Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Paypal keeping me from getting my 3D on...

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Paypal keeping me from getting my 3D on...

Old 01-24-2011, 07:43 AM
paulsen
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paypal keeping me from getting my 3D on...

I'm just letting everyone know Paypal won't let me make a purchase with my credit card (my only funds on paypal) because they have an automated program that won't let me use my card to prevent fraud, the only way I can make a purchase is by entering my bank account (something that will never happen).

I'm paypals client and I'm treated like a criminal, even worse when I bid on a product I look like an ass when I can't pay because paypal (my so called funding source) doesn't let me use my own money.

Paypal is so big and widespread that they can tell me I cant use my own credit card unless i give them my bank info to pay. I just want to spread the word about paypal in an attempt to discredit them enough to where they may have to actually cater to there clients instead of cut them off till they buckle and give them all of there financial info.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:02 AM
ThumbSkull
My Feedback: (57)

Default RE: Paypal keeping me from getting my 3D on...

Really? You shouldn't bash what you don't understand.

PayPal is a bank like any other. Your CC or bank account is their backup to be sure they will get paid.
You have two options. Send them money before using it or let them pull funds from your existing bank account.
PayPal is not a scam. I've been using them for almost 10 years. I have over 500 transactions as a seller and as a buyer.
They have never made a mistake or charged my bank account for something they shouldn't have.

PayPal is not making you look like an ass. You are doing that all by yourself.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:14 AM
jzrf6c

I also have been using Paypal for many years and never had any problem that could not be resolved. I've used my credit card and even change to a new one with no problems. Have you ever called them?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:47 AM
skillet92

Have used paypal for 5+ years and never a problem! The reason that they want a back up source for funding is two fold. One so they get paid and 2 which I find even more important is to have another source to VERIFY who you are! I use Paypal for all Hobby transactions and have more than two funding sources so that I can have options. Never had a single problem with payments and stolen info!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:51 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

It doesn't sound like you've used paypal before. Its not that bad at all. I've had very good experiences, and its very easy.. and yes its linked with one of my bank accounts.. thats the whole idea.. whats the diff of them having your credit-card info(which is essentially a bank account they charge extremely high interest rates for when you borrow from them...), or them having a personal bank account info(of which theres zero interest, and the money coming out is NOT BORROWED)?? I only have one account linked also.... and its not a credit-card account... credit-cards are worthless to them(worthless period actually), they're just a vehicle to move money is all... but by having that one account linked I could for all intents and purposes use any type of card I want.. so.. it then becomes very convenient.. which in my experience it is.

Are things that tough man..? As its really not hard at all to obtain and hold these types of accounts in good standing if your affairs are in good standing.... millions do it every day.. hang in there.. I hope it works out. I really don't think you're going to take down PayPal though... but sometimes it does get frustrating when we don't understand things.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:44 AM
paulsen

Thanks Thumbskull your name speaks for it's self theres no need for you to post any further posts.

Basically I don't have a bank account, I made a purchase assuming I would be able to pay via paypal. Now because of paypal's security system I have waisted both the sellers time and mine.

I googled there toll free # talked to the rep and basically I can't use my card bottom line. I do understand how this protects the seller, I'm just pissed there was nothing I could do except pay more in fee's by buying a "green card" ($5) to add money to my paypal account.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:48 AM
paulsen

For those who think i'm stupid i'm not, i'm just a guy who is trying to get something done about paypal's policy's because they don't work for me.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:16 AM
DGrant

There's other ways to buy online too. When there's no bank account though it makes it difficult, as that's what electronically links it all together though in the case of PayPal, or EChecks, I don't even know how many there are...alot I'm sure. With PayPal being the most popular though in this particular community it does make it hard. You can use a money-order and snail mail, which I would imagine you've done.

Since you already have a charge-card and that type of account(yes...thats an account of the worst kind, but still an account), why don't you simply open an approved bank account strictly for PayPal? Its very easy, much easier then what your trying to do, and bottom line is they get info for any transaction(whether we like it or not)... so it doesn't even matter what form of payment you use... I mean...if you purchase with a CC through PP they have your CC info right... so what protects you there? ahh... and if you purchase through your bank account(dedictated account most likely).. that has a Visa/Debit linked to that specific account(read CC)... its same same same... its all the same.

Only one is a bank account with a checking/savings, the other bank account is a credit-card(revolving credit) with a bank you will OWE money too when said and done.. either way you pay..I think PayPal really makes it harder to get further into debt... which is an excellent feature for those that already have money problems..they don't need any more money probs....... I mean..

Nobodys trying to diss you.. frankly I'd like to help... you've got to stand for a bit of reason here too though... I'm just trying to explain it doesn't matter what account you use... they get that info.... PayPal is an EXTREMELY handy institution, with many beneifits... and its really not that difficult to take advantage of.

