Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

u can do 46 wing problem

The removal of the wing tips would be done for potential 3D performance gains only. There is always a give and take with any design change. It wouldn't be difficult to extend the wing tips. If they were not extended it would be a good idea to lighten it up as much as possible. I don't think the loss of a couple inches of alieron would hurt you much.

u can do 46 wing problem

Elevator joiner, .25 and .125 tubes, nice and stiff.

Dylan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101455_27693.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	57271  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

u can do 46 wing problem

Thanks Dylan,

Looks VERY stiff. Should help save a ton of weight. I think I'll try something similar...
    Yup, that\'s gonna leave a mark...

u can do 46 wing problem

Will the UCD 60 have the same problem with the flutter and wings folding
    What goes up^Must come down. I hope I come down smooth!@

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

u can do 46 wing problem

the ucd 46 doesn't really have a problem with that, ANY 3d plane is going to have problems with flutter if you run too large of an engine at high speeds... there are many happy people (including myself) racking up many hours on the .46. (haven't flown the .60, but from what i've heard the .46 is actually a nicer plane to fly!)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

u can do 46 wing problem

no the u can do 3d 60 doesn't have any problems. there are 3 in my club .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

flutter

The only problem with flutter is that the first warning you notice is right before something rips off. Speaking from expereince.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

u can do 46 wing problem

I have about 20 flights on my replacement can-do 46. Flys great! I did a very hard blender Sunday morning, and nothing broke!

Later, Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

u can do 46 wing problem

Just because a plane is rated for 3D doesn't imply that it is indestructible. If you want to do full throttle blenders from a full speed dive and fly around like your trying the break the sound barrier ,knock yourself out.

But don't get on-line and whine about the flutter that destroyed your plane while you were only at half throttle.
    Because you probably damaged it the last time you flew it and just didn't know it.

It's like driving your car for a 100 miles in first gear at 75 miles a hour. And the next day it blows up at a stop sign 2 miles from your house
    Then telling everyone that will listen that what a piece of junk your car is the engine blew up while idling at a stop sign

If this doesn't apply to you don't be offended., but all you stick bangers with the big engines aren't telling the whole story. Speed kills , dudes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

u can do 46 wing problem

I agree flowmaster.

Off topic, taking UCD46 #1 (died due to radio issues) and taking the tapered tips off and extending out the flat tips as you suggested in post #21 here. We'll see how light I can keep things as the fuse broke in half at the TE of the wing...

Still waiting for my radio back from the Futaba folks - should be by this weekend (cross your fingers). #2 is just sitting there looking at me wondering why I don't go fly it...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

u can do 46 wing problem

maxim

That would be cool . I'm , really interested in discovering if it will help the wing tips stall for better harriers and elevators

I doubt if the wing tips are providing much lift You could just take the wing tips off , leave the ailerons extended beyond the tips and test fly it at slow speed and you won't have any problems.

If would be simple to make tips out of some type of Styrofoam and hollow out the inside as much a possible for weight savings. These could even be taped on temporarily for comparison.

Good luck

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

u can do 46 wing problem

Double post

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

u can do 46 wing problem

The C.G. makes a substantial difference in how it 3D's. It should be at 6" to 6.25" to really free it up, A 5" CG is great for Knife edge flight ,very little coupling.

Did you build the tips up or did you use a solid block? Pictures would be great. What engine are you using?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

u can do 46 wing problem

I built the tips up, using balsa to basically emulate the current structure of the wing. Sheeted the LE with 3/32 and salvaged some balsa from one of the shredded Ailerons for the TE. When covered it should look just like it had always been there.

Not sure what engine I'll run in this one. I'd really like to run the YS 63, but, I'm thinking of getting a hold of an OS50SX from a guy at our field. #2 is running what I had in this one, don't laugh, it's an OS46FX. Reasoning: this plane is a bounce back from a really nice Extra I tanked - want to just have fun and fly for a bit before I invest a whole lotta money again. I should call them the UCANBECHEAP...

Max

Name:	103735_43089.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	57272  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

u can do 46 wing problem

Another shot of the new tips:

Name:	103736_43089.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	57273  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

u can do 46 wing problem

The whole wing structure now weighs 12 oz. minus ailerons, covering, etc. The previous weight was 11.5, but with the various little fixed I had to make to the crash damage, I don't feel too badly. Plus I think my new covering job will be MUCH lighter overall...

Last pic:

Name:	103737_43089.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	57274  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

u can do 46 wing problem

Nice job Max. That looks great. I think you're right about the covering , there are a lot of layers on the original.

Did you have any difficulty balancing your plane with the .46? Where did it balance?

The YS 63 is a hot little engine but it can be difficult to adjust and a real pain if the pump acts up.I have one on a Flip.

