Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

3D Plane for DLE 20?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

3D Plane for DLE 20?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 02:40 PM
ThumbSkull
My Feedback: (57)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3D Plane for DLE 20?

ORIGINAL: closetguy

i am surprise no one has mention the OMP Fusion,it has got to be one of the top three planes to fly in 3d or imac,very percise flying plane,no bad habbits that i can find,and it's a ARF.

It's a great flyer but, It's been unavailable for over a year.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:31 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

i know i have one with a ys110 and wanted to get a dle20 for it,but wanted to wait untill they become available again before i drop money for a 20.if they never get in stock again,i won't buy a 20.
OMP says they will be back but how knows,i always thought it was a good seller for them.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Ernie Misner

There aren't any more Fusions to purchase. At one time they had a 47" and a 67" version, kit and ARF....... but no more. The large one was said to be an amazing flyer at both 3D and pattern.

Ernie Misner
Old 05-20-2012, 07:16 AM
octanehuffer

I'm looking into putting a 20 on a Moass 60. Cant stand the glow mess any longer
Old 05-20-2012, 07:39 AM
ThumbSkull

ORIGINAL: octanehuffer

I'm looking into putting a 20 on a Moass 60. Cant stand the glow mess any longer
I will work but the MoJo 65 is a better match. It's because of the touchy low end on the DLE-20.
Right at the throttle position you need for hover and harrier, the 20 is on and off skipping up a thousand or so RPM. The 65 is a bit heavier and you area above this touchy spot.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:29 AM
octanehuffer

I have no problem setting the linkage up and using a throttle curve to cure the DLE. This is the last resort to save the plane.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:48 AM
ThumbSkull

I have no problem setting the linkage up and using a throttle curve to cure the DLE. This is the last resort to save the plane.
That will help some but it won't solve it completely.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:47 AM
octanehuffer

Prop selection will also help. For this plane I'm thinking 18x6. The larger prop will slow the peaky transition by adding mass. But there is no way it can be worse than a DA 170 on 11" headers and Greeves pipes. THAT is peaky. I also just worked out most all of the peak from a DLE 30 while using a JTEC muffler
Old 05-24-2012, 08:06 PM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

octanehuffer, I picked up a Moass 60 used a while back and I'm still kicking around the DLE20. Everyone says the Moass 65 is a better match for the 20cc but I'm like you, I want to give it a try. It looks like the fuse will need modding to get the rear carb to fit properly and the mounting rails opened up a little. Have you started on yours yet? I'd be interested in hearing how you do with your conversion. Thanks, DG
Old 06-05-2012, 06:15 PM
octanehuffer

I'm still trying to sell the YS that was on it. Yes, the rail will need to opened up just a little and the rear opened for the carb. I only have several flights on the plane and absolutely hate the thing. It has been the worst build ever and will have had 3 perfectly good engines on it. Its been a nightmare to balance. If it ever gets done. Would be nice to just get rid of it
Old 06-05-2012, 06:20 PM
EngineDesigner
My Feedback: (5)

OMP fusion is the best nitro plane ever built!!
Old 06-23-2012, 09:41 PM
djmp69

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seriously, get a Funtana 125. Swing a Xoar 17x6.  Motor mounts go all the way top, and to the left of the firewall (your right if you're facing the plane).  Go pull/pull, instead of the rudder servo in the back.  VERY good 3D machine, as well as a bit of a speedster if you want it to be, but floats in like a feather.  Hover, Harriers, Blenders, Walls, it will do it all and will not break the bank.  Hell, I've even done Knife Edge hovers with mine.
Believe it or not, if you put it together right, the plane WILL pull out of hovers (not just lazily slide out of them).

Seriously.

The only thing with that plane, is don't trust the factory job on the landing gear.  Take the 15 minutes to beef up the bottom of the fuse where the landing gear attaches. Mine, it rolled down the runway for about 10 feet after a greased landing, and the gear popped right from under it.  Once I beefed it up, there was little to no weight added, and I've since had 80+ more very exciting flights with it.

To date I only have a vid of one of the first few flights, when the engine wasn't quite broken in yet,  this it it:

http://youtu.be/Aq-tqGK4ASc

Pretty windy day, loose spark plug::  not a whole lot of 3D, but there's a hover or two, flat spins, a blender, some other stuff.  I'm no 3D expert, but maybe it'll give you an idea of the setup?

Hope that helps?
Old 07-06-2012, 06:49 AM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: djmp69

Seriously, get a Funtana 125. Swing a Xoar 17x6. Motor mounts go all the way top, and to the left of the firewall (your right if you're facing the plane). Go pull/pull, instead of the rudder servo in the back. VERY good 3D machine, as well as a bit of a speedster if you want it to be, but floats in like a feather. Hover, Harriers, Blenders, Walls, it will do it all and will not break the bank. Hell, I've even done Knife Edge hovers with mine.
Believe it or not, if you put it together right, the plane WILL pull out of hovers (not just lazily slide out of them).

