RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Electric Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-electric-flying-237/)
-   -   e-flite pitts model 12 any good? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-electric-flying-237/6965389-e-flite-pitts-model-12-any-good.html)

stiltman 01-24-2008 10:46 PM

e-flite pitts model 12 any good?

Does anyone know if the e-flite pitts Model 12 is any good? Does it fly well? Any bad Tendencies? Is it a good 3d flyer? It's gorgeous and I'm thinking about getting one.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2550

patander 01-25-2008 09:40 PM

RE: e-flite pitts model 12 any good?

I am looking for the same information. I would like to know if anyone has built and how it flies. Power 15 or 25???

Don M. 01-26-2008 09:29 AM

Have they ever been available ? Horizon's site says LATE April so that means maybe May.

jrwilliams27 01-26-2008 09:59 AM

I do not have the Eflite Pitts, but here is a thread on someone who does compared to [link=http://www.zerogmodel.com]ZeroGravity's[/link] new Pitts Python. [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710402&page=66]LINK[/link] From what I have read on both the ZG Python wins hands down! My ZG Python will be here Monday and I can't wait! :D The quality appears to be much better with the same power system and it looks like the plane will out-perform the Eflite Pitts any time. Give it a look and see what find. The price difference is well worth it! As the saying goes, "You get what you pay for!"

jrwilliams27 02-01-2008 11:05 PM

I just flew my ZG Pitts Python yesterday and it is incredible! I have had some great flying planes, but I have never seen this kind of quality on any ARF. Go for the ZG Python and it will be an incredible build and even more incredible in the air.

stiltman 02-01-2008 11:26 PM

That Zero Gravity Pits is certainly impressive. It seems to be super similar to the E-Flite Pits. It seems to have similar dimensions and wing area. I like the looks of the Eflite a little better though. Also the prices I've seen put the EFlite one at about $60 cheaper. And yes the EFlite ones are out now. I saw one in my LHS, But I haven't heard if they're any good yet.

jrwilliams27 02-02-2008 09:49 PM

On the ZG Python thread a fellow has both the ZG Pitts and the EF Pitts, and they just don't compare in his case. In fact, the wings just folded up on him doing a wall today he said. I'm not against EF, as I had some of their planes before, but I see the quality and durability built into my ZG Pitts that is not in the EF version. I agree on the looks, the EF does look good, but when it comes to my plane staying together during high stress maneuvers, I would rather error on the side of quality and durability.

patander 02-03-2008 11:26 PM

Just received my E-Flite Pitts. I really like the E-Flite quality and this one just raised the bar I think. Looks very nice! I will post some pics as I build. Going with the high power setup - using a Castle Creations 60 amp and E-Flite Power 25. Not sure about the battery yet I want to see how the weight is looking - probably TP 4200 3s2p. The JR MC35 servos dont seem to even be available yet - but they look like the ones to get based on their specs.

Patrick

predman 02-04-2008 05:03 AM

Yes the pitts is an awesome flyer!!! I went w a cheap $32 equivilant to the Eflite power 15 motor, eflite 60amp esc,4cell set-up. This plane is awesome if you can get your hands on one DO IT!!!

patander 02-04-2008 11:20 AM

Hey predman thanks for the reply - what motor did you use? How is the power? I like the idea of staying light...

predman 02-04-2008 11:48 AM

I have this motor on mine http://www.rchotdeals.com/Products/r...r/A2820-6.html the power is there! I dont do that much extreme 3d but it has the power to do so.

Obee 02-10-2008 12:22 AM

I got the Pitts in Dec. and assembled it with the 25 and 3 cell option initially and found it to be so nose heavy I would have to have an unacceptable amount of weight on the tail to balance it. I then switched to the so-called 3-D set up and installed the Power 15 and 4 cell set up. I found that to get within the recommended CG range I had to add 2 oz. of lead to the tail. The way the battery tray and hatch are arranged there's no way to move the battery / Components to adjust for CG.
Another issue I had with the kit was the canopy: It was untrimmed, cracked and warped. After fooling around with it I painted the interior of the canopy silver to match the trim and installed it.
The snap ring connectors intended for the connecting rods between the upper and lower Ailerons were tossed and replaced with a threaded version of the same type. The quality of finish on the wheel pants and cowl are ok the wheel pants were a bit lumpy. An interesting omission from the manual was the absence of any vent hole in the fuse for cooling air. The instructions specify removing material from the dummy engine to allow air in but there is no mention of an exit strategy.
I removed covering from the lower part of the fuse proximal to the tail

Flight report:

E Flite didn't see fit to include any recommendations on Expo settings so I used ones similar to other applications in my radio.

It flies well and doesn't have any bad habits. I was pleased to find that was quite easy to land. Iv'e seen plenty of my glow club mates loose Bipes on landing with ballooning and bounces.
As far as 3-D performance goes I wouldn't really be honest if I said it was a capable 3-D machine.
It's more of a spirited sport flyer. With the 3-D set up recommended by E-flight It can't hang in a hover, the prop cavitates and it drops out. Not a lot of prop out side the shadow of the cowl and this effects the control surface reaction and interface with what little prop blast makes it to them. I can fly some pretty decent hovers, harriers and such with other planes but this one doesn't have the power. I would like to experiment with different props, power and CG. I don’t have any real bad things to say about the Pitts. I will say that it has some typical ARF issues with materials, instructions, hardware and claimed performance.

