Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Knife Edge Spin Doctor Needed

I have two planes, one of which I can't seem to get to KEspin correctly no matter what I try. (I'm sure I haven't tried everything).

With my Edge, Inail it every time, to the point that the plane is literally spinning on the wing axis with the wing pointing straight down, like a pole is going thru wingtip to wingtipnot the slanted knife edge attitude. And that's at idle. If I throttle up, it just gets faster, tighter, and more exciting (no comments from perverts please).

BUT:

With the Funtana, which is balanced a bit tail heavy (purposely, just like the edge), I can only get it in the slanted knife edge attitude. If I add throttle, it goes into an inverted flat spin. I've also tried going right into it, both idle and with some power, same result. The only way I can seem to get it to somewhat KEspin is to just let it fall, no rudder, full aile and Down Elev. Ialso notice I need to keep more left aile in. With the Edge, I can get the stick damn near neutral for the perfect KE spin.

I know different planes fly differently, but to this extreme? Is there something I'm missing, maybe different setup options for the Funtana, or does the Edge just do it better because its a better tumbler? My rudder rates on both planes in high are
    relatively the same in both planes, but the Funtana has way more relative throw in the elevators. No Rudd/Elev mix on either bird...

Any ideas?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Knife Edge Spin Doctor Needed

thrust help's airframes lay out flat in KE spin's

your funtana does it Have SFG's that might give more rudder authority

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rudder authority would be my guess, but as you say, different planes fly differently
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah I thought about that, but here's the thingI have plenty of rudder authority. The Funtana will KE all day, and even does KE loops, either from a hover or in motion. The rudder is pretty much just shy of touching the elev halves at full throw. Plus, the SFGs only would help the rudder when the air is moving ACROSS their faces, not AT their faces as in the spin. The Edge does it way better with no SFGs, and not at much rudder. Besides, I'd like to learn to do it without the help of any "cheaters" or learn the proper set up (I have an idea my setup is a bit off).

Good point though, thanx!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

KE spins = new engine mounts and motor bearings... especially at full throttle. but they do look cool.
    Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still. -Dale Carnegie

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You dont need full throttle to do KE spins
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Every plane design needs a slightly different input, some will lock in with full elevator/rudder and aileron, most will go flat if you input too much aileron and elevator so the trick is finding the sweet spot, try entering with slightly less than full elevator input. Also, you should have at least 45 degrees of elevator throw to start with, like I said, some require slightly less to maintain it, and same goes for ailerons. There are a few good instructional videos around that explain this.

Lee
    Team EXTREME FLIGHT RC-Team Horizon Hobby-Team Castle Creations-Thunder Power RC-Desert Aircraft