Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Seagull Yak54 Saito 100?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Seagull Yak54 Saito 100?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Mikel-t
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seagull Yak54 Saito 100?

I'm ready to jump on this plane because: its a Yak, it looks great, and judging by the YouTube vid's it flies as nice as my Extra 260. Most of the YouTube planes were using Saitos 100 and up and a few were 26-gassers. If anybody is flying this plane could you give me your engine choice and flying weight?. THanks.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:36 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Seagull Yak54 Saito 100?

[quote]ORIGINAL: Mikel-t

I'm ready to jump on this plane because: its a Yak, it looks great,

Old 06-22-2011, 05:04 AM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

9.5 lbs to 10 .5 lbs dry depending on setup, not an ideal 3d bird as airframe to heavy. I have a strong 20cc petrol in mine and is 10 lbs dry. throwing a 17 8 at 8300 and dont think I would like to attempt hovering ect at low altitude, maybe with the right prop, im not a 3d pilot ,yet. If this airframe was a couple of pounds lighter it would be great.

I have never had a saito but i believe they are light strong engines so maybe you would get away with it but I dowbt it, I originally had a magnum 120 fs in mine and it flew it no problem but would not even pull a large loop, I would say saito 125 as a minimum with the right prop may get you some 3d ability. 30 cc gas would give you the power required but then you are adding to the wing loading for good 3d and is quite a large engine for this frame. If they made a dle 25 this would be perfect for this frame lol.

BTW I am not a expert on 3d but have the yak and have been looking around and seen what weight and performance it has with a few engines. This is a good acro/sports flyer but not what I will be learning to 3d on.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:50 AM
Mikel-t
My Feedback: (12)

Well thats the adivce I was looking for.... thanks Raydar. I do have a Zenoah 26 w/elec. ignition added on, however I think the AUW weight would be @ 5KG... (oh the decisions we suffer through to play with airplanes ..LOL.) Mikel-T