I get the feeling there's more to the story... if you want to share a litte more, maybe someone can help, but that's up to you... Its time better spent I think trying to figure out what the real prob is, as trying to go after an institution such as PayPal is a futile effort.. and a battle that won't be won. If you're having a problem getting or having a regular bank account for whatever reason, theres more to the story. Its not against the law to NOT have an account, main problems with not having one are brought on by the individual. I know all too well... I had alot of "poo-poo" many years ago, and have been straight and narrow about money now for over 20yrs, but it was alot of hard work to get there and not owe anybody a nickel, and have my own little nest-egg... The unfortunate thing here too is... this is an addictive hobby, and we can get obsessed easily..I know I can..but its ok when someone puts on the brakes too.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree with paulsen about not giving PayPal your account number. I have had my identity stolen within the last year and I'm not about to give anyone else my account number except my one and only bank in my town. PayPal is just out for the profit like all other banks. They are nothing but a money mover as well.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:57 AM
paulsen

Thank's for helping me make my point Zippi.

I know that my little post most likely will have no impact on paypal at all, I also know how petty it may seem to most, but when there was nothing I could do but watch the seller re list his item on an awesome deal on a Saturday afternoon (no chance of opening a bank account then till Monday) except pay more in fee's to add money to my paypal account even after talking to a sell's rep I was pissed.

I would say ultimately that paypal should A. Advertise there support number on there site. B. Work with people who have fund's available on there cards.

I just see paypal being so big that they don't HAVE to work with an individual in my case, and they are so widely used that it makes me unable to do business.

To DGrant thanks for the constructive input and yes I do have my reasons for not using a bank. Mainly being poor as I am I don't want anyone taking or seizing my account when it comes time to pay my bills or buying food. Very true about this hobby being addictive I don't drink or do drugs anymore but I just can't seem to put down the 3D lol.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:26 AM
DGrant

Zippi... very unfortunate to have your ID stolen.. man, that's got to suck. With so many ways its happening though, anymore a bank-account is usually a last resource these thieves are getting into... most people have little money in them.. What the modern day criminals go for is the resources... meaning peoples credit lines...getting big bucks that nobody really has.. Its very hard when everywhere you go they ask you for way more info then a bank-account. If you go to the doctor, there's some extreme info that could be used, if you happen in the hospital...same thing, if you go to rent an apartment.... or buy a car(if you finance).. or apply for a job, or sign up for health ins..., or , or... If your a home-owner the mortgage lender has it all right there.. the list is endless.. and about the best we can do is protect ourselves in any way we can, as you are I'm sure.

There are many easier ways people(criminals) can obtain info then with a simple link to a bank account... I'm preaching to the choir though here, as I'm sure once you've been through it, you've learned an unfortunate lesson. As you mentioned the only one to see your ID is your banking institute.. PP doesn't ask for any ID at all.. its not whom you show your ID too... its all the other info thats already out there... I hope it wasn't too hard on you though, as nobody should have to go through it.

paul... I hope it works out.. I started with about $100 in PP.. sold some stuff.. then had alot more... bought some stuff.. had less.. but its such a cool little thing to stash hobby money...haha..If it gets low I just sell something and build it back up a bit, if there's something I really want..it will just go into my other account..its that easy.. they can actually give you more protection on your purchases too then just paying cash...as you can dispute certain things, you can easily refund if a deal doesn't go right.. I'm just saying here... and I'm really not trying to sell you on it... but there are reasons they're the way they are...... and yes Zippi.. thats what they do is move money... there may be better ways to move it..but not many... and no doubt there are much worse ways.. ways that really leave you out in the open. Its all good guys... we're all learning.. have a great day.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:49 AM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

I opened a separate bank account, and gave that info to paypal. When I need to make a paypal payment, I transfer funds to that account from my other account. Otherwise, there is seldom any money in that account. Works for me.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:03 PM
TruBlu02

I love Paypal! I have been using it for almost ten years and now I rarely make a online purchase unless I can use paypal. They protect your info better than anyone and offer protection for both the seller and buyer. I like how easy it is to use it is very convienient for making purchases especially on ebay. I understand why the require the info they do and unfortunately you have to follow these rules to use their services. A small price to pay at least for me.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:08 PM
paulsen

I've used paypal years ago before it was virtually everyones preferred payment method. I used a credit card no sweat, It just seems they call the shots now and can afford to turn down a guy like me and force me to give bank info. Wasn't this way when they were getting started. I guess this is my attempt to knock them down to size where they appreciate there clients.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:58 PM
outdoorhunting

I too, had my identity stolen a couple of yrs ago. I did my own investigation & had the guys driver's lic. # ( with his picture) his phone # & address. I went to the cops & was told "what do you want us to do about it? I will NOT give ANY account #s over the phone or internet. I have one cc I use to buy stuff online. I pay cash for whatever I buy, period.. If the seller won't take the cc, I ain't buying from him. I applied to PP & had everything filled out until it asked for my bank account # I then hit DELETE!!!!!
Old 01-24-2011, 05:19 PM
DGrant

