. I gave it full power to get it off the ground. Whew, I just about lost it. I had everything set up at full rates and that thing was snappy! I cut the power to half stick and it was much easier to control. I finally got everything set up with DR and expo, and now it flies great. It's a light airplane. Snap rolls were a little slugglish, but I have to eventually put everything back to full rates to see how it performs. I agree about the landing gear! The front gear are worthless. They bend out on every landing. I drilled a hole on each and tied a string between them to keep them from spreading. I flew with a friend who has an airfoilz and he plops it down on the gear hard all the time and his just bounces right back, no problem. I also never found the tail wheel, so I had to make my own. I also noticed that this plane is a little hard to see up there. The yellow see-through monokote doesn't show up that well. The red stripe in the front of the plane is the only way to tell which way the plane is going. I guess this won't be a problem once I start doing 3D right in front of me.

FlooredCOBRA 07-01-2007 09:39 AM

Well I just found out something that I over looked last nite. When I first got the plane I had a APC thin blade 12x6 on it. I set it up for that plane balanced it and all. Well after a few flights I chipped the prop (because of that landing gear which i forgot to meniton my bad) and had to throw it away. So then I put on the 11x3.8 APC and bee flying with that. That is when I started to notice bad coupling to one side. The plane acted a different and I felt my CG was off so I kept adjusting my battery around.

At the same time a buddy of mine has just got into RC flying and has been getting the hang of it. He started having CG issues with his from what he was describing. Anyways he went out and grabbed one of those CG machines to measure up his CG. He got to talking about how nice it was so I went out and got me one also. I been flying for 18 years now and never used one of them things. I always thought it was kind of gimmicky and did it my own way, plus my planes where to big for it. Well I got one yesterday to try out plus I knew this electric plane would not be over weight on it.

So I got home with two new props and my cg machine. I got the CG machine together and tried it out and with my 11x3.8 I already had on plane. I was tail heavy by about a half inch. When I put my 12x6 back on the CG was dead on. The whole time I was flying I knew it felt off a little but couldnt figure out what it was. I had no idea there was that much of a difference in the weight on the two props. The 11x3.8 was much lighter than the 12x6 was. After I seen that I felt like an idiot once again for not even catching that. So when I change props next time I need to set my CG. I figure I will put a mark so I will know where to put battery for each prop. Right now I am leaning towards the 12x6 props as it feels pretty nice flying with it.

Oh yeah no more bad coupling to that one side when I was flying with the 12x6 since my CG was on mark.

tcclong 07-02-2007 05:37 PM

Now that I have everything set up, it flies great. The rolls aren't as snappy as I would have thought with those big ailerons. The elevator is really snappy though. It hovers pretty well. Mine came in at 17.5 oz with everything. I'm using a Hacker A20-20L with a 11x3.8 prop. That has plenty of power.

Always flying 07-06-2007 10:13 PM

Hello,

I just picked one of these beauties up this past weekend as well! i have an e-flite 480 kickin' around it's 15g heavier that the 450 do you think that it'll make it nose heavy? looking forward to flying this little ship!

tcclong,

Is the hacker what you recommend for this plane?..does it have more than enough power?

cheers!

mannyh

tcclong 07-07-2007 02:14 PM

Mannyh,

Yeah, it will be a little nose heavy with the 480 motor, but it should work fine. You will just have to move the battery aft a little, but that's not a big deal. I've been using the hacker A20-22L (I made a mistake earlier) on this plane, and it works great. It has a little less rpm/v than the 480, but is a whole ounce lighter. I was just doing some hovering this morning with the hacker motor and it worked great. I can hover at about 50% stick. I have plenty of power to get out of there fast if I need to, so I think the hacker motor is just right. But I would just use your 480 if you already have it.

One other thing I noticed about this plane - it's kind of hard to see which way it's going from a distance. You can see right through the wing. I put some black stripes on the bottom of the wing to help me see it better. It's a great plane, flies beatifully. I'm having a blast with it. Just make sure you land REALLY soft (bad landing gear).

Always flying 07-07-2007 08:56 PM

tcclong,

Thanks for the reply!!..i ended up selling the 480 today..ithink keeping this ship as light as i can will make it all the better! i'm going to order the hacker like yours! i would go with the recomened e-flite 400-450 but my hobby shop is sold out right now! can't wait till it's ready to go!!

cheers!

mannyh

tcclong 07-07-2007 11:44 PM

Mannyh,

Be sure and let us know how your maiden flight goes. The Hacker is 1/2 ounce lighter than the 450, and has more KV. I think it will work nicely for you.

pachemin 09-11-2007 03:46 PM

HI..
I just done my edge 540 bp with AXI 2212/26 and is little nose heavy maybe this engine , I think is too big for this plane

tcclong 09-12-2007 12:25 AM

The AXI 2212/26 is 57g, which is the same as my hacker A20-22L. Mine isn't nose heavy. It's very sensitive to where you mount the battery, since the battery is heavier than the motor. I had to move my battery fore and aft a little to get the C.G. just right. It should work fine with your motor.