Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

It's Not Hype, New Info VS. Flip 3D 9/22

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

It's Not Hype, New Info VS. Flip 3D 9/22

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 11:12 AM
Scooterpilot
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FUEL

Gentlemen,

I appreciate all the help everyone has provided during the time I built my Hype 3D.

I'm going to run a Synthetic fuel in the motor. Today, the weather is fantastic. It's in the 30's (F) but I'll run two tanks of fuel to dial the motor in, run it a little rich and go for the first flight.

I must admit, this ARF required more time to build than any other ARF I've bought but the quality of the kit is fantastic. The pull/pull installation was a great learning process and I'm looking forward to seeing how this model handles in the air.

Regards,
Chuck
Old 01-04-2004, 01:39 PM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Good luck with the maiden Chuck!
Old 01-04-2004, 06:02 PM
beerman

This raises a question with me as well...I'm running a 20/20 mix all synthetic in my Saitos...is that too high of a nitro content for the West 50? I'm about to mount it and start breaking it in and I've heard lots of differing opinion on fuel for this particular motor.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:05 PM
Scooterpilot

Default MAIDEN FLIGHT

Hi All,

I fired up the 50 T-1 one today and broke it in according to the directions, set the idle on the second tank of fuel and the 15% synthetic CoolPower works great in this engine. BTW, the CG balanced at 173mm right within specifications listed by the manufacture. I didn't have to add any weight at all. Didn't even have to re-located the battery.

All I have to say this is one the sweetest flying models I've ever flown. I've flown the Magic, Simply Magic, U-Can-Do 46 and 60 and none of the above mentioned models can hold a stick to the Hype 3D.

Being this was my maiden flight I was careful for the first five tanks of fuel. Almost a 1/2 gallon later I was amazed at how this model locks into a hover with an APC 13X4W prop, coulping during a knife edge was non-existent, flat spins great and on and on and on.

This model is going to get some major flight time!

This manufacture did a great job with this platform. I hope see to some more of his models in the future. If I knew who to send an email to I'd let him know how pleased I am with the product.

Everyone, thanks for all your help.

Regards,

Chuck
Old 01-04-2004, 09:34 PM
ballistic1
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: MAIDEN FLIGHT

well I am in the final stages of assembly and I hated to do it but I yanked the YS 63 off the flip
and put her on the hype -I think I will put the flip in line for a major overhaul complete with losing the wing tips and
a new covering job.
I have feeling that after reading so much about the hype that the flip might be on the back burner for a while!
Old 01-04-2004, 10:43 PM
YNOT

Let them have the Funtana's and UCD.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:42 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

BTW, the CG balanced at 173mm right within specifications listed by the manufacture. I didn't have to add any weight at all. Didn't even have to re-located the battery.
i was gonna tell you, but i thought i'd let the Hype do that it's self

[email protected] that'll get you old man Greenfield himself, but E-mail in the UK isnt the same as E-mail USA, don't expect instant answers
Tho if i see Choppy tonight ( Hype designer ) you never know he might be down again this week, i'll let him know what you think. I'll also ask about 20% fuels, tho he's probably just say go for it mate. well... more like "if it turns the thing use it"

The Hype came second in the UK freestyle comp BTW, only a Capiche 140 in the expert world class hands of Ali beat it, with another 140 thrid place.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:29 PM
Cactus.

ok boys, the verdict.

Chuck: Told Choppy your thoughts, and Thanks, he's glad you like it. Tho he wasn't surprised

All you others running 15-20% fuels: The T1 is compressed for 10% so shim it, but if your at high alitudes it should be ok

hope that helps.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:17 PM
Johnnylightning

Had a bit of bad luck w/ my 50 T1 over the weekend.

Seems that the conrod retainer came off and lodged itself 'tween the piston and sleeve (see pix). Happened in flight and naturally, forced me to land dead-stik.

I'm assuming that when it initially came loose and lodged itself, the engine continued to run (liner is scored in several locations). Then, it finally seized from lack of compression.

Now the good news. Modelbau-USA (exclusive West, U.S. distributor) is located about 20mins from my home. One phone call and a quick hop, replaced my engine with a brand new one. Great customer service.

I've heard of other incidents w/ the T1. Is this common? If so, should I take the new engine apart and inspect it's integrity?

BTW, when this happened, the engine sounded as if it suddenly had a mild exhaust leak.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47969.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	88064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98359.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	88065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69578.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	88066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn31397.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	88067  
Old 01-05-2004, 05:34 PM
Cactus.

exactly the same thing happened to me, but again new engine no problems. great customer service.
The only other engine i've had it on in my 7 years is a Irvine 36, so it's not a quality thing. to me it's a random problem caused by the use of a circlip ( possibably not installed correctly or fractured if forced in ). Weston have already told Webra off for making the conrods wrong, forcing in the bushing at an angle which then splits the first time you run it ( what happened to my replacement as a batch of these rejects got through in a spares shipment )
i would suggest you E-mail Weston at the E-mail above and describe what happened. if there is a problem it can only be sorted if they know about it. The West range are great engines Weston stand 100% behind them.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:45 PM
beerman

For what it's worth...my other "hobby" is shifter kart racing and we use Honda 125 two stroke engines turning 12500RPMs. The circlip has to be orientated corectly or the forces from the engine and the RPMs can cause the circlip to compress itself and "pop out". The gap needs to be at the top or bottom but not sideways. It's a somewhat common mistake I've seen among new racers who wrench for themselves. It would be a good idea to make sure this is the case before firing the next one as it could be an assembly issue. I literally just received my West for my Hype about an hour ago (was going to go with a Saito .72 but changed my mind) so I'll be cracking it open to verify it's all together correctly.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:57 PM
Squabbler
Banned

AHHHH, good observation, beerman! Makes sense, too. I'll check mine as well. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2004, 08:21 PM
Scooterpilot

Hey Phillbaby,

Thanks for passing the word onto Choppy. I hope he has more ideas planned in the future

About the fuel, that's good to know the motor needs shimmed if I run 15%. Lucky for me I'm at over 2600 feet above sea level so I hope the motor will be ok! Considering I bought a case of 15% CP today and I intend to try to fly the wings of the Hype because the weather forecast for this week looks, very, very, very good. California weather is hard to beat!

