Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Would like to try 3d and wonder if my planes would work?

I have a reactor with a 55ax in it that I have access to ( my brothers he never has flown it much and was involved in an accident so she needs some work). I thought about getting the bipe version since I like it. I think I want to stick to this size plane for nitro since I already have the engine and digital servos and etc.

I also have an electrify extra 330 and flown it a lot but not 3ding it much. It seems to rock the wings a lot getting into Hoover and Harriet maneuvers. I like the bigger edge 540t they have but want to see what you guys think about it first. I want a good electric to fly and a nitro too. I really like gp models and would rather stick with them.

I have been flying RC for over 15 years mostly scale acro type of flying and I'm finally goin to give this 3d thing a shot since a lot at the clubs are into it. I must be honest due to my full scale experience I like representing that with my RCs the most but I'm willing to be open minded and try it out.
    Thanks
    N802KC AT-802A Work
    N66EC Pitts S1-S Fun!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Would like to try 3d and wonder if my planes would work?

brenthampton79

a little confused there, you are looking at too many things simultaneously.

First, the Reactor 46- its a very good airplane to start 3D on a glow with. Depending on what the crash damage is, its going to gain some weight in your condition. The most important thing to do is to reinforce the Landing gear block. I would suggest you take off the canopy, open up the yellow monokote in the open bay below so you can see the LG block- its actually just a ply strip. Knock out the stock blind nuts and reinforce with ply- after a heavy langing in which the gear rotated backward, I actually took some 3mm thick furniture grade play and reinforced it. It gained weignt but I never had problems with the gear subsequently. One thing is for sure, the way it flies, it inspires a lot of confidence. With a dead reliable FS91SII up front, I was able to KE, inverted circuit, rudder rolls etc for the first time while flying this season and was getting to hovering when health problems intervened. I have hovered this airplane before and your 55ax should have similar power, you have a lot more flying experience than me, so I see no issues 3Ding it

Now the electric- that is also a good way to start learning 3D simply because you dont have to worry about the engine quitting. I dont have any idea of the particular airplane though

The Reactor Bipe is also a good airplane for nitro or gas. Remember it has 1100sq.in wing area which is actually more than many 30cc airplanes and it will have no coupling.

Edges tend to be a bit more wild fliers, best to fly one after some more 3d experience

If you want soft mushy 3D, try the UCD line of airplanes from GP

Ameyam
    Preflight check is optional , picking up the pieces is consequential

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Ameyam,

sorry for being confusing I typed the message on my iphone late last night. Sounds like the reactor would be the best then to learn on since I already have it. The reactor didn't pick up much damage from the accident and gain much weight at all.

I have read the electrics are the best way to start out since they are cheaper and easier to mess with. Would the smaller electric reactor be a good plane? What do you mean by the biplane not needing any coupling? I've read that some have their ailerons deflect them upward when going into alpha flight or a harrier to keep from the wings wobbling. I don't really want to crutch myself to much and get dependant on a setup since ive never done that with my other styles of flying.

Again thanks for the help
    N802KC AT-802A Work
    N66EC Pitts S1-S Fun!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not sure regarding the Reactor EP though.

You dont need mixing in the Reactor to avoid wing rock, mine is really heavy now and with the heavier FS91SII upfront, there still isint too much wing rock.

The Bipe wont have roll coupling- it will roll axially and wont require to correct as much in KE and bipes flat spin well as they dont have too much wing to resist the spin. Remember, this is my first Bipe though, I would have been able to tell you better regarding the airplane if I could have flown it in April. A slip-disc problem in the back has intervened and I havent flown since

Ameyam
    Preflight check is optional , picking up the pieces is consequential

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks ameyan,

I understand about injuries due to my full scale crash that left me busted up pretty bad and haven't been able to return back to my seat or fly RC much either lately, I hope you get better soon it's hard to not get back to doing what you enjoy I know but atleast you will be able to it sounds.

Thanks again
    N802KC AT-802A Work
    N66EC Pitts S1-S Fun!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I flew 20 years ago and got back into the hobby in '06 with a GP Nexstar and then the .46 Reactor. The Reactor flies great; trust me however, it is not necessarily the plane to learn 3D with. It will do the maneuvers well, but it will NOT stand up to abuse or crashes. I went thru 3 fuselages and 2 sets of wings learning this...

Here is a great foamy: Crack Yak

and here is a great small electric balsa profile: Sabre 35

Both of these fly very well and will let you do 3D down in close without fear of destroying the plane, especially the EPP Yak. The Sabre is my go to practice plane; it taught me the basics of harrier and hover, especially belly in hovering. I've wrecked it multiple times in a flight with only minor damage...
    Crashing my way to being a better pilot!
    Saito Club# 679

