Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Why Is 3D Hated?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Why Is 3D Hated?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 10:33 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why Is 3D Hated?

Dont fly over the pitts or yank a "wall" while you got a pylon racer and others behind you..
If you intend to drop down and hover on the runway, call it and move when other ask, like when they need to land etc.
As mentioned, its communication, how do you think airports do it ....
Old 12-11-2011, 04:53 PM
sir crashallot

ORIGINAL: nitro wing

Dont fly over the pitts or yank a "wall" while you got a pylon racer and others behind you..
If you intend to drop down and hover on the runway, call it and move when other ask, like when they need to land etc.
As mentioned, its communication, how do you think airports do it ....

You hit the nail on the head. I hate flying a plane when someone is flying a heli and doing 3d stunts with it, you can never tell where it is because of the degree of concentration on your own plane. I find it does help when they give you verbal warnings, for example, landing, deadstick, man on field (for taking off) Heads up if you discover a major problem or fault whilst flying. it is all about letting other flyers know where you are and what your doing, Although there are some people who may feel intimidated and worried to fly due to lack of experience or a case of there not as quick on the sticks as they used to be. Also i find asking club members how they thought you flew and where they ok with some of the 3d stunts you may have done, if they dont like certain stunts then try leave those out till they go.... or for a day when there not there, its mostly all down to communication.

Also every payed member of a club has the right to voice there opinions and also ask these such questions at club meetings and gatherings where it can be talked about in the meeting with allot of members present, sometimes talking about it in a club meeting can resolve such moans.

For the record im just starting to learn 3d with a yak 54 lmao and no one at our club flys 3d so im probably going to be assassinated by my club.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: sir crashallot
For the record im just starting to learn 3d with a yak 54 lmao and no one at our club flys 3d so im probably going to be assassinated by my club.[img][/img]

It sounds like you have a good understanding of how to keep the peace with other flyers. If everyone showed a little consideration there wouldn’t be any of this us and them mentality. When others are in the air and flying circuits I can practice my knife edge passes, rolls all points and slow, snaps etc. There are lots of options that you can practice in the circuit without causing others to take evasive maneuvers. When I have the sky to myself I work on the more difficult maneuvers often providing entertainment for other with my efforts. The bonus is I don’t have to worry about anyone distracting me. There is room in the sky for all and time for all to fly their particular discipline what ever that may be.

Dennis
Old 12-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just can not stand anyone hovering a plane or Helicopter 10 to 15 ft. in front of me while I am flying, I feel totally at risk because I am concentrating on my plane and can not watch what they are doing and if they lose it I am totally at risk of injury. There is one guy at the club that will hover right in front of you and you can feel the prop blast and hear the roar of the engine so you know its close and it is totally unnerving. If you say anything your accused of being a Old Fart and etc. I think why so many 3D flyers are disliked is their arrogant attitude.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Propworn

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Waco
I think why so many 3D flyers are disliked is their arrogant attitude.
The majority of the flyers who are flying or attempting 3D that I have met are considerate of other flyers and do go to great lengths to not antagonize anyone at the flying field. Unfortunately in every discipline there are a few who consider themselves so superior that the rules of the club and extending some courtesy towards others just doesn't apply to them. These few unfortunately are the ones everyone tends to remember and then the rest of the group may well get painted with the same brush.

Dennis
Old 12-12-2011, 04:32 PM
sir crashallot

ORIGINAL: Waco

I just can not stand anyone hovering a plane or Helicopter 10 to 15 ft. in front of me while I am flying, I feel totally at risk because I am concentrating on my plane and can not watch what they are doing and if they lose it I am totally at risk of injury. There is one guy at the club that will hover right in front of you and you can feel the prop blast and hear the roar of the engine so you know its close and it is totally unnerving. If you say anything your accused of being a Old Fart and etc. I think why so many 3D flyers are disliked is their arrogant attitude.

Im 25 sir and if someone flew like that infront of me id report the club member in question to the clubs saftey officer. I agree its wreckless and is partly what gives 3d flyers a bad reputation. If i did that at my club id be shot for sh*t and given a warning, if i did it a second id be out of the club. maybee clubs need to set a small 3d rules and regs booklet up for 3d pilots. Personaly i understand from both sides of the everyday flyer to the 3d flyer and when i come to fly 3d il be taking into consideration what i dont like when other members fly,

