Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Le Madness II photos, finally.

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Le Madness II photos, finally.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 06:07 AM
Braeckman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Le Madness II photos, finally.

Hallo

just heard that Irvine did get her first shipment of Madness 2 and Synergy 90 3 D...

rgds
Alvin
Old 11-10-2003, 05:56 AM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I finally completed my Madness 2 (actually, it has been done for a couple of weeks but the weather was awfull, terrible, horrible). Yesterday was a cloudy but very calm day, light sprinkles every now and then, but I got four flights on my new toy and had a really fine time.

What can I tell you about my new airplane. It is much more fun and gobs easier to fly than the original Madness. I went all out on setting it up with Futaba 9550 digitals on all control surfaces, I used MK rudder horns on ailerons and elevators with Dubro heavy duty long arms and Dubro ball links on those for tight linkages. I removed the Oracover from the bottom and stuffed the battery as far back as I could. It balances really nicely without any additional weight. The CG could go back another 1/2" but it did just fine where it is at about 40% chord. YS63 up front on 30% Coolpower and 13x4W APC propellor. I dilligently sealed the gap on ailerons and elevators and symmetry of response was unbelievable.

So, after finally having MY OWN Madness that I could rip through the skies as my heart desired here are a couple of thoughts.

1. Hovering: Piece of cake. On the original Madness with the YS63 I ran a 14x4W and running the 13x4 requires a little change in throttle control. The smaller prop is "spikier" and I have one click of throttle where I either descend or ascend a hair. With all the surfaces sealed the hover control is amazing allowing the pilot to move a little here or there with total predictability. I started hovering on the first flight at a safer altitude of ten feet but quickly took it down to a few inches. Playing with the throttle, I learned that this airplane is easier to control in the vertical hovering mode, up to ten, down to a few inches with no real effort to back it down straight. That is nice. Trying to pose for a few photos I tapped the tail on the ground (ohhhh, bad Mark) and gave the one click of throttle to bring it back to a nice hover. Easiest I have ever done.

2. Flips and pirouettes: One word...perfect. From a hover or level, I pushed full and the Madness did one perfect outside flip with zero course deviation. This made hover/flip/hovers very easy to do. After two flights I was confident enough with the airpane to hover/flip/hover at 8-10 feet. For the flip, I do use avout 10% up flap with down elevator and visa-versa. In fact, I just leave the mix on all the time now...I have not yet tried other mixes. The pirouette in a hover is also a very easy. Establish a nice hover, feed in left aileron, turn, stop, turn, stop, do quarter turns, flip, hover, turn, stop. Very simple, very clean, lots of fun.

3. Flat spins: Easy to enter at any attitude. My favorite is to put the airplane into a very tight radius turn and convert it into a flat spin. It works everytime. Feed in the rudder quickly with just a hair of opposing aileron. The spin is truly flat, flat, flat. Descent is easliy arrested in upright spins, it will take my thumbs some more time to figure out the ascent position. Inverted was also easy and easier to make it ascend. I feel confident that I will get the flat spin within a couple of feet of terrafirma before too loong.

4. Flying around: Point rolls, square loops, whatever, easy, accurate, vertical rolls are straight, nothing is difficult or twitchy. The Madness series has always flown with a patternesque like accuracy. Yes, this airplane can be very very competative in sportsman pattern.

5. Knife-edge: I did not mix in any corrections so I have no idea what percentages might be needed, but this airplane will fly a nice funflyer type knife-edge. Knife-edge circles, octagons, whatever. Lay it over, give it rudder, play with the ailerons or mix out the rolling tendancy (not nearly as much as the origianl however) and jab the elevator to draw wild lines around the sky. It is fun, it looks impressive and is very simple.

6. Harrier rolls: No brainer here. Pitch the nose up, add full aileron, feed in the proper rudder and elevator inputs. Roll across straight, bring it around, circles, or just roll through a hover and reverse directions. Easy, honest, responsive. Throttle control is important. I'll have to curve my throttle a little to simplifly all of this 3D stuff.

7. HARRIERS: Yes it will. It is not the easiest, but I have not yet tried a reflex on flaps. I'm confident that by adding a few degrees of up flap will help and make regular harrier flight easy. Much better than the original.

8: Parachutes and walls: Go straight, pull. That's all there is to it. Try going straight, pull, push and punch for a perfect wall/flip/hover/pirouette and exit into a harrier roll circle to a tight inside turn series ending in a flat spin that exits into knife-edge circles into an ascending inverted flat. Then pause for a Coka-Cola and let somebody else have the airspace for a few minutes.

Well, four flights on a cloudy sprinkly day allowed me to fully try out the above mentioned fun-fly figures. I'll work on expanding my repitiore to include stuff tht I just could not get figured out on the original. I have already seen everything done when BPLR wowed us all with his brand of magic. Ohh, those TOC pilots are good. I am completely satisfied with my Madness2, glad to have my very own that I can abuse freely at will.

I wonder what the next few years will bring and what we can expect from Madness III (NO, THERE IS NOTHING THAT I KNOW OF CALLED MADNESS III). The Madness 2 is a fine machine with far more capablility than I have. I will have a fine time next season taking it to various shows around Belgium and Germany. It makes a great platform for demonstrations.

Regards,
Mark
Old 11-10-2003, 11:01 AM
Ian.W

which do you rekon is better, the flip or the M2
Old 11-11-2003, 05:13 AM
Baper

Could you please take a photo of the box and its contents as it is shipped from the factory?
I am waiting my MD2 to come.

The MD1 I had, gave me a lot of fun.
It was a plane that I would not go without it at the field.

A friend has a Flip 3D , we used to Fly them side by side.
Both are Good planes but we both preferred my MD1.
It was lighter.
IMHO smoother, crispier , better overall in every 3D maneuver except KE.

Baper[8D]
Old 11-11-2003, 05:26 PM
GuyIncognito

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To Mark N - Any plans to distribute the ZNLine kits in North America (ie. cheaper shipping etc.)