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Cowboy,

I did have a electrifly citabria I was going to play with in our hangar but my brother wrecked it the first time he flew it and totaled. I have another one but haven't got to put it together and was considering getting a yak, edge, or extra version since i figured they would be better for 3d and stuff. We just finished our 100x100 hangar that we keep our cropdusters in last year so I was planning on using it some for some winter indoor flying and planning to have some people from the club come down to have a fly in maybe a sunday or saturday afternoon. Obviously we'll move our Air Tractors and citabria out to play but think it would be fun. However as i said before I've kinda been unable to do much after breaking over 9 major bones in my body, but I'm almost recovered and have had my last surgery about 2 months ago and recooperating from that.
    N802KC AT-802A Work
    N66EC Pitts S1-S Fun!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like the Great Planes stuff, but the planes you're referring to all will suffer major damage in the minor crashes learning 3D entails. I too had the Electrifly Yak 32", but the Depron style foam is very stiff and brittle, resulting in serious damage in small wrecks. The Crack Yak or other similar EPP foam planes are great to learn on, as they are VERY flexible and tuff. Fancy Foam is another good source of great small EPP and Depron foam planes...the 30-34" size planes would be great in the hangar you're talking about 3D HobbyShop also has some great small foam planes.
    Saito Club# 679

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks cowboy I'll check those out. And yes you are right the gp planes arent very durable but it was fun to fly though. Maybe after I get better at 3D I can 3d the gp models
    N802KC AT-802A Work
    N66EC Pitts S1-S Fun!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

None of those planes are real good 3der's
    I'd get a profile or somthing from 3 dhobby shop

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

anything can 3D some better then others the main factor is budget and the flight skill and repair skill ....

why don you check out a PRIMO 60 ? if you want to work on stuff while bouncing off the ground ...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Who makes the primo 60? And what size engine does it need. I was planning on using the reactor since I already have it. I'm pretty proficient at flying RC just haven't really got into 3d. I have done some hovering with my Giles and other planes but they lack the ability to 3d because they are older kits I built and don't have the control authority to really do it well. My Giles I've practiced hovering with some is a gp Giles 202 kit I built but has a 55ax and pretty much will hover at wide open throttle but no reserve to fly out of it like i see most do. I have powered and built most my RC fleet to represent full scale since I was flying a full scale pitts and liked my models to fly closer to what I was doing in the big plane. My brother and I sold the pitts for the time being until I'm able to return to my full scale endeavors after my recovery. However since I've been grounded I have enjoyed flying RC some between surgeries and just thought I'd open my mind and give this 3D stuff an honest try. Guess I'm trying to be more open minded now I realize how short life is and can be. That being said Im kind of wanting to try it out with what I have before I sink some money in it for a good 3D plane. I really appreciate everyones comments and advice.
    N802KC AT-802A Work
    N66EC Pitts S1-S Fun!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

IMHO if 3D flying was going to be easy for you then you would already be doing some with what you have.

So to make learning easy for you you need the easiest 3D flying plane you can buy. Any of the simple Edge style foamy profiles are good. Most importantly you don't get intimidated flying them low and close in which helps with learning.

If you want to go the glow route a Mojo or Ohio Edge with a Saito 82 is a good combo.
    The dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Primos and mojos are profile kits. Very easy to build and very durable. You can get them here. http://www.swanyshouse.com/index.aspx

If you really want an ARF, the Sabre 47 is an excellent choice also for a saito 82 or 55ax. http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/...dy-to-fly.html

Foamies are really good to learn on, but on days with a little more wind, you'll want something a little bigger and that's where the balsa profiles come in.
    PRO BRO #2567

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't think 3d will be easy I was just letting you guys know I have quite a bit of RC experience but never interested myself in 3d. I always thought it was boring to watch but also respected the skills required to do it. And all of my planes will only hover at wide open throttle and weigh way more than a 3d plane does. The reactor I mentioned is my brothers and I've only flew it once and when I did I just did some iac maneuvers with it. The only 3d experience I have really is with some foamies and I really wasn't into the whole 3d thing at all, guess that's why I quit messing with them until my mother in law bought me the citabria to play with in our hangar. I was what most of you guys call a 3d hater due to the fact I wouldn't really try it.

Kje48 I'll check those out I like building kits but arfs are fine to, my brother has an aeroworks prox260 we are going to build for him this fall after I'm back up and going. How would that do for a 3der? We are putting a dle20 on the 60 size. Now my brother is probably more like you guys, he doesn't give two flips about it being a scale model with scale flight characteristics. He always wants light plus a lot of power. Also that being said I like the looks of the aeroworks prox260 orange and blue one and have a is 50sx that needs a home.

Thanks
    N802KC AT-802A Work
    N66EC Pitts S1-S Fun!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Learing 3d isn't real hard if you have the right platform to learn on. You are going to crash, many, many, many times and that's why you need something durible and not be scarred to get down low. IMO lower is better because you don't have far to fall. It's like old school nascar racing. Some ran close to the wall so the damage wouldn't be as bad if they lost it. Maybe just a dented side panel vs. a crushed frontend.

I'm not sure about the Aero260. I have heard it's kinda heavy for it's size. Plus there is no tube in the fuse for dorkability. There are a couple of really good profile kits for the dle 20. I have a sbach 65 from The BalsaStore that is a blast to fly. There is also the mojo 65 from Swany,and the WWRC Sbach.

