Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Some advise with batteries, etc...

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Some advise with batteries, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 10:26 AM
Fikeies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some advise with batteries, etc...

Hey guys, I'm new to setting up a gasser and have a few questions. I've done some searching around and have come up with so many different opinions that I'm a little confused on setting up my Switches/Batteries.

Pilot Yak 54 w/ DLE 30

Planning on using 6.6 VLIFE battery for ignition but not sure what mAh?
Do I need a voltage regulator for the DLE 30?

Hitec Servo's - want to use at 6.0 Volts

Also thinking of using 6.6V LIFE battery for electronics.
What mAh?
Voltage regulator?

Thinking of using Dual Miracle switch.

If you think any of the above is a mistake or if I am missing something, I'd greatly appreciate the advice.

Thanks

Old 02-22-2012, 11:00 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 354 Likes on 284 Posts
Default RE: Some advise with batteries, etc...

I'm going to tell you my opinion and whats been working for me for oh, several hundred flights on 3 50cc airplanes.

Got to WrongwayRC.com and get a single A123 2200mah pack with dual outputs and an ignition voltage drop down. Run two HD JR switches, one goes to the receiver, one goes to the diode (voltage reducer) and then on to the ignition.

Get an A123 (LiFe) capable charger, I use a CellPro 4S and charge every 4 or 5 flights.

Hitec servos will take the 6.6v w/o a regulator and the diode will drop the output to the ignition down to a safe voltage for the DLE ignition
Old 02-22-2012, 12:07 PM
ThumbSkull
My Feedback: (57)

a123 all around.
Get ahold of Richard at WWRC. He won't steer you wrong.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:36 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

Yep A123..... the duralite one's have a self balanceing borad it's vary nice no need to pull the battery out of your plane and you can charge straight though the switch Jack.... I'm sure there are other manufacturers that have self balancers just that one I've had good luck with . they also have a new Low battary warning on Bord LED now i think..

also consider using the Syssa IEBC : ignition eliminator battery circuit : save some weight . the IEBC will drop A123's down to 5.1Volts at the ignition side. and it's a Kill switch you turn it on and off with your receiver. it also has a Green LED that show's the Ignition's Hot
Old 02-23-2012, 08:20 AM
Fikeies

Thanks for the advise guys, it really helped.  

I talked to Richard at WWRC, (real nice guy by the way)..... He went through all my options and is going to send over a list of all components he recommends.  

One questions for you regarding chargers. I just bought a Hitec X1 (charges A123/Life) last week in anticipation but I probably would have gone with Cellpro if I had known about them.  Do you think its worth returning the Hitec for the Cellpro Multi or should I just stick with the Hitec?

Thanks again
Old 02-23-2012, 08:37 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 354 Likes on 284 Posts

It will work.

I just happen to like the CellPro, you set it to A123 and when you plug in the balance jack it tells you the state of the battery and starts charging.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:11 AM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

I have the cell pro 4S for years, always reliable and tells me charge of pack when first plugged in. I would not hesistate to buy their 10S