RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Electric Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-electric-flying-237/)
-   -   Airfoilz RCU Extra 260 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-electric-flying-237/6911721-airfoilz-rcu-extra-260-a.html)

bighead93 01-15-2008 01:57 PM

Airfoilz RCU Extra 260

1 Attachment(s)
Hi there everybody! Airfoilz is at it again...check out what they came up with this time!! I will be doing a detailed build thread on this Extra 260 so if you have any comments or questions feel free to ask! By the way...if you would like to order your own RCU Extra here's what you need to do!
http://www.3dxhobbies.com/RCUniverse...t_p/rcu260.htm

bighead93 01-15-2008 02:03 PM

RE: Airfoilz RCU Extra 260

1 Attachment(s)
This is how the kit starts:
1) Remove all foam and ply.
2) Make sure that all pieces of the kit are there and keep it organized.
3) Carefully remove the ply crutch

bighead93 01-15-2008 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Next we will be removing all of the foam pieces that will make up the skin of our Extra.

bighead93 01-15-2008 02:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok...now we are going to CA the Ply Crutch! Work from the front of the Fuse back. Make sure you are getting enough CA in all of the cracks...focus on getting the CA in where the seperate pieces of Ply come together. Next...after you have CA'd all of the foam fuse doublers in place (Careful that you make a left and right side) test fit the foam skin to the ply crutch. Sand if needed...both sides need to fit the same! At this point remove the tabs on the top of the foam doublers. Now the tricky part!! Start with one side and begin gluing the skin to the crutch...start from the front and work back. Careful that everything is correct before gluing! After you have completed both sides...we will be moving on to the top of the fuse.

bighead93 01-15-2008 02:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now we are going to work on completing the upper skin of the fuse. Use painters tape for the best results. Carefully squeeze the fuse together and using Med CA glue the skin to the fuse. Again...make sure that everything is lined up prior to gluing! Contiune from the tail forward...being careful that everything is straight. When you get to the nose area...use a ball point pen and makes some lines in the foam where it will be bent. Carefully place over the nose and CA. Now is the best time to apply the Fuse Graphics...like so!

bighead93 01-15-2008 02:30 PM

Next the wings and tail!! More pictures on the way!

Furyflyer2 01-15-2008 04:19 PM

Looking good.

captinjohn 01-15-2008 10:35 PM

I got to agree...nice strong but lite weight model. Nice. Capt,n Hesperia Mi

Furyflyer2 01-16-2008 12:55 AM

Wattflyer scheme coming next week!

see the video-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRrKYpp8JKE

Flyboy1958 01-16-2008 08:06 AM

I wonder when the full fuselage Yak54 is comming out. Hint Hint, that's the one I'm waiting for.

Furyflyer2 01-16-2008 03:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes it is!

Furyflyer2 01-17-2008 08:38 AM

The Full fuse proto is all done, so after some flight testing we will be relaesing it. Pics to come.

Flyboy1958 01-17-2008 10:54 AM

Excellent!

bighead93 01-17-2008 12:19 PM

More pictures coming tonight!! Time to build the wings!

By the way...you can enter to win your very own Extra 260 here: http://www.airfoilz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406

bighead93 01-18-2008 12:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
On to the wing! Ok...first build the I Beam! Very easy...get the 2 thin pieces...and place the thick piece in the middle of the two thin pieces and CA.
1) Test fit the I-beam into the wing...both haves. Mark the extra length and cut to fit!
2) Mark the wings at 2 1/2" on the wing tip and 3 1/8" on the wing root. This will mark the spot for the i-beam once it is installed
3) Carefully slide the i-beam spar into one half of the wing. Apply epoxy or GG to both sides of the i-beam. (Tip) the extra length of the i-beam...insert into the opposite end of the wing...carefully rotate the i-beam and slide it all the way to the end of the wing. You will do this with the other side as well
4) Once the i-beam has cured...carefully cut out a hole in the middle of the top of the wing. This is where the servos leads will enter the fuse. Apply epoxy to the seam between each wing.
5) Test fit the wing into the fuse...it should be snug but not tight...sand it down if it is too tight!
6) Dont glue just yet...time to add the wing tips! Apply med CA to the wing and spray the foam tips with accelerator...apply to the wing. Cut to fit and sand smooth.
7) Now it is time to epoxy the wings to the fuse...mix epoxy with microballons and apply the wing fillets...apply painters tape to make a clean seam. Remove the tape before the epoxy cures...or you won't be getting the tape off[:@]
8) Opps...I forgot to show the i-beam turned upright...see pic #4...that is what the i-beam will look like before twisting it into position.

