Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Edge 540 w/DLE 55 SETUP HELP!!

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great Planes Edge 540 w/DLE 55 SETUP HELP!!

Old 01-19-2013, 05:28 PM
rcpilotjwg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Edge 540 w/DLE 55 SETUP HELP!!

I have been out of the RC world for the past 10 years or so. I use to fly as a kid and see things have changed a lot with technology. I got back into the sport this past week:-) I just purchased the Great Planes Edge 540 27% ARF from Tower Hobbies. At first, I was going to install the OS Max 1.60 glow engine, but after careful consideration I bought a gas engine. Since the Fuji 433 is not longer made, I substituted and bought a DLE 55 engine!!! I just received the engine yesterday and about to drill the motor mount holes. I wanted to ask a few questions about my setup in hopes someone would know...

The recommedations were a 22x8, 22x10, 23x8 and 23x10 prop. I was thinking that is a bit large and ordered a 20x10W APC aerobatic prop? Good idea or bad? I know the engine is a little larger than the specs call for, so I think a 22-23" prop will be pretty close to the ground.
I was also wondering where I can find a fiber optic kill switch for the DLE55? I am also looking to perhaps hook up a self electric starter on the crankshaft so it will auto start with the flick of a switch on my Futaba computer radio.

I want to hook up a smoke setup and I purchased the Sullivan smoke pump?

These are the issues or should I say questions I want to resolve before I get everything in the air.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. You can call or text me at (973) 229-5252 to discuss if you wish. I would love any help or guidance I can get! Thanks a bunch

I WANT THIS PLANE TO BE THE BEST 3D AIRPLANE :-)
Old 01-20-2013, 06:54 AM
whidbey1
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Great Planes Edge 540 w/DLE 55 SETUP HELP!!

Hello
My favorite prop for the DLE 55 is the Vess 23A, IT Really makes the engine spin up for 3D real well.

A 55cc engine sounds way too much for that airframe, I would think a DLE 30 would be a much better fit, but that is just my two cents.

Good Luck

Bill
Old 01-20-2013, 10:52 AM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

OK engine choice
bad airframe choice if you want this to be a good 3D anything
Get a PAU, EF, Pilot Edge instead =$$$
The GP is way too small, shoulda used the 160 in it or a 30cc
Old 01-20-2013, 12:55 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

DLE 55 IS 23B NOT a ...

also to much motor for to littel plane just compair that edge to pilots edge... its night and a day

but whatever floats your boat i guess if you dont care about wing loading and just want hot roding... should move this thread out of "3d " imo

heres mine
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91044.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1842610  
Old 01-20-2013, 06:04 PM
rcpilotjwg

THe GPEdge 540 calls for a 34-43 gas engine. The Fuji 43 is no longer made and I originally purchased the OSMax 160 but Iwas told it was on the low end of the glow power scale and will not do well as far as hovering and climbing well. Icalled Tower Hobbies and spoke to a few people all of which said the DLE 55 will be a great replacement engine for that plane. The DLEis not much heavier and the hp is 5.5 vs the Fuji 43 with 4.2. Iknow the 1.3 hp difference is quite a bit in the world of RC but it fits very well. Idid not even have to trim the firewall for the wrap around Pitts style muffler Ibought from Tower.

You guys are saying this 55 is too much power for this airplane? What ways are you referring to? Ibeefed up the firewall over the pre-existing tri stock and epoxy resin with fiberglass sheets on the inside and sides of the firewall. I coated that firewall extremely well and this firewall is water/fuel proof in addition to fracture proof with the added support provided by the 30 minute epoxy and fiberglass.

The plane balances fine and Ihave a smoke set on it. I will upload pictures as soon as Iget everything done.

Ihave never done 3D flying and wanted to with this plane? So with the DLE 55, Iam not going to get that with the "over power"

Old 01-20-2013, 06:32 PM
coronabob
My Feedback: (10)

I have the GP Yak of the same series, which is designed for the OS 160 or 43cc gas. I power my Yak with the OS GT33, which gives it unlimited 3D in the hand of a capable pilot. It pulls out of a hover easily and lands like a butterfly.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:45 PM
rcpilotjwg

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBCKA&P=ML

So this is what Ishould get?
Ican return the DLE55 if the OS33 is going to be better and more managable. What is the wingspan of the Yak? What prop are you spinning on the OS33 for enhancing the 3D flight characteristics? Iam getting tired of getting the worng setup, haha. Ijust want this plane to perform well and not rip apart in the air you know?

Can you run a 3 bladed prop on this or will a 2 bladed be sufficent
Old 01-20-2013, 07:10 PM
coronabob

I had looked up the specs of both planes. The Yak has 1138 sq-in, 81" WS. The Edge has 1088 and 78" WS. The Yak is a 0.2 lb heavier on the high end. Mine weighs less than 13.5 lbs vs the spec'd 15.2 max weight.

I get the best performance so far with the new kid on the block Falcon prop, which you can get from justmodelprops dot com. Two bladed props are more efficient as far as I know based on personal experience with props for the DLE 20cc.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:28 PM
rcpilotjwg

What do you mean by "in the hands of a capable pilot?" My ultimate questions is will my GPEdge climb straight of of my hands vertically if Ilet it go? If so, how much throttle with the OS 33? Ireally want to get into hovering and practice working w/ smoke. Ican see how each engine performs and go from there Iguess, but money is tight to buy the setup for each airplane, ya know:-( ?!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:47 PM
nitro wing

hovering is 2% of 3D
you need light wing loading for good 3D... that edge does not have it and with a 55 and smoke it will be a smoking pig and very difficult to learn on, if you have the $$ get a proper 50cc airframe. if not get a lighter smaller more manageable power plant, beefing up that edge is just adding to more and more beef,
beef dont fly well
Trust us, its been a discussion that comes up every month for years...
Old 01-21-2013, 06:29 AM
coronabob

rcpilot,

My Yak goes vertically out of sight hands off at less than full throttle - say 2/3? I am not a very capable 3D pilot even though my fleet is 70% 3D planes. 3D sure keeps me on my toes and my interest for sure.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:51 AM
rcpilotjwg

I guess I am going to sell the DLE 55 and buy the OS 33:-)
Old 01-21-2013, 08:15 AM
nitro wing

the DLE 30 or 35 would be a cheaper, and tested route than the OS, if $ is a concern.
Think of the future
will you want to get into a slightly larger, better flying 50cc plane? then keep the 55 and buy another frame.
OR is that size aircraft satisfactory and stay with a 30-35 gas engine.

