Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

what 3d plane for beginner

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

what 3d plane for beginner

Old 10-14-2010, 01:24 PM
dj don

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what 3d plane for beginner

Hi, im looking for a 3d plane that will fly in moderate wind and is quite easy to fly. im quite new at flying planes but can just about fly helicopters. it would be great if any of you could suggest a plane for me, thanks.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:04 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: what 3d plane for beginner

Look at a profile. Ohio Model Products has some good ones, Aero Works has a couple new ones, the Mojo line is good also but only comes in kit form.

David
Old 10-14-2010, 07:23 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Parkzone Typhoon 2, if you can find one.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:54 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dj don,

Mojo 40 for glow and Eflite Eratix 3D or Precision Aerobatics Addition for electric.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:07 AM
outdoorhunting

Save your money & time !! The statement," I'm quite new at flying planes", tells me you are NOT in anyway ready for 3D !!!! If you don't know how to fly a fixed wing aircraft & fly it well. YOU WILL CRASH & destroy a 3D plane within seconds of takeoff!!!!!!!!!!! How many times do we see newbies think, "that looks easy, I'll start flying that," (warbird,EDF jet, etc). I'm not even considering the "safety factor" ( uh, let's see, flying a plane that is out of control with a razor blade spinning at 9 to 10,000 RPM (the prop). So, do yourself a favor ( and everybody else around you).. Get in touch with a local club & learn how to fly properly BEFORE you "take on a 3D." I'm NOT trying to be a "smarta_ _", but I think just about everybody in RCU will tell you the same thing !! Good Luck !!
Old 10-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Angel_W

Good advise, Dj, I would take it.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:42 PM
Eganwp
My Feedback: (1)

Buy a Multiplex Acromaster over the Typhoon 2. I've owned both and there is no comparison between the two. The Acromaster is better in every way.

If you're wanting to learn 3D, I can't suggest more highly going with a DURABLE 3d profile foamie. I built the arguably best flying indoor/outdoor 3D EPP foamie available today IMO, designed by LeadFeather on RCG. It's the 3D EPP Yak 55. There's huge threads on it there, as well as build instructions and info. I don't want to link to RCG though, so use google. Order the prebuilt plane from Greg at wmparkfliers.com or 3deep.com (just bought-out by 3dhobbyshop). The plane RTF will cost you less than $100 with all the gear. Flies amazing both indoor and out, and is so durable that you can smash it into the ground and have little to nothing broken. Plane will last for a LONG time. Perfect for learning 3D. I love mine; fly it indoor and out.

Here's a couple of videos of mine when I was new to flying it last year.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5tDvScwtM4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5tDvScwtM4[/link]
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppWyySbnpl8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppWyySbnpl8[/link]

Egan
Old 10-15-2010, 03:18 PM
frenchie79

Sorry-have to disagree with you in part. 3-D planes have very lite wing loading, fly very slow and stable and in some cases are much easier to fly than some trainers. They don't have the dihedral for self correction but if he has some experiance and success at landing Trainers and Low wing craft, try it but use your head. Set on low rates, they are as gental to fly as a Kadet LT40.
If you have no high wing experiance-forget any low wing plane for now. I agree on War birds with high wing loading, you'll need lots of flights before attempting that.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:39 PM
kerwin50

DJ I recommend the twist by hangar 9, she's not real good a 3d but she flys great an for a newbie she is an excellent aerobatic plane.
Inside, outside loops,splits, hammerheads, hoovering harriers and of course the nicest flatspin.
It has a real big following that had a thread herem but moved it to rcgroups called the twistacholics.
Once you fly a twist all other planes are WELL just planes.
They are so easy to fly that even a beginner looks good.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:46 AM
rrbassin

If you wanna learn 3d quickly get a Foamy plane there are many out there that fly equally well and are safe to operate ...Here's a video of me flying with one year experience:http://www.youtube.com/user/rrbassin
Old 03-12-2011, 11:45 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Yes, it's true that 3D planes have light wing-loading, and can fly very slowly. They are indeed easier to fly than a trainer, for someone who has already learned the basics of controlling the model. Those good traits, however, are overshadowed by the 3D's maneuverability. While stall characteristics are almost non-existent, to the point where it is nearly impossible to tip-stall, there is still the tendency of a beginner to over-control the plane. And, the maneuverability of something that's 3D capable is a bit extreme, for the most part, with NO self-correcting capability.

If a 3D plane is to be used as a trainer, I would recommend the following: First, get a buddy box and a competent instructor. Center of Gravity should be forward, have 3/4 full throws dialed in, and also use 45% expo on a computerized radio. This will still allow necessary maneuvers for most aerobatics and to cover the basic necessities (landing, takeoff, level flight, etc), while reducing the sensitivity just enough to make it flyable by someone who is inexperienced, AS LONG AS they are with an instructor.

And finally: I am adamant about about the instructor. Don't go it alone on a Twist if you haven't flown before.

NS
Old 03-13-2011, 05:23 AM
outdoorhunting

I TOTALLY agree with NorthFolk!!! DON'T try a Twist without an instructor !! Unless you're an experienced pilot. I took my first Twist (yeah, my first one) up without any help. I'm an experienced sport flyer, but I didn't know how to set up my radio properly. It was up about 20 seconds before I overcorrected & crashed. Once you get used to it, it will no doubt be one of your favorites !!! It can do almost anything you ask of it . Low wind, high wind,makes no difference.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:28 AM
dgholmes59

Since I am pretty new at flying and new at 3d, I will chime in on this one. The Twist 60 is awesome. I just started flying in September using a simulator and instructor. I am also on the simulator as much as possible trying the 3d stuff. I started flying in order the GP Pt-60, P-51 pts, H9 Pizazz and then the Twist 60 and now also a Kyosho super stearman. I put a ST-90 on it which gives it awesome power and absolutely love it. To be honest, it has made me a better pilot on all of my other planes. it it

I did start with the wing CG at forward of the book at about 5.25" (which I learned from reading the twist 60 forum) and now moved it back to the book setting of about 6.5". It hovers a lot easier now and does not wing rock as much. I have been flying it for a few months now and can hover it, which the twist does pretty easily. It is by far my favorite plane. Landing it is a breeze too especially with a little headwind. You can just slowly drop it down vertically to the ground from a harrier.

The key is to start with the CG forward of the book to begin with and fly it on low rates, probably true for all of the 3d planes. It then flies like a sport plane. Dial in at least 70% exponential on high rates and 35% on low rates. When you get comfortable, switch to high rates. After a while you will be flying on just high rates. I fly mine on high rates all the time now and never use low rates. When you get used to flying with the high rates and can harrier a little and even hover a second or two, start moving the CG back toward the book value. The plane will perform these tasks much easier when you do.

I think the profiles are good, but the wind will weather vane it bad. Taxing them on the ground is very difficult with 10 mph wind, but they fly great.

Since I am so new at this, I really cannot recommend anything else. Just wanted to give you one newbies experience into this great 3D flying experience. Based on my experience, if you can fly pretty well and spend a lot of time on the simulator practicing harriers, hovering, etc. and you get a 3D type plane, you will definitely progress in flying much faster. I will qualify that statement by saying with MUCH simulator time (crashing is much cheaper).
Old 03-22-2011, 03:18 AM
ohnoucdat
My Feedback: (16)

I think rrbassin has a winner, FOAMY, cheap, easily repaired. Go with EPP foam first, they bounce