Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Best INDOOR 3D PLANE??

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Best INDOOR 3D PLANE??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:47 PM
XxOoCoBrAoOxX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best INDOOR 3D PLANE??

Hey guys im wondering what is a great indoor 3d plane that doesnt cost much? Im only looking to spend about $100-185.

In the past ive built 2 indoor planes but they both came out to be too heavy because I used a 70g motor a 3s 800mah. Please link some really nice electronic setups with the arf planes. And what do you guys think about using hot glue at a low level heat? What is an alternative to hot glue that does a better job and doesnt put on a lot of weight?

Old 02-12-2011, 04:05 AM
aussiesteve

Default RE: Best INDOOR 3D PLANE??

a 4-Site is pretty good fun indoors
If you have a reasonable indoor space to fly in - a Thunder Tiger "EPP" series plane is a blast also. I have built a lot of them using hot glue (and Staples for holding the hinges in place) - never had a problem with that.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:42 AM
ohnoucdat
My Feedback: (16)

3DHS extra http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/33-EPP-Ex...C_p_15759.html
Old 02-12-2011, 08:56 AM
k12rc

check out fancy foam rc they have the best flying ones ive found most around 6 to 9 oz depending on you and how you build
Old 02-12-2011, 02:36 PM
XxOoCoBrAoOxX

Hey thanks for that suggestion. I took a look at the plane but what kind of glue should I get to build her? And is there a certain technique when we apply that hot glue...? It is kinda heavy but I'm not to sure... Wouldn't CA crack the flushed edges?

Let me know guys and please keep bringing in the planes...

Also what do you guys think about the new BNF Extra from Horizon? I have a dx7 and that would be perfect, but it seems kinda pricey...

Old 02-12-2011, 02:44 PM
k12rc

use foam safe ca Iuse the new 11x JR with the 6300 or 6100rx the one with end pins to keep it light don't use hot glue
Old 02-13-2011, 05:33 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...oducts_id=2422
Old 02-21-2011, 05:38 PM
lokiyawl

ORIGINAL: XxOoCoBrAoOxX

Hey guys im wondering what is a great indoor 3d plane that doesnt cost much? Im only looking to spend about $100-185.

In the past ive built 2 indoor planes but they both came out to be too heavy because I used a 70g motor a 3s 800mah. Please link some really nice electronic setups with the arf planes. And what do you guys think about using hot glue at a low level heat? What is an alternative to hot glue that does a better job and doesnt put on a lot of weight?

The best bang for the buck has to be the Eflite 4-Site which you should be able to find for under $70 RTF. I have owned 6 of these little planes and have accumulated more than 200 hours on them. You will want to modify the battery installation, it is actually on the wrong side of the plane! The plane is heavy on the RH side without the battery, which is designed to be installed on that same side so the CG in stock condition is way off to the RH side, move the battery to the LH side of the model and it will fly much better. Also move the battery lower (greatly improves high alpha harrier) on the fuse and get it back to about where the carbon rods supporting the wing are. This should give just a slight push when inverted and will reduce the tendency this plane has of dropping the nose with rudder inputs. And if you kill your 4-Site airframe there is a multitude of aftermaket airframes for your gear. There are much better flying models than the 4-Site but not for the same money!

James
Old 02-21-2011, 06:14 PM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

And if you kill your 4-Site airframe there is a multitude of aftermaket airframes for your gear.

James

Do you have any links?
Old 02-22-2011, 03:55 PM
tee681

delux v3 from donut modles best plane you will ever fly the 4 site is junk
Old 04-30-2011, 08:13 PM
lokiyawl

ORIGINAL: drumbum

And if you kill your 4-Site airframe there is a multitude of aftermaket airframes for your gear.

James

Do you have any links?
The best Micro 3D plane I have ever built and flown is a lightened (use 2 MM foam instead of the stock 3 MM, use RC Canopy glue and UHU where possible) version of the Donuts Models Micro Aito. I built one using the power system out of a Eflite Micro Beast that came in at 53 grams less battery. The second one used the 4-Site components and an AP05 on 2S with 120 MAH Lipo. That power setup makes more than 100 grams of thrust and my plane came in at 48 grams (less battery) ..it is a BLAST to fly. Doing rollers 6" off the gym floor is a cinch with ths plane. Edges really nice too. James
Old 04-30-2011, 08:18 PM
lokiyawl

ORIGINAL: tee681

delux v3 from donut modles best plane you will ever fly the 4 site is junk
The Eflite Micro 4-Site is a great little plane. I have accumulated about 200 hours of flight time on the 6 that I have owned and have done a lot of trimming to improve them. You have to use good batteries to realize the potential, the stock Elfite batteries just don't cut it. Use Hyperion 160's, 180's or the Thunderpower 160's and the power is great. I usually get about 25-30 hours on the stock motor before the power begins to fall off.

James