If you want a cool looking little bipe to sport fly this is your plane. If you want a cool little 3-D plane get a 3-Dhobbyshop.com Extra 300 SHP 47"

OBEE

SackOHammers 02-15-2008 03:05 PM

What about he Goldberg Pitts as compared to this e-flight and zero g pitts? How do they stack up. The Goldberg looks very attractive, but after reading this thread I wondered how it stacked up.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676743

I'm looking for a fun biplane in the 38"-40" range. Electric. I just started looking so I'm only really aware of the e-flight, the zero g, and the goldberg. Are there some better alternatives I'm overlooking?

Thanks

jrwilliams27 02-15-2008 07:42 PM

If you want a great bipe, the Zerogravity is it! I just finished my 5th flight and I love it! It is very stable, super responsive, and easy to fly. It handles great! In my opinion, the ZG is the only way to go. Eflite seems to be having more and more problems, but I haven't heard much about Goldberg's either. I have heard that 3DHS is going to coming up with a bipe soon. ZG Python is the best plane I have ever flown, and I have had GP, Eflite, Extreme Flight, and Hyperion. The Python beats them all hands down. My $.02 worth.

Don M. 02-15-2008 11:37 PM

And what's a good motor / battery combo for the ZG ?

jrwilliams27 02-16-2008 10:18 AM

I have been using a Hacker A30-10XL, 40 amp ESC, and 3300 mAh 3s 20c lipo. Vertical is unlimited and it does not lack power at all. I can get nearly 10 minutes of solid IMAC/3D flying in on 1 battery.

Don M. 02-16-2008 01:45 PM

That's the motor I was considering also. I only have 3S2100 but I'll put 2 in parallel for 4200. A bit heavier but not much.

jrwilliams27 02-16-2008 10:06 PM

I believe the (2) 2100 packs will work, just be careful of the C rating. You may want to check your watts and amps on a meter before you try it. The Hacker definitely has enough power to pull it vertical with (2) packs. You may experience a slight loss of performance because of the weight, but it still should be good.

Dennis Carlsen 02-23-2008 02:53 PM

I have flowen both the E flight pitts and the Zerogravity Python. My impressions were that the Zerogravity was well worth the difference in money. bothin quality and flight performance.

Horizon has down graded the Pitts from an extreme 3D machine to a spireted aerobatic performer

I fly mostly biplanes and had the E flight ben available a year ago it would have ben an exceptional aeroplane but?

The quality of parts, fiberglass and hardware is far superior in the Python, The Python seemed to be a much better 3D airplane, better harrior, hover and knife edge.

Both will come out at nearly the same weight, lighter is better but one of the flyer's on rc groups is useing 5s a123 at an all up weight of 60 oz and he is very happy with the Python

Both look to be far better than the Goldberg pitts and the small Ultimate, they seem to have knife edge and other coupling problems.

Dennis

bbagle1 02-27-2008 01:39 PM

sorry about getting off topic but does anyone have any experience with the GP reactor bipe?

Dennis Carlsen 02-28-2008 01:32 PM

Not sure it has ben released yet

Dennis

patander 02-28-2008 04:47 PM

You have to love the Zero Gravity team.. I wonder if they actually pay people to post bad content on the E-flite Pitts? It's a thankless cause being an E-Flite Pitts owner from what I read in this forum and RC Groups. I wonder if they have even seen one??

Who knows maybe I will join the bashers too after I get a chance to fly my poor old crappy E-flite Pitts.

Any way for now - I would like to fly it and almost ready! And I think that's what this thread is for??

So, after reading all the issues about setup specs being off with the recomended power setups I have settled on the following:

Scorpion 3020-12 (looks like its right between a power 15 and 25 with higher RPM)
Phoenix 60 ESC
Battery 3S 2500-3700 (waiting to see final weight and CG guesses)

I would love to hear what other's are using for power setups and how they like it!

Anyway it sure is pretty. I honestly think it's prettier than that ZG model! DOH - I did NOT just say that out loud - did I? ;)

I will update with flight reports and pics/video soon.

wrpsr1911 04-25-2008 08:51 PM

PATANDER, Have you flown your Pitts yet ? I am getting ready to buy one and would like your opinion.-Many Thanks, WOODIE

patander 04-30-2008 11:50 AM

Yes, I fly it all the time. I am using 2 2100 packs and the CG is better as well as my flight time and power. It does fly like more of a sport plane vs a lightweight 3d setup. But it sure flies great! Very areobatic and impressive. Fly it all the way in with a little power - that is about the only tip I would give.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

wrpsr1911 04-30-2008 05:43 PM

Thanks for the info !! I am still wondering what power system and Servos to go with I am partial to Hitec servos. Do you know what would be acceptable in the hitec line?? What servos did you use?/ Did you try either E-flie motor ?Thanks Again, If you can't tell, this will be my FIRST Electric !I don't have anyone close to bounce opinions off of !WOODIE in Myrtle Beach, S.C.