Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Clear Coat on ailerons for 3D flying

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Clear Coat on ailerons for 3D flying

Old 05-28-2011, 06:14 AM
rcinspired

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Coat on ailerons for 3D flying

hello,i have a yak 54 30% from aeroworks, and was wondering if its a good idea to put clear coat on the hinged area of the Aileron that attaches to the wing. i heard that its important if i want to fly 3D, so the ailerons won't rip off. Also, is this clear coat a spray or regular coat and where to buy it? thank you very much for your help.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:23 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Clear Coat on ailerons for 3D flying

I think you are talking about sealing the hinge gap. This is done with clear Monocote or packing tape. It will improve the effectiveness of your control surface and can prevent flutter. If the gap is small though you will not gain a lot. I think the Aero Works planes are pre hinged and the gap is set. If this is the case I would just leave it alone. The only downside is, you can reduce the throw of the ailes. Either by getting the material too tight or by having it bunch up between the aile and wing.

david
Old 05-28-2011, 09:16 AM
rcinspired

thank you very much
Old 05-28-2011, 11:47 AM
ameyam

You can manually deflect the aileron to the maxiumum possible extent away from you with the servo disconnected and then install the clearcote or packing tape so that it follows the contours of the hinge gap in the deflected condition. That way, you will not the throws. Whether it helps or not- the jury is still out on that so you decide. Just remember to fully deflect the aileron away from you when doing this so that will be more than the servo throw. You need to do this on only the lower side of the wing. If you are usung packing tape, run the round back of a scissor over the tape to remove all air bubbles and ensure good contact- the tape is prone to coming of in flight due to fuel

Ameyam
Old 05-28-2011, 02:12 PM
k12rc

you can also use the tape we use on foamy planes for hinges mine been on the hinges three years with out a problem
30% yak also 37.5 yak also youse it on my turbines
Old 05-30-2011, 04:40 PM
ThumbSkull
My Feedback: (57)

I use 3M Blenderm medical tape for sealing hinges.