Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

<Sigh>, decisions, decisions...

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

<Sigh>, decisions, decisions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 06:51 PM
djmp69

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default <Sigh>, decisions, decisions...

I am flying a Funtana S90 with a OS 1.08, 16X6. 3D. LOVEit! It will do anything I ask it to do, when I actually do the maneuver correctly, lol. I've been looking at the newer version of this plane, the 125x, and am really interested in making that move. The spec'd improvements speak for themselves. HOWEVERI've been hearing the raves about the Edge 540, and as I've always heard, it is the best aerobatic plane out there. Now, I do realize that different ARFS, kits, etc perform differently. SO. That being said, Ihave a brand new Seagull Edge 540 (cowlings not even cut) that's waiting for guts, but I'm really thinking about just selling it and getting the new Funtana. But because of the reviews I've heard and read about the 540, yes, even the Seagull Edge, I'm tempted to stuff her and fly her. Just don't want to waste the time if I don't have to. Plus, I'd rather just sell the Edge as is (brand new) rather than experiment and find out I like the Funtana better anyway, then have to unload the Edge used and abused. Yeah, I know I could just get the new Funtana, ANDhook up the Edge, but it's gonna be murder finding another 1.08, PLUS, I'm trying to reduce the fleet from the 12 planes I have down to about 3 or 4.

Has anyone had a chance to actually compare these two planes? Pros/Cons of both vs each other? The Edge I have is the same class as the Funtana, just about the same wingspan, 10" shorter length than the Funtana, and from what I've researched, especially from RCU, the same power plant serves the Edge well so Iplan to use the same set up if I go with the Edge.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 09-01-2011, 01:07 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: <Sigh>, decisions, decisions...

My knowledge of the two Funtanas is second hand, but does come from a good flyer. He said the 1.25 is improved but not night and day. It is more stable in a harrier and the coupling in KE is improved. I only have the old yellow Funtana so I can't give you the complete picture. For my part either Funtana should out fly the SG edge. At least for 3D type flying.

David
Old 09-01-2011, 03:07 PM
djmp69

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: <Sigh>, decisions, decisions...

ORIGINAL: daveopam

My knowledge of the two Funtanas is second hand, but does come from a good flyer. He said the 1.25 is improved but not night and day. It is more stable in a harrier and the coupling in KE is improved. I only have the old yellow Funtana so I can't give you the complete picture. For my part either Funtana should out fly the SG edge. At least for 3D type flying.

David
Good to know, precisely the kind of info Im looking for! I too am flying the old yellow Funtana and I love it, but the harrier indeed could be more stable, and the KE coupling is so ridiculous that it actually does a pretty tight KE circle with little more effort than inputting rudder. Looks cool, but even with a mix is a little squirrely to keep str8. Thanx David!

Anyone else got any advice on this?