Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

3D Hobby Shop 48 EPP foamy Tech help??

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

3D Hobby Shop 48 EPP foamy Tech help??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:36 PM
GizmoMadMax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D Hobby Shop 48 EPP foamy Tech help??

What are your experiences with this plane?

I just picked up this 3D Hobby Shop 48" EPP Yak foamy, and the airfoil is NOT very thick...
And so far AS i am getting used to it, wow, the sucker wants to fall out of the sky...
So far, it seems too bulky for the the THIN airfoil, where i am used to super light flat depron foamy's and LARGE flat foamy's that "float".
Also, i love the Hanger 9 Tribute with it's BIG FAT AIRFOIL.
I also fly the 3dhs Velox 48", and 3Dfoamy.com SuperXtra, YardBird F22 foamy, fancyfoam.com Sbach, and Tiger, & lastly an 80cc Gasser, and many others...
So i am familar with many aircraft, but i need to fly this and see if i can get her to fly like the foamy experience i was looking for...???

Issues
* It wants to literally rock and roll out of the sky, sort of like a brick feeling...
* feels heavy and brick like... a flying rubber tire
* I balanced it per the book at 4.5" CG (although off the sides of the fuse about 4" away from fuse on each side..)
* of coarse folks like Joe Smith and guys & gals who fly like him can make it look flawless and make it look like a dream, but us average life long flyers, hmmm, we have to see if i can make if float and look like a feather with some practice.... not sure, seems bad at the moment, but wanted to ask you all about your thoughts on this one...

So far on 2 test silo flights, i am running the following:
4S 2200 30C Lipo
BP 2820-6 motor that spins a 12x6E = 58oz torque
The plane setup weighs approx 40oz

So, i am thinking if i spend some cash and upgrade the motor and spin a larger prop, that it still may NOT be worth it if this thin airfoil simply defeats the "floaty" foamy effect i was thinking i would get with this nice looking aircraft????

So, lets take a vote:
1. Should i go aheade and purchase the 3dhs 130 gram Omega motor (4.6oz) that can swing a 14x7 prop on a 3s with a 2200 mah 3S (or a 4S 12x6 2200mah ) ???
or
2. go with a Hacker A30-14L V2 motor (5.1oz) that can swing a 14x7 prop with a 2700 mah 3S (or a 4S 12x6 2700mah) ???

For some reason, the hacker website (Aero-model) insists on a 2700mah battery, where the 3dhs Omega only needs a 2200mah battery. Yes, sure you normally get more time with more mah, but, is the Omega motor more efficient in this case, thus not really needed a 2700mah battery ??????????????????

Also, i can NOT find the Omega & Hacker torque specs like every other motor supplier lists, so i have no idea what the torgue ratio is with either of these two. Everyone else publishes the pull torque, but these two fine motor companies, why would they hide it, while all the others publish so that you can really nail down the motor you need?

Thanks again in Advance for the help and experiences you all have had with this aircraft.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:40 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3D Hobby Shop 48 EPP foamy Tech help??

should head over to RCgroup's for this thread