I'm using OS 70 on my ucd 46 and it will turn a 14x4 APC wide prop with more authority, and is much more user friendly .There is just no substitute for cubic inches.

The OS 50 should work fine.

Get that thing in the air, dude

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

u can do 46 wing problem

Funny enough, for the few flights I made on the #1 UCD, the 46 seemed pretty good. Took off to vert in about 10 feet or so, but didn't really hammer it. Did some high altitude hovers and had no authority to pull out, but that was ok at the time. Even managed a decent (but slow) waterfall without having full 3d deflections.

Things are a bit different now. I've drilled the muffler, pulled the baffle, as well, I've now got two Hitec 5475HB's on the back, elevators are coupled.

To balance, I put my 6v 1200 nimh under the fuel tank, have just the 2 servos in back and managed a 5 1/2" balance.. I noted earlier that with the CF rods, there's NO flutter, even with the coupled elevator...

Come on radio, come back!

Max

u can do 46 wing problem

Originally posted by maxim_jd
    [B]The whole wing structure now weighs 12 oz. minus ailerons, covering, etc. The previous weight was 11.5, but with the various little fixed I had to make to the crash damage, I don't feel too badly. Plus I think my new covering job will be MUCH lighter overall...
    I know what you mean about the covering, i took 7 ounces of covering off of mine.

heres a sneak peek.

Dylan

Name:	103893_27693.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	57275  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

u can do 46 wing problem

Ok guys I have a ucd 60 w hitec 645 servos all around and a 2100 ma 6 volt batt, and the os 91 FX. With a 14-6 prop, 4-40 rods and threaded clevises over kill on the hardware but with this kind of plane you do no want any slop that causes flutter and flutter will snap the wing in half. Fly’s great, no problems with flutter but did have a problem with landing gear. They just wouldn't stay on. Well after glassing those on the gear will flatten on a hard landing with no fuse damage. Though did snap the fuse in half on a harrier landing, the mpi servo reverser went out and one elevator half went to full up and caused the plane to nose in, it’s funny how a tail heavy plane will snap like that.
    Now I am upgrading the power to a ys 120 I think not sure at this point but for hovering I need a little more, the 91 is good but I want overkill.
    Hanger nine makes the funtana I have one of those also and will do everything the ucd will do but role extremely fast. Just a thought the funtana is built very well. Where the ucd was put together kind of crappie once you work all of the bugs out the ucd is a great 3d plane. But remeber no slop, fix the gear and make sure the plane is built properly before you fly it. prop it right and the plane will do everything you put it into.

Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

u can do 46 wing problem

Max ---
    Great Planes should have designed this plane with the option of using one or both elevator servos. I joined the elevators l. and I'm using 5475's as well. Dude you're brilliant. The dual elevator servos are the only thing wrong with this plane. Good idea wrong plane

Dylan
    That looks great. I covered the fuselage on my Flip with "Carbon Fiber" simulated covering. I don't know who makes it. But it's so realistic that a guy that makes carbon fiber props, actually touched it and still didn't realize it wasn't carbon fiber. People just trip out, they think its some kind of exotic , high price ,super plane. Matching the cowl is the problem, I simply never put mine on

u can do 46 wing problem

i went with futaba 9405 servos on the tail, joined elevator halves, 3004's on the ailerons, 3101 on the throttle, robart super ball link control horns, dubro ball joints, 4-40 hardware, 5/32 carbon pushrods from central hobbies and dubro servo arms, also went with pin style dubro hinges and im going to seal the hinge gaps, the 3004's will get replaced with 9202's as soon as i can, all run off of 6 volts. should be bulletproof.

Dylan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

u can do 46 wing problem

Dylan
    The 9202's are a great servo, my favorite all around choice, and they will work well on the ailerons. It would be nice if they had a little more torque

You might try adding another wing dowel (or 2) if possible

I built a little compartment at the very rear of the fuse with a removable cover.When I want to change the C.G. I toss in a couple of lead sinkers.

Your set up looks excellent ,I don't see how it could be better. What engine are you using?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

u can do 46 wing problem

Dang Flow, nice looking covering job! I've been trying to think of how to cover mine.

Glad to hear other people are also using the joined elevator halves. As soon as I saw the first posts about it being tail heavy I knew I'd want to do something there, especially with the smaller engine I'm running.

A thought: Futaba just came out with that S3010. It's pretty much standard size, relatively quick on 6 volts, but throws 90oz of torque around. Plus, it's pretty light at 1.6oz. It's also dang cheap, I think Tower has them for $25 or so. It's not digital, but for this size plane, 90oz at that weight would be pretty good. Thoughts?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

u can do 46 wing problem

Max

That's not my plane. but it does look great

You don't need digitals, just a servo that centers well. I'm not familiar with the 3010,the price and torque sounds good . I assume it isn't coreless

Did you get my PM?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast