Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

It's Not Hype, New Info VS. Flip 3D 9/22

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

It's Not Hype, New Info VS. Flip 3D 9/22

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 05:39 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MAIDEN FLIGHT

the new Hype ( Hype Orginial ) has had the tail problems sorted. A bit of bracing cant go amiss tho, some pull pull cable running all the way round should do the trick.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:31 PM
Scooterpilot
My Feedback: (5)

Default Weston 50 T-1 question

Hi All,

In the past when I adjust the idle on my motors I'd pinch the fuel line for 4 seconds and if it would die then it would be good to run. If the motor stopped before 4 seconds I'd fatten up the idle screw unitl it would stop around 4 seconds. Conversely, if the engine run for 8 seconds I lean out the idle screw.

Does the above type of tuning apply to the T-1? I was able to pinch the fuel line for 9 seconds on the T-1 while it was idling before the motor died and that seems like a long, long time. Is the idle way to fat?

Also, when I open the throttle between 40 to 45 % I get a little hesistation. The main needle is set rich but I want to make sure I don't lean the motor too much and damage it and I don't think it's way too rich. For the rest of you who are running the Weston did you have a hesitation at about 40 to 45% while you were breaking it in? Any things I should be looking for?

I'm at 2600 feet ASL so I run CP 15%, 13X4W APC prop, and an OS # 8 glow plug. The motor feels very strong and at this altitude seems to really, really like the CP 15%.

All comments welcome

Chuck
Old 01-12-2004, 03:38 PM
Ian.W

Default RE: Weston 50 T-1 question

14x4w may be too much, i think the 13x4 is the best.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:47 PM
Scooterpilot

I listed the wrong prop it is a 13X4W.

Thanks for information

Chuck
Old 01-12-2004, 09:27 PM
beerman

I was happy working with Modellbau, but there seems to be another distributor stateside if I'm not mistaken here...

http://www.espritmodel.com
Old 01-13-2004, 12:33 PM
Cactus.

the T1 comes perfectly set up. i didnt touch my neddles and it fired frst flick, only after that first run did i lean the main but i never touched the bottom end.
with such a big carb and a low idle the 50 will run forever when you pinch the fuel line. first make sure you've pushed the carb down hard when you put it in, after that just do a tghrottle up test, should be clean. as for the 45% problem, sounds like the bottom is off, but without being there i cant tell you which way. mine never did that
Old 01-13-2004, 02:17 PM
Ian.W

the T1 comes perfectly set up. i didnt touch my neddles and it fired frst flick, only after that first run did i lean the main but i never touched the bottom end.

mine was way out. You must of been lucky
Old 01-13-2004, 06:35 PM
Cactus.

it's factory set using an airline and pressure guage, when the pressures right so's the settings... as Choppy tells me ( gotta watch it just incase Simon knows better )

not a word of a lie, i primed about 5 times, hit the prop and almost shat meself when it fired right up, then i was left wondering what to do next because i wasn't expectiing that.. oh yes, run it in
Old 01-13-2004, 07:44 PM
Scooterpilot

Phill

Thanks for the information

Chuck
Old 01-13-2004, 08:28 PM
Johnnylightning

ORIGINAL: edible_engine

mine was way out. You must of been lucky
Yeah, my first one was way out as well. Had to close it down about 1½ turns before it would idle.

But, I spent about 20min just trying to start the second one. Then, I noticed that the bottom needle was all the way closed. It was literally closed tight.

So, I opened it up about 2 turns and started from there and well, now I've gotta' say that this is one great running motor. I'm liking it more every flight.

Philly, I think you said it before, "it seems to run better every time".
Old 01-14-2004, 06:50 PM
PlaneCrazzy
My Feedback: (27)

I finished my Hype. Having problem with elevator pull=pull. Works properly, but I have alot of slack on one end of the elevator wire when fully deflected. I have them tight like a guiter string and still have the slack. Is this normal ?
Old 01-14-2004, 07:30 PM
beerman

When you say slack on one end, is the slack on the same side (bottom or top) of the elevator on the right and left side, or is the slack on either the right or left side? If it's on the top or bottom of both elevator halves, opposite of the tight wire, I don't think it is as critical as the slack side doesn't effect the throw of the elevator in that direction. Did I explain this to where anyone but me can understand it???
Old 01-15-2004, 03:01 AM
jeanv

Hi,

I am almost finished with my Hype and was wondering if you guys made any thrust adjustments (right, up, down) after a the first few flights.....

Regards
Jean
Old 01-15-2004, 07:06 AM
PlaneCrazzy

Beerman,

The more the throw the more slack I get. When I add full up elevator both pulling wires on top are tight, both bottom have the slack. When full down its the opposite. ??????????????
Old 01-15-2004, 07:44 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: PlaneCrazzy

Beerman,

The more the throw the more slack I get. When I add full up elevator both pulling wires on top are tight, both bottom have the slack. When full down its the opposite. ??????????????

PlaneCrazzy
Your set up is working just the way it should. One set of wires will be tight when pulling and the other will be relaxed. You don"t want the wires as tight as guitar strings! they should be snug but not to tight and as well should be on a servo with ball bearings on the output shaft.

Hi,

I am almost finished with my Hype and was wondering if you guys made any thrust adjustments (right, up, down) after a the first few flights.....

Regards
Jean
Jean
I have not changed the already built-in thrust at all and feels quite neutral in a hover.

HTH
Old 01-15-2004, 08:40 AM
PlaneCrazzy

Stomper,

Thanks for the reply. I was concerned. My knees would be knocking enough on the maidened flight. Can you tell me what are your throws on the high rates ? Also whats your CG ?. I have it at 165mm from the leading edge with my battery up front with the fuel tank. I am running the Weston
Old 01-15-2004, 05:12 PM
Scooterpilot

Hi,

My CG is 173mm from the leading edge. With this CG the model is remarkably stable in flight and very easy to fly and land.

I have the model setup to fly rather docile, so I don't know what the max throws are.

Regards,
Old 01-15-2004, 05:52 PM
Cactus.

damn right its better each time, unfortunatly my circlip jumped ship on that one, and the engine didnt run much the second time before my prototype wing snapped.
the engines been sat doing nothing for 2-3 months now i'm desprate to get the trim finished and get it back in the air.
I'd liken the West 50 to a MVVS, only it's much lighter, more power and runs in much quicker, but it just gets better and better. the V1 engine lasts for a long time at the revs it's doing, i dont expect to wear my T1 out very quickly.
BTW, lots of V1's have been flying here, not a single circlip has commited suicide
Old 01-15-2004, 06:24 PM
Johnnylightning

Philly, have you, or anyone you know, tried the optional ceramic bearings on the T1, or are the specifcally made for the V1?
Old 01-16-2004, 01:22 PM
Cactus.

not tried them no, if i'm right both engines share everything bar the port timing
Old 01-16-2004, 11:16 PM
Scooterpilot

Hi,

I found out that I had the T-1 running too rich at idle and at higher RPM's; thus, causing the hesitation at about 45% throttle. This motor is amazing. I just grab the spinner and flip it and the motor fires right up. THe more it runs the better it gets!

The more I fly this model the more I want to fly it. In the past I've flown nothing but heli's and I must admit, this model is getting as much if not more air time than my heli's. It's the first model airplane that I've found fun to fly. I've radically increased the surface control throws and Hype takes all I give it and it wants more.

Has anyone taken the CG beyond 180mm? If so, how far did you go and how did it affect the flying qualities?

Regards,

Chuck
Old 01-17-2004, 12:32 PM
jeanv

Default Weston 50 T-1 Broken

Hi,

I had the maiden flight on my 3D Hype with the Weston T1 today. Just to let you know that about 5 minutes into the flight I heard an "expensive" noise and the plane was deadstick. On landing we found that the circlip on the piston jumped out. Totally destroyed the piston and sleeve.

I phoned the South African Supplier and the replacement motor is in the mail. Should I open the new one and check to see if everything is ok? I think I saw a similiar incident with this motor somewhere on here?

Never really had a chance to fly the plane....

Regards
Jean
Old 01-17-2004, 12:48 PM
Cactus.

Default RE: Weston 50 T-1 Broken

interesting, Choppy told me that this had happened on 3 engines total inculding mine, so this makes number 4? or is that last one not counted so it's 5? but i forget the number for T1's sold now.
Again as i said above, mail Alan at Weston UK and let him know
Old 01-17-2004, 02:03 PM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

When you guys looked at the piston, did it look like the groove was cut deep enough to retain the clip?
You got me worried about mine.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:04 PM
jeanv

there is three long grooves in the sleeve (top to bottom); as if only one half of the clip jumped out and "machined" the grooves quite deep into the sleeve... Deep enough to loose all compression.

Its UGLY!!!!

Jean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.