All in all you treat people how you would expect to be treat yourself, and its pretty much the same for flying in my opinion
Old 12-17-2011, 03:00 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I know at my home field they don't think my 3D is cool.a few of the old timers think its reckless.others appreciate the skill that it takes but really dont care.thats ok flying 3d does require a lot of skill.it also means flying safe and knowing where and when not to do it.I am the first to admit hovering an aircraft for minutes on end all the time gets old.but so does hovering a heli 3 feet off the ground.the club needs to be tolerant and acceting for everyones fly perferences..I hate motorcycles but they have the right to sharethe road.I respect them.I get angry with aggresive drivers but not everyone is like that.so if you fly 3d have enough respect not to hog the runway to hover or fly close to the pits.EVERBODY CAN PRATICE COURTESY AND COMMON SENSE and get along just fine.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:00 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: cloudancer03

I know at my home field they don't think my 3D is cool.a few of the old timers think its reckless.others appreciate the skill that it takes but really dont care.thats ok flying 3d does require a lot of skill.it also means flying safe and knowing where and when not to do it.I am the first to admit hovering an aircraft for minutes on end all the time gets old.but so does hovering a heli 3 feet off the ground.the club needs to be tolerant and acceting for everyones fly perferences..I hate motorcycles but they have the right to sharethe road.I respect them.I get angry with aggresive drivers but not everyone is like that.so if you fly 3d have enough respect not to hog the runway to hover or fly close to the pits.EVERBODY CAN PRATICE COURTESY AND COMMON SENSE and get along just fine.

What's to hate about motorcycles???[X(]

jess
Old 12-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Farmer Ted
My Feedback: (5)

Motorcycles?

They're loud, obnoxious, and in my experience, the vast majority of the people that ride them think they have something to prove. I don't actually hate the motorcycles, I used to have one. I just don't care for most of the folks that ride them (and that includes dirt bikes, harleys, and sport bikes). Maybe that's why I sold mine.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:32 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: Farmer Ted

Motorcycles?

They're loud, obnoxious, and in my experience, the vast majority of the people that ride them think they have something to prove. I don't actually hate the motorcycles, I used to have one. I just don't care for most of the folks that ride them (and that includes dirt bikes, harleys, and sport bikes). Maybe that's why I sold mine.

Sorry you dislike me and my friends so much. As we have never met I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are a nice enough guy. Perhaps you just fell in with a bad crowd?

jess

Old 12-18-2011, 05:13 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I,ve rode for the last 40+ years and have to admit the last 10 years or so things have really changed. Now the trend is to buy a Harley and new badazz looking leather , put loud pipes onthe bike and make a fashion statement. A bike run consist of hitting as many bars as one can in a 100 mile radius and as they get a few drinks under thier belt, things just get more and more out of hand. It does give us true bikers a black eye as we are all judge by the wanna be actions.
The same can be said for 3D, it only takes a few to give the rest a bad rap. Common courtesy goes a long way in any sport and respect is earned not given.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:58 AM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: Insanemoondoggie

I,ve rode for the last 40+ years and have to admit the last 10 years or so things have really changed. Now the trend is to buy a Harley and new badazz looking leather , put loud pipes on the bike and make a fashion statement. A bike run consist of hitting as many bars as one can in a 100 mile radius and as they get a few drinks under thier belt, things just get more and more out of hand. It does give us true bikers a black eye as we are all judge by the wanna be actions.
The same can be said for 3D, it only takes a few to give the rest a bad rap. Common courtesy goes a long way in any sport and respect is earned not given.

There seems to be a remarkable connection between consumption of alcohol and boorish behavior. Maybe just coincidence There is also a fairlly widely held belief that the level of civility in the population in general has declined. A trip to Wal-Mart would seem to confirm that theory.

jess
Old 12-18-2011, 10:34 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: Insanemoondoggie

I,ve rode for the last 40+ years and have to admit the last 10 years or so things have really changed. Now the trend is to buy a Harley and new badazz looking leather , put loud pipes on the bike and make a fashion statement. A bike run consist of hitting as many bars as one can in a 100 mile radius and as they get a few drinks under thier belt, things just get more and more out of hand. It does give us true bikers a black eye as we are all judge by the wanna be actions.
[8D] Well Said !!!

In the club I'm a member of , 3D isnt hated at all , and I dont beleive any kind of flying is hated , to the best of my knowlege ... Course , we've only got maybe 50 members , so the field is pretty vacant most of the time . We all get by just fine with the standard calls of "on the field" , , "dead stick" , , , and the occasional "nice landing" (said no matter how good or bad the landing really was !) ... in short , a great group of people CAN get along , just by having a bit of mutual respect ...
Old 12-18-2011, 11:25 AM
jessiej

We have all seen irresponsible behavior displayed by 3D, Pattern, Scale, automobiles, cell phones, shopping carts, farm equipment, boats, golf carts, overly loud music, and any number of other methods.
It would seem the last couple of posts point in the right direction.

jess
Old 12-19-2011, 02:19 PM
PropsnWings
My Feedback: (9)

I have to agree with your statement here. I dont mind the occasional show of 3D, if I am watching or if the pilot wants to keep it down on the end of the runway...... But when its 10-20 feet from me and I am getting my hair restyled to the tune of their exhuast, It puts more than just me in jeopardy, as now I am not fully concentrating on my own plane due to being unnerved by the 3D pilot.