ORIGINAL: outdoorhunting

I too, had my identity stolen a couple of yrs ago. I did my own investigation & had the guys driver's lic. # ( with his picture) his phone # & address. I went to the cops & was told ''what do you want us to do about it? I will NOT give ANY account #s over the phone or internet. I have one cc I use to buy stuff online. I pay cash for whatever I buy, period.. If the seller won't take the cc, I ain't buying from him. I applied to PP & had everything filled out until it asked for my bank account # I then hit DELETE!!!!!
The police didn't tell you to go to the DA's office? Thats strange in itself, as its a total crime... so if you did your own investigation how did arrive at who did it? The whole ID scam isn't about whom you give CC#'s too though... its about whom gets all your pertinent info.. as I said above... if you go to the doc's office, rent an apartment, buy a house, apply for anything credit-wise.. those things will leave a person vulnerable. Do you own a shredder(I hope so..I do, and I use it). do you shred all banking correspondence.. which again is really not relevant... sure someone steals info off of a CC and uses it.. but what can someone do with a CC that is maxed? I've not had my ID stolen.. not saying it wont happen.. but I don't believe its going to be from someone wanting CC info, or bank info.. they'll want the whole enchilada.. that being your SS#... So... did you sue this guy, report him to you local DA and press charges, civil suit, small claims court.... any of the above? Curious here.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:37 PM
outdoorhunting

We come to Florida for the winters. This happened over a 2 week period. I went to Home Depot got a copy of DL & other retailers where he bought stuff. WalMart had his pic on a security camera overlooking a cash register. By the time I got all info & went to the cops to report it ( we were going home the next day.) the cop wanted us to stay in town, I told him he could call me, he said no. I told him to stick it, since I had done all his work for him. I guess I should've taken him some donuts !!
Old 01-24-2011, 05:49 PM
DGrant

Yep.. lesson learned.. I'm sure the hard way. I hope it all comes to pass, and the culprit ends up in prison.. which is where most do end up eventually... its just a matter of time, and karma.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:35 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: outdoorhunting

We come to Florida for the winters. This happened over a 2 week period. I went to Home Depot got a copy of DL & other retailers where he bought stuff. WalMart had his pic on a security camera overlooking a cash register. By the time I got all info & went to the cops to report it ( we were going home the next day.) the cop wanted us to stay in town, I told him he could call me, he said no. I told him to stick it, since I had done all his work for him. I guess I should've taken him some donuts !!
First, papal wants to use your bank account so they pay less in transaction fees, they use your credit card or whatever other source you give them as a backup if your bank account is overdrawn. When you sign up for an account all the information about how they do business and how the system works is there for you to read if you choose, but most, IMO don't bother they just sign up and go. It is safer this way than giving your CC # to everybody you purchase from. I work in the retail business and we take credit card #,s along with the CCID # all day long over the phone and people never think twice about giving that information over the phone to someone they've never met. If I was dishonest I could have charged 1,000's to their accounts. 2nd the police have so much on their plate dealing with drugs, murderers, etc. that they don't have time to chase down all the people out there who are dealing in identity theft, even if you were nice enough to buy them some donuts. If you own a home check with your home owners insurance and see if they don't already offer identity theft protection as part of your policy. 3rd. Get used to it, the days of our using cash are numbered and the world will soon do away with all cash and only use electronic banking and payment services. Did you know that many of your credit cards and the enhanced drivers license's some states issue are implanted with a tracking chip?
Old 01-24-2011, 07:59 PM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

i have about 10 years using paypal....to get payments and send payments. The bank account is for your safe, sometimes you can get a CC and there is no way that you can find if the cc is fine or stolen. The bank back up is the way that paypal will refund you the money if you dont get what you want, order, etc. Look it that way and maybe you will start to see things in the other way.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:08 PM
rjbarthel

Im also a 10 yr+ user of paypal . They give you the option of to pay via card or checking or savings any form of account you add to your account . Sounds to me like you dont have a card listed also that your new to paypal . call them they surly will help you out !
Old 01-25-2011, 12:19 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: ScottMcM

I opened a separate bank account, and gave that info to paypal. When I need to make a paypal payment, I transfer funds to that account from my other account. Otherwise, there is seldom any money in that account. Works for me.
I've done the same, but at a secondary Credit Union, not my primary Credit Union.
When it's checking gets up there from eBay sales, I transfer to my savings.

I'd never use my primary checking account with PayPal.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:03 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ScottMcM

Opening a separate bank account for paypal only is the best idea I've heard but I will stick to using my CC. If they wont take a CC there are hundreds of other vendors that will. The other thing about paypal is someone has to pay for the transaction. That's why paypal is in business.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:27 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Zippi

Opening a separate bank account for paypal only is the best idea I've heard but I will stick to using my CC.
Not sure about banks, but both of my Credit Union's allow users to present their debit card AS a credit card -or- debit card.
As a debit card I need to enter my PIN, not so as a credit card. Withdraw limits are different too. PLUS, since both are tied into my checking account, I can't spend more than I have in that account.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:32 AM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

I had forgotten until I read your post, but I presented my debit card to paypal as backup payment, so it is all tied to the separate account. And, like you, I can't spend more than I have in that account.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.