BTW, I sent Alan an email tonight with my thoughts. Thanks for the email address.

Regards,

Chuck
Old 01-07-2004, 11:29 PM
Johnnylightning

Well, I too decided to take Beerman's advice and inspect the circlip installation before break-in of engine #2.

Both clips seem to be in Beerman's suggested position and intact except for one small area on each circlip on both sides.

Both clips are perfectly round, except for a small area right before they bend. Is this normal circlip behavior? The indicated area is actually out-of-round and does not seat into the groove. Both clips are identical in this area.

Name:	Zx71124.jpg
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	88654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66782.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	88655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17221.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	88656  
Old 01-08-2004, 01:20 PM
Cactus.

Thanks for passing the word onto Choppy. I hope he has more ideas planned in the future
I thought i had already answered here..... i'm sure i said i KNOW he has more planned, ask me again by the time your ready to move on from your Hype and there might be a new toy about.

i've not seen Circlips bend before that point, it would suggest to me that deflection would aid them coming out on their own. i dont know whats wrong with the OS teflon button myself.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:02 AM
LancelowDowell

Wow, I'm kinda amazed... I got a flight or two in on my Hype last weekend and the coupling in knife edge is horrible... I've checked my elevator and rudder, and everything is square to the wing... the only thing I havn't checked yet is the incidence on the wing, but I don't image it could be too bad. My cg is right about the middle of the suggested range... any other suggestions on what I could check?

edit: Just doing some more thinking, I havn't checked the lateral balance yet either... except I've never heard of a plane that's out of lateral balance affect knife edge. It didn't make a difference which wing I had up either, coupling was just as bad either way.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:43 AM
simon Ka

Philly you seem very well informed about Weston products and what the future holds....you seem to know more than me and I work for them!!!!
Old 01-09-2004, 01:24 PM
Cactus.

well, i ask... sorry annoy Choppy alot

seeing as your here get over to the speed threads, everyones asking about the new Maggers

whats your view on the Circlip thing?

umm the amount of Cougars i've sold to club members and from recomendations when people E-mail me about my site i'd say i work for Weston too, i just don't get the cheques like you do
Old 01-09-2004, 06:34 PM
Johnnylightning

ORIGINAL: LancelowDowell

Wow, I'm kinda amazed... I got a flight or two in on my Hype last weekend and the coupling in knife edge is horrible...
Me too, Lance. Mine pitches violently towards the belly and my CG is at around 170mm. I've tried moving the CG back and forth w/ no luck at all. Harriers are not very stable either. I'm scared to death of this plane.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:12 PM
beerman

All I have left is to mount the receiver and battery, where are y'all sticking the batteries in this beast to start the balancing process?

Nevermind, only one option weight wise.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:38 PM
LancelowDowell

Well, harriers were fine for me... and knife edge picted twords the canopy. It's kinda funny, because in verticle flight, it was fine, no pitching that I could notice. Inverted was slightly to canopy again and needed some down elevator to keep it stable. I'm going to move my cg back a bunch tonight and let it rip tomorrow, see what happens.

Had a couple additions as well tonight, replaced the 225's on elevator and rudder with hitech 645's in hopes to solve some centering problems I had with the 225's. Fixed it for the most part, but it's not centering perfectly. I'd hate to have to drop money on coreless or digital's for this plane when the 645's or 625's could take care of it. I also put some carbon fiber struts on the tail. Just epoxyed them on, nothing special. I also got ski's setup as well, too much snow in michigan to use wheel's anymore... I also put on a mpi charge switch with the indicator lights. Kinda nice because it's all in one unit and it will test the system under a load.

Name:	Tr51898.jpg
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	89150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10968.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	89151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37782.jpg
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	89152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67516.jpg
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	89153  
Old 01-10-2004, 02:44 PM
LancelowDowell

Hmmm, something else I've been finding... on the pull-pull setup, because the cables have a slight bend in them where then enter the fuse, it causes a little bit of play in the elevator. The rudder isn't nearly as bad however.... I believe this is most of the cause of my elevator not centering. I bumped the cg back and got a flight in today, and it's still coupling pretty bad in knife edge flight... so I'm going to check the incedence on the wing and elevator today, make sure they are the same. Hopefully between that and getting the slop in the elevator taken out, I can improve the ke flight. We'll see though.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:15 PM
beerman

This is my first light weight fun fly type model...I hear cases of the tail feathers coming off at too high a speed. How much throttle with the West can these things really handle. Tomorrow is the maiden flight for mine and I am curious how much abuse it can take.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:27 PM
LancelowDowell

Well, I think it can full throttle flight. Just no full power dives. There's really no reason to be going full throttle at level flight anyways... only time you'll really need full throttle is in aerobatic moves.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:15 PM
beerman

That makes great sense. It helps to put some perspective on what it can and can not handle.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.