Again, I dont mind watching this once in a while, but it does get old after a while, when the pilots dont realize the increased risk they are putting on everyone.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:16 PM
wind junkie

ORIGINAL: PropsnWings
I am getting my hair restyled to the tune of their exhuast
Great quote! I gotta remember that one.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:41 PM
PropsnWings

LOL ! I know... it just came outa nowhere!
Old 12-19-2011, 05:59 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know, but maybe so many don't like 3D cause so many are unable to do it. I gave it a whirl and the first thing I realized was I wasn't as capable a pilot as I thought I was. Still not after a few years with yak's, edge's,  and profiles. At my field we get along pretty good. There is a couple of bad egg's, but everyone know's who they are and don't fly with them.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:58 PM
PropsnWings

ORIGINAL: acerc

I don't know, but maybe so many don't like 3D cause so many are unable to do it. I gave it a whirl and the first thing I realized was I wasn't as capable a pilot as I thought I was. Still not after a few years with yak's, edge's, and profiles. At my field we get along pretty good. There is a couple of bad egg's, but everyone know's who they are and don't fly with them.
Thats with anything in life, really. I try not to classify all 3'Ders into one category due to the actions of one or two. I have flown with some good piloted 3D ships, and it is a pleasure since they understand I dont want a prop near my head anymore than they do.

I like my realistic flights, and they like their 3D.... Sure I wouldnt mind giving 3D a whirl... but I honestly dont want to waste the funds on all the increased crashing from the learning curve. And a Foamy just isnt a real plane IMO, wheres the fun in that? I like to build from wood!
Old 12-19-2011, 09:20 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: acerc

I don't know, but maybe so many don't like 3D cause so many are unable to do it. I gave it a whirl and the first thing I realized was I wasn't as capable a pilot as I thought I was. Still not after a few years with yak's, edge's, and profiles. At my field we get along pretty good. There is a couple of bad egg's, but everyone know's who they are and don't fly with them.
It's more about the right set up than it is pilot skill. Anyone with average motor skills can do at least "passable" 3D. Very few able bodied RC pilots are unable to do 3D....at least to the point of basic hovering and some easy to do stunts.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:42 PM
KWJ48

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

It's more about the right set up than it is pilot skill. Anyone with average motor skills can do at least ''passable'' 3D. Very few able bodied RC pilots are unable to do 3D....at least to the point of basic hovering and some easy to do stunts.
I'm not sure if I totally agree with that. 3D involves using the rudder in which have seen a lot do not know how to do. I do agree that a properly set up plane will make it easier, but you still need skills and large ***** to do what the pros do down low.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:40 PM
Farmer Ted
My Feedback: (5)

I actually agree with the opinion that setup is a large part of it but any discipline requires a certain skill set, mindframe, and setup. It takes skill and practice to thermal, slope soar, fly patterns ,etc.

I'm also kind of tired of people pulling the 'rudder card' out. The heli pilots talk that @#$% all the time. I don't fly 3D but I do all of the other stuff I mentioned above and if you can't fly with the rudder, you're pretty much screwed. I'm not sure how you can maintain any kind of precision in any discipline without the rudder...unless it's dead calm or you're always flying into the wind. I hate flying rudderless planes because you can't keep them straight at all.

Since I don't really fly with anyone, I can't say how many folks there are out there that fly without using their rudder but I'm just kind of tired of it being used as a blanket statement.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:37 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Farmer Ted, I bought and flew heli's just to help incorporate the left thumb. And I see those that don't use that left thumb at the airfield everytime I'm out there. Here were I fly there is almost alway's a cross wind. Their takeoff's and landing's are hilarous. Gotta love it.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:41 PM
jessiej

If the theory that "people don't like it because they can't do it" were valid, the NFL would play in empty stadiums.

jess
Old 12-21-2011, 09:02 AM
wind junkie

ORIGINAL: jessiej

If the theory that ''people don't like it because they can't do it'' were valid, the NFL would play in empty stadiums.

jess
I think it's more of a "sour grapes" sentiment than that. It's one thing to view a task as a source of inspiration and have admiration for its participants. Its another to actually "aspire" to see yourself doing it. Many NFL fans probably threw around a football at some point in their lives (even wives or girlfirends of players). But having the desire and fortitude to excel at a task means you can't just go for the low hanging fruit which just anyone (who flies) can get.

It's difficult. We practice to make it look easy. And hopefully have some fun in the process.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.