BalsaStore= http://www.thebalsastore.com/index.p...d=195&Itemid=1

Swany= http://www.swanyshouse.com/mojo65/mojo65.aspx

WWRC= http://www.wrongwayrc.com/WrongWay_20cc_Sbach.html
    PRO BRO #2567

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

+100 "Dorkability" is key to learning 3D...you can get the basics of hovering and such possibly without many wrecks, or slowly learn it "3 mistakes" high, but that will take a looong time. A good, durable plane you can get in close and actually see what it's doing will be a boon to learning
    Saito Club# 679

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok I think I'll get me one of those flex foam type planes to work with it in our hangar while I'm at work and also in the yard at home. I see what you are being low and noticing stuff. Kinda like crop-dusting, you can maintain a much tighter tolerance on your altitude control because one you have to and it's a whole lot more noticeable at about 5-15 ft above the ground versus flying a twin at 22,000. Which also I've learned and noticed some other things that your able to be more accurately because of being able to see because of being so low.
    I think this 3d thing will fun if not anything else just add another skill set to the old toolbox. I see a lot of people criticize the 3d guys a lot but they have never tried it and if they did they really didn't give it an honest chance. I've always respected the people that do it and just kinda said hey man not my thing right now. Like I said I was and still am into the whole scale aerobatic flying and performance. Heck u guys would stone me for what I did to my super decathlon after flying it with a 46ax, I took the ax out and put a 46la in it and actually considered putting my 40la in it. My buddy thought it was nuts but I told him I wanted it to fly more scale. I told him a real super d doesn't hover and don't even get close.
    However I'm going to have fun with this 3d stuff and throw scale out the window and just play! So I think my plan will be get the foamy to start with. Then get one of the profile 3d kits like the mojo 40 is what I'm leaning for. And then top my 3d hangar off with the reactor bipe and put either a good 2 stroke or saito on the front. I'm more of a 2 striker so I'll probably go that route. Then after getting proficient maybe go for a bigger model like a giant reactor or edge or ultimate if I decide to compete. My club ,SEMMA, just had a big 3d contest so that might get me into that. I didn't get to attend due to our business was busy that day and didn't really feel like walking on these crutches that much and being in the heat with a cast on my leg.
    Thanks guys for the help. I'll see if I can get a foamy headed this way tomorrow
    N802KC AT-802A Work
    N66EC Pitts S1-S Fun!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That sounds like a pretty good plan[8D] I like the Reactor series from Great Planes; every one I've had flies very nicely. Had the 48" orange bipe on 6S electric and loved it; lost it to LVC on the batteries I currently have the big Reactor on a DLE55 and love it. It takes a little more work possibly than some of the big "name brand" aerobatic planes, but with a few small changes (carbon wingtube & gear, BEC kill switch on ignition), I have a 15.5 lb 50cc plane that flies awesome! Good luck with the learning process; I love my profiles and they will teach you a LOT...
    Saito Club# 679

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well i just checked out twisted hobbies and kinda digging the model 12, crack pitts. since my wife and I have the full scale plane to build

I'm beginning to think i need an extension on my life to make sure i get all my plans and projects done I already used up one of my nine lives i know but I can still hope
    N802KC AT-802A Work
    N66EC Pitts S1-S Fun!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You cannot go wrong with the Crack Pitts from Twisted Hobbys. I picked one up to learn 3d on and let me tell you its the most fun plane I own and I don't want to fly anything else at all. LOL Very durable and very easy to fix if you happen to damage the foam. I have gotten up the courage to keep it less than 10 feet off the ground most of the time and its bounced on the grass on the parking lot many times and I just pick it up toss it in the air and keep going. Only been flying for about a year and only with the ultra micro planes. So this was a totally new flying experience. Good luck on whatever you decide.

EDIT: added video link of flight from this evening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QCzM8fSvNQ
    Chris

Current Hanger : Parkzone UM t-28, umx beast v1, umx sbach, umx Stryker, Twisted Hobbies Crack Pitts and Extra Slick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

When you are ready for a fuel powered 3d'er. Swanyshouse primo with 20cc gas. Super tough super friendly. Flies real slow with no adverse effect's.
    Robert
    Cub Brotherhood #3\\ Ryan STA Brotherhood #4
    Corsair Brotherhood #56\\ Waco Brotherhood #184

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Trying to fly 3d with the wrong plane is like trying to ski with a boat that only has a trolling motor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hit it! lol, you are very right...
    Saito Club# 679

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks guys im going to get a crack pitts now that ive seen your video and done some more research. Went up to the rc club and one of the fellow members had an aj slick there so I may try that out after I get used to the pitts, I think he has the 51" electric, I think Ill get one those since the power setup would be the same as the edge 540t i originally spoke of. I still think im going to go with the gp reactor bipe for my nitro. However I may still get one of the profile planes to add to the hangar for when I fly with my brother since he's into the profile planes too.

thanks again Ill keep checking out the forum to see what else you guys are up to, im sure i may need some advice on setup too once i get going.
    N802KC AT-802A Work
    N66EC Pitts S1-S Fun!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast