Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

DA 170 on standoffs

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

DA 170 on standoffs

Old 01-13-2013, 04:02 PM
bmfer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA 170 on standoffs

Just lookng for options on standoffs for a DA 170. I have a 46% cap that I would like to put a 170 on but there is 1 1/2 diff between the firewall and back of motor mount Im just not sure if it would be ok to make a wood or plastic spacer between the 2. Im sure aluminum standoffs like the ones most widely used are out as the vibration would be bad for sure?????
Old 01-13-2013, 04:56 PM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: DA 170 on standoffs

Contact Kyle Whitley @ Blazeing Star Products. He makes custom engine mounts out of billet alum for alot of the guys flying gassers around here. He is also known as GravyGoodness on FG. Really nice guy to talk with & he can possibly help you out with your mount issue, if not you can pick his brain......Gene
Old 01-13-2013, 05:09 PM
bmfer

I can machine one as I have machines to do it. I just need conformation that it will be ok to do it. The plane does not have the fire wall glued in yet but at its farthest point it's still not long enough.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:45 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

they have soft mounts like" hide " mount.. if worried about viberation.. i think most pepole do not use stand offs on that motor.. they bolt stright to firewall

i could be wrong .. also you might get more results posthing this on FG ... alot more da 170 user's over there .. just saying
Old 01-20-2013, 08:13 AM
orthobird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

you can make plywood mount, or
you can buy a aluminum one from swb, they make it for da 170's

also, probably better to make a wooden one out of ply, laminated with epoxy.  this will dampen the vibration better.