bighead93 01-20-2008 10:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now on to the tail assembly!
1) Test fit the balsa support on the vertical stab...cut to fit.
2) After cutting to fit...CA the balsa to the stab.
3) Next take the elevator and gently using the carbon fiber tube...make a small groove so the carbon fiber tube will set flush in the elevator. Apply epoxy and microballons once the carbon tube is in place.
4) Once the epoxy has fully cured...carefully cut out the foam between the left and right side. Tip...bevel the leading edge before removing the middle piece.
5) Now it time to attach the balsa to the horizontal stab...cut to fit and attach to the foam using CA
6) Now we will use painters tape to hinge the elevator to the horizontal stab.
7) Carefully cut the tape and seperate the two surfaces.

bighead93 01-21-2008 04:17 PM

If you are building your own Extra and have any questions...please post them!

Flyboy1958 01-21-2008 07:18 PM

Good job, keep it going. I am gathering information.

bighead93 01-21-2008 08:36 PM

You got it!

bighead93 01-22-2008 12:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK...now we are going to hinge the tail!
1) After cutting the painters tape...carefully cut the slits that will hold the hinges into the direct center of the elevator and stab.
2) Test fit the hinges and adjust if needed.
3) Once you are sure that everything is square...apply epoxy to the hinges and slide it into the stab. Do not epoxy the elevator YET!!
4) Once the epoxy has cured...slide it into the stab opening...if it is to tight...sand to fit. It should be snug...just not super tight!
5) Now remove the stab and slide in the elevator...move it all the way back so we can now fit the stab back in.
6) Now is the time to test fit the hinges into the elevator...make sure you have full movement and then epoxy the hinges into the stab.
7) Carefully measure the distance from the stab to the wings...make sure that the stab is straight and square...then apply med CA to the stab to the fuse.
8) Next we will attach the rudder to the vertical stab. Same process...attach with painters tape.
9) Cut the tape and cut the slits into the stab and rudder...carefully in the middle of the foam and ply.

aviatordave 01-24-2008 01:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Furyflyer2

Wattflyer scheme coming next week!

see the video-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRrKYpp8JKE

Are you still working on the Wattflyer scheme?

thanks -

Furyflyer2 01-25-2008 08:30 AM

Wattflyer scheme is done, once we get a pic of the plane that plane will be available, so I think next week will be ready to go,

bighead93 01-28-2008 09:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1) Next we are going to hinge the ailerons the same way we did the elevator and rudder.
2) Next we are going to build the hinge pieces...dry fit everything first...do not glue yet!
3) Next we will cut the slots in the wings for each of the ailerons...mark at 4" from the fuse and 3" for the end of each wing.
4) Cut out the area that will fit your servo...you want this to be snug...don't cut the area to large or it will be difficult to mount the servo.
5) Apply the ply doublers to the foam using med CA. The servos will be screwed into the ply.
6) You will do the same thing to the elevator.
7) The rudder control is a bit tricky...glue in Only one side!! The other side will be glued in once the control horn is mounted in the rudder!!
8) Setting up the pull-pull rudder isn't hard but will take a little time to get correct. First you will need to get the thread and attach it to the servo control. Slip the thread through one end of the brass tube...through the servo control horn and back through the brass tube. Crimp the tube using plyers and then apply CA to each end of the crimped brass tube. This will keep the thread from becoming loose. Next move the thread through the body of the plane and exit to the tail. I found it easier to attach the i-hook to the rudder horn to insure that there would be no slack in my rudder. Same as the front...slip the thread throught the brass tube...through the i-hook and then back through the brass tube. Crimp and CA and you are good to go...remember that you want in to be only snug...not tight not loose.

msprygada 01-28-2008 10:34 PM

ORIGINAL: bighead93

1) Next we are going to hinge the ailerons the same way we did the elevator and rudder.
2) Next we are going to build the hinge pieces...dry fit everything first...do not glue yet!
Big, where did you get the tail wheel? Who's tail wheel is that? Looks nice.

Also, when you did the side fuse decals, how did you trim around the fillet of the wing (I do all my Airfloilz wings using the fillet method)? Did you cut out most of the white of the decal or cut for enough room for the fillet. It looks like you attached the wing before the decals?

Thanks in advance.

bighead93 01-28-2008 10:39 PM

Used the https://www.3dxhobbies.com/ProductDe...ductCode=du854

I do the fillets before adding the decals! If you make the fillets tight enough...you will not need to cut the decals;)