Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Bladder Fuel tanks?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Bladder Fuel tanks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 07:40 PM
ES CONTROL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bladder Fuel tanks?

I need some education .
What does a bladder tank look like ? Were can You buy them? Will It work with a gas engine? And would it be possiable Installing one in my 30cc Slick?
Old 01-10-2012, 07:43 AM
ES CONTROL

Default RE: Bladder Fuel tanks?

O K    I see no one knows .

If anyone Knows where I could find a Bladder gas fuel tank , please let me know!
Old 01-10-2012, 08:13 AM
ES CONTROL

OK .  I am finding some info.   But I still do not know if its for gas, and the tanks only go up to 12oz.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:11 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a little info. Normally, gas engines do not need bladder tanks since they are pumped, . I have only seen bladder tanks in use with pattern flyers (glo engines) and pylon racers (glo engines). I have used them in both situations, love them in my pylon racer (more consistent fuel burn). I think its overkill in my pattern plane since I am running ys (pumped), but hey it cannot hurt. I use Tettra bubbleless tanks. I do not believe they will work with gas.

So, may I ask why you think you need one?? I see guys doing some pretty radical maneuvers and never have a fuel proplem, except for one guy (who will remain nameless because he should have known better) who had mistakenly replaced his fuel tank tubing with glo tubing instead of gas. It got stiff as a board.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:53 AM
ES CONTROL

MY 71" Slick (DLE30cc) Has a 20oz tank. but I am forced to stop arobatics at 1/3rd. tank or I will dead stick.
Half a tank is the sweet CG and than a few min. later it starts that miss sound. than its level out and set up for landing.
This is Ok, I just thought why carry an extra 6 oz. of fuel around I can never use.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:17 AM
ES CONTROL

What I am doing now is ,Pulling the tank to check for anything wrong , and Getting fresh 93 octane gas ,  and than resetting carb. 100 RPM on rich side of low and high thro. 
  I pulled the spark plug and it had that tan/yellow look that DLE says i am supposed to have. so I do not think resetting the carb was my problem. But you never know.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:19 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you have a plumbing issue... on two different gas engines i have run out of gas in the air, and both tank were empty
Old 01-10-2012, 11:33 AM
ES CONTROL

Ok  Everything is perfect.

It seems a little bit better. I will not Know till I fly again.     The dead sticks happen after violent maneuvers , and than I hear the power loss . Of course I always point the plane in a down line when this happens .

I have idle down at 1640 RPM. When Off  2500RPM. Do I want to up my RPMs?
Old 01-10-2012, 12:25 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

I agree, I flip and flop a lot and my dead sticks have come back bone dry. Some of the guys are using a poulin chainsaw clunk but thus far I've found no need.

My guess like others is that you have a plumbing problem
Old 01-10-2012, 01:12 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

For the record, the original bladder tanks were used in CL, mainly in combat. They were pen bladders filled with fuel. Now the modern bladders use surgical tubing. Very great method for providing fuel.
The other bladder tanks, use a baby bottle bag inside of a regular tank. All of the air is evacuated when filling fuel. this eliminates the possibility of an air bubble hitting your carb.
Neither of these are needed with a pumped gas engine. And I doubt the materials would work with gas anyway.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:34 PM
ES CONTROL

Ok . Thank you.  

Old 01-10-2012, 03:37 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

Looks just like a intervinus bag you get at the ER...

and there's alot of miss infomation and bull**** in this thread I'd honslty wouldn't take any of it to heart
Old 01-10-2012, 03:39 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ES CONTROL

Ok Everything is perfect.

It seems a little bit better. I will not Know till I fly again. The dead sticks happen after violent maneuvers , and than I hear the power loss . Of course I always point the plane in a down line when this happens .

I have idle down at 1640 RPM. When Off 2500RPM. Do I want to up my RPMs?

when im flying i bump my idle up higher than normal.... when i was learning about gassers(still am) i used to keep my idle as low as possible and i did have a couple of deadsticks while doing violent blenders and flat spins.... not any more

you might want to look into walbro felt clunks... its all i use now on my gassers, they retain fuel in them so there is a less chance of sucking air than a standard clunk

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECHO-OEM-FUE...-/270278937973
Old 01-10-2012, 03:43 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

ALSO you are on the wrong forum for Slick infomation

why don't you go to the right forum rcgroup's and PM KM and ask him i bleave they have the bladder converstation in the addicts thread... with screen shot's and all

the verdict was there's no differance's really and it's just a new way of doing things i beleave