Seriously.

The only thing with that plane, is don't trust the factory job on the landing gear. Take the 15 minutes to beef up the bottom of the fuse where the landing gear attaches. Mine, it rolled down the runway for about 10 feet after a greased landing, and the gear popped right from under it. Once I beefed it up, there was little to no weight added, and I've since had 80+ more very exciting flights with it.

To date I only have a vid of one of the first few flights, when the engine wasn't quite broken in yet, this it it:

http://youtu.be/Aq-tqGK4ASc

Pretty windy day, loose spark plug:: not a whole lot of 3D, but there's a hover or two, flat spins, a blender, some other stuff. I'm no 3D expert, but maybe it'll give you an idea of the setup?

Hope that helps?
I agree. I have the same setup. Funtana 125, DLE 20, xoar 17x6, and rudder pull-pull in the hatch area. I'm running one 2300mah A123 mounted on the engine box. CG is neutral.

(I also beefed up the landing gear block with some G10)

Not a rocket out of hover, but fantastic all-around 3D plane.... and it's not a plank .

FWIW, I have a Mojo 40, Mojo 60moass and they are on a different 3D level..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85677.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	1779171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19413.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	1779172  
Old 07-08-2012, 06:21 AM
ameyam

Hey, no one replied to the question regarding the Reactor Bipe. I have one ready with the mount drilled for a FS110a. But I did do a temporary install with the DLE20. It balances better with the DLE. With the 110, I have to put the 3200mAh LiFe with the ignition battery and RX below the tank in the front behind the firewall to get it balanced whereas with the DLE, I can put them on the stock position. My Reactor bipe is built with additional reinforcement, so is approx 3.7kg with the Dle20

Ameyam
Old 07-26-2012, 11:28 AM
gade600sdi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the Funtana from Hangar 9.....a cut above Ucan Do. I have one with the DLE20 and its awesome. Flies real slow if you want or fast either way and does any 3D you want. Very light feel to it. Lands like a trainer. Flys nice in wind and calm. Try flying a UCan do in 15mph winds
Old 07-26-2012, 11:30 AM
gade600sdi

Hey, no one replied to the question regarding the Reactor Bipe. I have one ready with the mount drilled for a FS110a. But I did do a temporary install with the DLE20. It balances better with the DLE. With the 110, I have to put the 3200mAh LiFe with the ignition battery and RX below the tank in the front behind the firewall to get it balanced whereas with the DLE, I can put them on the stock position. My Reactor bipe is built with additional reinforcement, so is approx 3.7kg with the Dle20

Too heavy for one thing he said 3D plane. It may be a good combo and good plane not saying that , but not for 3D
Old 07-26-2012, 11:34 AM
gade600sdi

Funtana 125 with DLE 20 Xoar 17-6 never looking back. I have 50cc planes too but this 20cc is a blast to fly and its big so you can see it good, light weight also and floats in like a feather for landing.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:59 PM
JRgraham
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: ameyam

Ameyam
Ilove the reactor bipe! Its a blast!

I have had a lot of engine combos in the thing, OS 110 fs, YS 110 fs, and the dle 20. The DLE 20 is the best combo IMO. It sticks out a bit further and just makes the best balancing.

Ithink really the most of people dont have experience with a bi plane enough. They are a different breed of airplane completely. They handle different, and are usually heavier than anything comparing in a mono. But with some time and feel of the bipe, and some proper mixing, you can do serious 3D just the same as a mono. And, its a Bi Plane! hah

Ijust love biplanes though, too. Maybe the love for the biplane is getting lost little by little with the ages.. who knows.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:59 AM
gade600sdi

Biplanes are great and Im sure the reactor for what it is is a biplane, but for 3d its a joke regardless what Hobbico claims...plus, its monokote[&o]

Old 07-31-2012, 11:49 AM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

hmmmm...I'm no 3D animal, but I found the Reactor bipe on 6S to do 3D just fine. Hovers, poptops, rolling harriers, etc; it was very capable. What people keep forgetting is that this is a 7.5lb plane with over 1000 squares on the wing! It has an excellent wing loading which makes for good 3D. This compares very well to all the current 70-74" 30cc planes, which also have about 1000 sq in on the wing and weigh 10lb+!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

GP Ultimate Bipe is my favorite plane and it does 3D and is very lightly wing loaded. My only complaint is trying to halt a torque roll as the ailerons are not in line with prop thrust.

Here is a video of the Reactor Bipe [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf7FbWx0kb8]click here[/link] It has very low wing loading. It is why I recommended it though I do not own one.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:36 PM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

Countering torque with ailerons was my only issue as well; a really good pilot probably wouldn't have issues, but if I let it get wound up, it would really spin on the prop and get away from me[X(] Dorked in on a wingtip once doing that and broke the lower wing at the outer cabane; repaired it and flew it many more times before a LVC wreck did it in...