Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

U-C-DO 46 vs 60

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

U-C-DO 46 vs 60

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 06:17 PM
affas

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default U-C-DO 46 vs 60

I want a good 3D plane and have decided for UCD, but wonder if anyone has any suggestion for who of them i shall select, 46 vs. 60. ( and please don`t any suggestion on other planes)
Old 08-25-2003, 08:34 PM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40 vs 60

Bigger always flies better. Get the 60 even though some coupling problems have been addressed with the 46 size.

I have an OS 91 4S with 15/4 APC wide blade which has no problem hovering and pulling out. Use high torque servos.

EXCAP232
Old 08-26-2003, 04:06 AM
adrian-RCU

Default U-C-DO 46 vs 60

love our ucan60 - big and smooth or mighty and rough as you wish!!!
Old 08-27-2003, 06:31 PM
stevezero
My Feedback: (11)

Default U-C-DO 46 vs 60

The 60 flies great out of the box, but there are some necesarry mods you have to make to make it really perform, as well as stay together.

1. Epoxy the firewall. There are reports of firewalls coming out. Specially if you run a big honkin motor on it (saito 150 here ).

2. Strengthen the landing gear block. They are prone to coming out, even on a soft landing. Dont build it too strong, or else it will cause more damage. (Yes, there is such a thing of building one too strong)

3. Replace the GP CA hinges with either Radio South CA hinges, or any of the pinned hinges. (I've broken 2 hinges on an elevator half, and 2 on the rudder).

4. Seal both sides of the hingeline with either packing tape, clear monokote, or clear ultrakote (That's what saved my elevator half and rudder from exiting my plane when the hinges broke)

5. Upgrade to 4/40 stuff, and keep the 2/56 hardware for your 40 sized planes. The 2/56 hardware will bend under stress too easily. Dubro giant scale horns on both the servo and the surface have given me no problems.

6. Replace the tailwheel with either a sullivan .60 sized, or a dubro tailwheel. The stock design will not hold up well.

Another great mod that worked for me with minimal effort was to cut a hatch in the bottom of the fuse, and mount my rudder servo there. I ran some pull-pull wires to the rudder, and dont have to worry about linkage interference with the rudder and elevator. (not to mention it allows for 60+ degrees of throw on all surfaces.

The two only "complaints" I have about the .60 sized UCD, are that the canopy is weak (mine cracked twice in blenders/knifeedge spin combos), and the tail placement. The UCD 60 has alot of roll coupling, due to the elevator being too high on the fuse. They corrected that in the 46 size.

I guess what it boils down to is what equipment do you have already on hand. If you have a 46 engine and standard or mini servos, then go with the 40 sized UCD. If you already have a 90 sized engine and good BB servos, then go with the 60 size. Either way, youre going to end up with a fun plane.

One more thing about the UCD 60. The wing is one piece and is very large. It will not fit straight in most shortbed pickups. You have to angle it in. If you have a small car, then the 46 might be the way to go.

Good Luck,
Steve
Old 08-28-2003, 01:30 AM
drunkenflyer72

Default U-C-DO 46 vs 60

U-CAN-DO .46 tips? (post # 1)

i just bought the u-can-do .46. it is a great plane but there are some problems with there hardware. i have done alot of reading and i mean alot on the u-can-do. and it seems that if you use standard servos such as the futaba 3003 or 3004 you can get ALOT of flutter if you have any slop. but you can stop that if you up grade the hardware. i did not use their push pull rods. i upgraded them to 4-40s. then i put carbon fiber over the 4-40 rods. then instead of normal clamps i put ball links. dont use their control arms they flex way to much and cause a ton of slop. use something else. when you use and install your CA hinges. make sure that there is no gap in between the surfaces and the wings or stab. make sure the CG is in the right.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:04 AM
Hoss
My Feedback: (4)

Default U-C-DO 46 vs 60

Get the 60 you won't regret it. I have had so much fun with it.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:39 AM
ryontd
My Feedback: (40)

Default U-C-DO 46 vs 60

Ive got a UCD .60......SO MUCH FUN TO FLY!!!!! Saito 100- 15x6 APC prop in it has a ton of power....cant even imagine it with a Saito 1.5???ROFLOL!!! (WTG SZ!!) You will not regret going with the bigger of the two...
Old 08-28-2003, 05:14 AM
PowerPlay

Default U-C-DO 46 vs 60

The ,46 fly's better overall and looks nicer

The .60 is not as capable in some ways but it is very easy to hover and is more of a "floater" and really enjoyable to fly.. The .60 is a fairly large plane as was mentioned earlier

You will not be disappointed with either one but I've got to go with the .46. The U CAN DO's are not 3D monsters but monsters can be difficult to tame at times
Old 08-28-2003, 06:37 AM
adrian-RCU

Default U-C-DO 46 vs 60

nope - bigger is better, we have been tracking the ucan 46 to see if it's better but so far in every case the big boy in the right hands smokes the baby without the wing snap.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:22 PM
PowerPlay

Default U-C-DO 46 vs 60

I'm sure your "tracking" of the UCD 46 has been extensive and that your data indicates that the UCD 60 "smokes" the .46. You might want to consider the source of your data, however. And better yet I would suggest that you actually fly .46 before qualifying someone else's opinion
Old 08-29-2003, 04:32 AM
adrian-RCU

Default U-C-DO 46 vs 60

our source of data is first hand, personal flight testing, training new pilots, back to back flying and personal reference with other pilots plus related posts and threads on rcu and other forums, this is why my comments were as above. i must add that for us it was very disappointing to find so much negative feed back related to the 46 as we are so positive about the 60 and the 60 is by no means the be all and end all of 3d planes but it's one of the most enjoyable planes in our fleet and all ways draws a crowd, out of interest our s2g mambo , funtana and cap232 flies rings around both in every aspect but we still enjoy and fly our ucando often.