Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

CG for Hanger 9 Katana 50?

I finished my Hanger 9 Katana 50, and it is very tail heavy. It has an OS 46 in it, a 2.2 amp battery and the servos for the rudder are mounted in the back. I have moved the battery to the front, but I still need 15 OUNCES to get it to balance at 4.5 inches back from the leading edge! I have read the build thread here on RCUniverse, but the builder didn't comment much on the CG-just that it was a little tail heavy. I am assuming that it wasn't a problem. So, I am curious.

1. Have other Katana owners had the same problem?

2. Where did the plane balance without any added weight?

Thanks for any input. I am trying to figure out where I went wrong. I can't imagine that this thing needs 15 ounces to balance.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: CG for Hanger 9 Katana 50?

I just won one of these at a club contest, so I will be interested in the responses. Mine will have a four stroke engine (Saito 82, OS 81, or OS 91) so that will help obtain the CG...your 46 is lighter. Adding a pound does sound like way too much. This situation might help me decide on the engine...the heaviest one, haha. Jon
    Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood #01
    Club Saito #707
    P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #97

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I called Hanger 9, and the guy said that it is probably because I didn't use the pull-pull system. I dropped the additional weight down to 12 ounces by glueing some of it on the motor mount. I am also concerned that my OS 46AX is going to be powerful enough, but I think it will be okay. I'll maiden it on Friday. HOpe for the best.

Note to self....USE THE PULL PULL SETUP!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Please disregard my typographical and spellingerrors. I can't type and I pushed the post button before edting.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Update on Katana 50re">
    I originally had an OS 46 with the rudder servo mounted in the back.  It created a very tail heavy bird.  I have since changed to an O.S. .75, and the plane now balances with just a few ounces on the nose.  Before the maiden flight, I reduced the endpoints on the ailerons by about 3/16 of an inch, and similarly reduced the amount of travel on the elevator by about 1/4 inch.  Exponential was set at about 40%.  The first flight went fine!  I am used to flying sport planes, so it felt a bit twitchy.  Also, the landing speed was a little fast. 

For next week, I think that I will change the prop.  I have noticed that a 13X5 works well on this plane.  Also, I am going to increase the expo slightly.  It is a great looking plane, and so gets lots of compliments at the field-like I am the guy who designed it lol.  Anyway, the plane that gave me lots of fits with the CG has worked out to be a good aircraft.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How's it doing with the 75 on there by now? One poster said he put a 20cc on this plane! Pull pull is a great way to go so do try that next time. I wonder if my Saito 125 would be too much.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm curious about where you positioned the battery pack? I have one on my Christmas List but not sure if Santa will have enough budget left over to get me one. I'm planning a Saito 82 or an OS-55AX for it.

Bob
    Club Saito #61 Cub Brotherhood #107
    Spitfire Brotherhood #143
    Kadet Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just finished mine. I have a 2000 flat pack mounted in front of the tank.I'm using a YS 70. It only took 1oz just behind the firewall to balance it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for that information..

Bob
    Club Saito #61 Cub Brotherhood #107
    Spitfire Brotherhood #143
    Kadet Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The battery is about a 1/2 inch away from the firewall.  Also, I now have the O.S. 75 on it and a metal nose cone  I think that the big problem with getting it to balance was a combination of using a .46 motor with the rear mounted servos.  I would say to use the pull-pull setup for sure.  I just got kind of frustrated with it and so went with the servos in the back.  

On the first flight, I felt like it pretty easy to over-control the plane.  It seemed like I put it in a knife edge at every turn.  I decided to reduce the amount of travel on each servo by 1/4 inch and increased the expo.  That worked great.  To slow the down the landing speed, I put a 14X4W prop on it. 

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Keep in mind the YS 70 is lighter than even a .46AX. So you'll definitely want to move it forward in the mount if possible.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

UPDATE: I (actually my son) has flown the Katana a few more times since the last post. We made a few minor changes that have helped to stabilize the plane. This includes putting on the side-force generators and leaning the motor further. The plane is noticeably more stable now and yet maintains an excellent roll rate. I am not sure if it has unlimited vertical, but it climbs straight up to altitude that is above what I am comfortable flying at without much trouble. Slow speed performance with a 14x4W prop is quite good. I tried some other small props, but the 14x4w provided what I thought was the best combination of low end performance and speed. The plane gets up on the mains within 15 yards and a few moments later it's ready to lift off.

The rudder has a lot of authority, so it can veer off during take off if you aren't careful. Landings are fine, but the plane does come down fast once you drop the throttle to idle. It's not a problem. My son rather likes it. My only concern is that the wings are connected to the fuselage with a pair of rather small (not sure about the size) nylon bolts. They tighten down fine but they are just so small that I worry about one of them breaking off in hard loop or some other kind of stressful maneuver.

Anyway, the plane is terrific and it's nice to have a lot of the kinks worked out and just enjoy flying.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great report. I want that plane! The G forces are taken up by the wing tube and not much stress on the wing bolts themselves. Still, nylon bolts there make me a little nervous too. Overtightening them for example could cause a stress fracture. Try taking that bolt down town and see if they can order aluminum bolts! Or you could replace the blind nuts and go to a smaller size in steel.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FWIW, the H9 27% Extra 260 (78" span, 13-15#) uses 1/4X20 nylon bolts- one each- to secure the wings to the fuselage side, and these are more than adequate.

Looking at the Katana manual, it would appear to me that as long as the bolts fit properly in the blind nuts, it won't be a problem. It uses the same exact "system" as the 27% Extra.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I did my wings over the week-end and had a good close look; those nylon "wing" bolts are 4mm, and indeed they appear a bit flimsy. Plus, manipulating them with your fingers, in the confines of that smaller fuselage, will be a bit awkward.

I'm going with 4mm steel bolts, both for the peace of mind and ability to use a ball driver.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi guys
    two weeks ago I got my Katana 50 from Hangar 9 I boudht 6 servos (2 mini 5040 expektrum),(4 6060 expektrum).
    I need help to see wish servo going to the elevero and ruder for this plane.
    my E-mail is gattornov@yahoo.com
    thank you everyone can help me.
    Vincent

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not sure exactly what your question is, but know that this airplane usually comes out tail heavy. If you assemble it per the manual, you will minimize this. I used a relatively heavy engine (OS 91 Surpass, 23 ounces total), and still had to put the battery well forward of the CG to balance the model. That is with the rudder servo amidships with the supplied pull-pull linkage.

I used "normal" servo extensions for the two elevator servos in the tail.

This s a GREAT flying model, but you must pay attention to weight distribution.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thank you
    Vincent Gattorno

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is the wing spar 4.5 inches back from the leading edge ? I would check it from the spar and go from there.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not only is the CG tail heavy but make sure all the hinges are glued good lost my first one on a maden alron came off so number 2 I put better hinges in the ones that came with the plane are crap be carfully and make sure that things are glued in good give all surfaces a good pull befofe each flight .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The kit-supplied hinges on my airplane are fine.