Keep in mind that the 50cc planes will require servos that are more costly also, in most cases.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:59 AM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

Here is what the OS33 will do on a modern 3D airframe: [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8YA0bwLaBw]Joe Smith 3DHS 71" Slick[/link]

This plane is probably a good 2+ lbs lighter than your Edge likely will come out at, but I still probably would recommend either the OS or the DLE35 on your GP Edge. Go with a single 2100 LiFe pack and an RcExl BEC ignition kill to eliminate the ignition battery, and no smoke if you want to keep it light. Probably better airframes out there, but you could still have plenty of fun with yours[8D]
Old 01-21-2013, 09:28 AM
rcpilotjwg

I guess I am buying the OS 33 then:-)  What size 3 bladed prop would you recommend for 3D
Old 01-21-2013, 09:43 AM
wyo69cowboy

Not sure on 3 blade props for that engine, but you should have adequate clearance for that size range on your Edge. A 19x8 Xoar would be a good place to start; wood props are a little lighter with faster spoolup than an APC in that size range. I run a Falcon 23x8 carbon on my DLE55, and like it quite a bit better than the Xoar 23x8 I had before...

The other thing that's nice about that OS motor is the quality pitts style muffler; you'll note in that video it is very quiet for a gas muffler. Almost sounds like a canister or pipe to me[8D]. The new DLE35RA & 55RA come with rear exhaust pitts mufflers, but from most accounts, are fairly loud and I have seen several reports of those mufflers falling apart...
Old 01-21-2013, 10:50 AM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

Keep the 55 and get a better airframe, one capable of 3d
Old 01-21-2013, 10:52 AM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

Os can keep their gas engines at those prices. GET A BETTER AIRFRAME FOR THE 55!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:04 AM
iflyrcmodels

I kinda disagree about the airframe being to small for this engine as I have the Great PLanes 27% Extra which sports the same requirements as the Edge 540 and I am running the DLE 50 which is only a lil lighter and I had to add tail weight to balance, more to get cg back, with a carbon fiber 3 blade and performance is only limited by me. The vertical is unlimited and the aircraft will hover at lil less than half throttle and is unlimited in the vertical snaps. Also has no issue with harriers, waterfalls, etc. Plane has prolly 30 flights on it.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:14 AM
iflyrcmodels

was posed to say had to add very little tail weight, lol sorry. And thats with having smoke pump up front. without the pump being ahead of the cg im sure weight wouldnt have been required.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:55 AM
rcpilotjwg

Awesome that is what Iwanted to hear:-) Iam going to give it a try and see how it flys. Iwas on You Tube the other day and saw this video of the GPEdge 540 27% (my exact airplane) with the DLE 55 on board:-) If seems to fly great. Idon't know why he had to cut out the cowling on it becuase Imounted the engine without any problems. Here check out the link and let me know what you think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD-loGRGsBA

From what Iam concerned, there is no such thing as to much power as long as its balanced and does what you want it to do.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:43 PM
wyo69cowboy

It will fly fine as a sport plane; it will have great power in verticals, and probably will do very well in high energy maneuvers like snaps, spins, blenders, etc. It probably will not do very well in slow, high alpha stuff like upright & inverted harriers, rolling harriers, etc, because it is going to have a pretty high wing loading. For example, I fly the GP Reactor with a DLE55; did some liteweight stuff like carbon tube & landing gear, single battery setup, and it weighs 15.5lb before fuel. It has almost 500 square inches more wing area than that Edge, making it fly much "lighter" on the wing. Wing loading and power are key in 3D; one isn't perfect without the right amount of the other.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:31 PM
nitro wing

..like cowboy said and I said already further up..

there is no 3d in that video, if that kinda flying is sufficient then you;ll have fun...
you said you wanted the best 3D capable

Here is an Extreme Flight Edge with a 50cc, this plane is MUCH larger and still has plenty of power on a 50cc and can truly 3D as the aircraft can maintain a light wingloading with that engine. The GP wont be able to do most of the stuff on the video that is slow and low.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1Oy2t4MlKI

..compare that to the vid you posted...
THe GP Edge can barely stay aloft when throttle is reduced, its just being yanked around by the prop
The EF Edge floats and can manouver precisely during full stall flight or anything from there to flat out power passes
You see the difference now? That is light, correct wingloading, pilot skills and a superiour airframe.

Also a 10 pitchW prop is going to make for some weird fast flying I think
The electric start is also a bad idea on this, its not a warbird..
Sorry to sound like a nag, but you have a goal and are going the wrong way about it, doing/ buying everything twice or three time to achieve what you want is expensive and frustrating. Many of us have gone the same route and paid for it.

Put the OS in it or DLE, fly it to its limits, then get a a performance airframe and really enjoy.
What batteries and servos are you going to use??
Old 01-22-2013, 09:55 PM
nitro wing

And a clip featuring a 3DHS Slick 540 piloted by balls and skills and taking advantage of light wingloading on a 100cc airframe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzowQtqOM_I