Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Yak 54 vs 55

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Yak 54 vs 55

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 10:48 AM
ameyam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yak 54 vs 55

Hi,

was advised to post here instead of the Giant Scale forum.

just wanted to know the difference between a Yak 54 and a Yak 55. I want to buy a 30cc type. Case in point,
1) The PilotRC Yak 54 73" 30cc- I am told its the most forgiving of their lot of airplanes. It may also be the most expensive
2) AeroWorks Yak 54 90-120 with a 20cc or 30cc- Can someone give me a comparison of these setups. This airplane is smaller, so will have the higher wing loading with a 30cc but I am told will be to heavy and tail-heavy with the 20cc
3) GoldWing / ArfMfg (Slipstream / TBM / whatever) Yak 55M 30cc. Locally available so will be the cheapest. Looking for videos of this airplane on the web, I could find only Goldwing and not ARFMFG (though they are the same company). Can someone tell me the difference between the two

Ameyam
Old 02-11-2013, 06:34 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Yak 54 vs 55

The 55 has a longer fuse and differnt airfoil its skinner and faster wing

I don't think 55'S Harrier as well as the 54's but the 55's will do high engry stuff and high speed like pop tops and crank shafters with more engry

all said done vary close flying airplanes it's going to boil down the model's vendor and the models Size

see who's flying what at your local feild do your reserach

Personly if i where you i'd try to jump to the 50cc just seems to be alot more yaks around that size , and more ot chose from

nothings wrost then spending alot of money on a airframe that fly's poorly many of the 50cc size ones are already proven
Old 02-11-2013, 07:30 AM
ameyam

Hi,
can you tell me anything regarding the Goldwing /Afrmfg yak 55m?
ameyam
Old 02-11-2013, 09:03 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

even the best yak will fly poorly if not set up and/or using good gear VS a cheaper model, expertly set up with good equipment.
Unless you are competition flying or very advanced you'll likely not appreciate the difference between the brands, designs and set ups.
Goldwing is not as common and dont know their history or parts support. The Pilot is probably a good choice. As Zach said, better choices in the 50cc stuff, but a fully loaded 50cc is alot more $$
Old 02-11-2013, 11:45 PM
ameyam

Well, I cant move a 50cc around. I am not into competition flying, just fly for fun and occassional competition but not seriously. But I want the airplane to be capable of decent 3D.

I was thinking I should get the Aeroworks Yak but it will be $650 landed which really hurts. Still I am willing to consider if it flies with the dle20. I have a 120ax too but I always worry about glow engines deadsticking. Just that the AW Yak gives me more options - I can use the dle 20, dle30 or 120ax- it lies somewhere in between in terms of size.

The Goldwing Yak 55M is $480 landed, so is most enticing. But I wont buy it if its a horrible to fly

The PilotRC Yak is exceptionally good but Tony told me shipping it to me by DHL will cost more than the airplane

So I need to make a decision based on these criteria. Please suggest

Ameyam
Old 02-12-2013, 08:14 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

I've flown 100cc gold wing it was alright ..

really though the 30ccs just haven't been around vary long .. vrs 50cc they are already on like version 3 of the airframe

all i am saying is just be careful i understand cost is alot more in 50cc

here's a though have you looked at the vally view Rc 50CC Slick ? i have flow in its not bad ... its a littel weak strucktor wise for some crazy 3d just dont do full throttel blinders and stuff .

but its only 499 for a good 50cc airframe is that close to what your paying for a 30cc airframe ?

Old 02-12-2013, 08:19 AM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

Don't know what shipping for a 3DHS airframe would be for you, but if you want a good flying, well built, full fuse plane for a DLE20, I've read many times that the Velox is your best bet. It's on sale right now: [link=http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/70-VeloxBlue_p_16184.html]Velox[/link]
Old 02-12-2013, 08:20 AM
nitro wing

why dont you get a peakmodel brand 30cc, fairly cheap, most fly very well and shipping is reasonable. In your part of the world, its worth considering.
I have their 50cc MXS-R. It turned out to be surpisingly well made and flies like a high end plane.
Parts could be an issue.

Havent been on their site in awhile.. pices have climbed alot, 70 inch planes used to be 269$ !!! now 399$ thats right up with most name brands, but shipping may still be super cheap.

http://www.peakmodel.com/index.php?m...ort=20a&page=1
Old 02-12-2013, 08:40 AM
wyo69cowboy

Wow, those Peak planes have REALLY gone up[] I was seriously considering their 30cc Yak myself at one point, but not for that price! Here's another decent 30cc size plane that I've actually flown: [link=http://www.abellhobby.com/x260-p/abx26070.htm]Abell 260[/link]. Nothing spectacular, with flat tail surfaces and typical Chinese hardware, but a decent value and decent flying plane for the price...
Old 02-12-2013, 08:56 AM
ameyam

Hi guys,

Peak models IS goldwing, just rebranded. AXAR models / slip stream / peak models / TBM / Dolphin Co / even Redwing they are all from the same factory. If I get GW here, why should I get from outside

Ameyam
Old 02-12-2013, 09:29 AM
wyo69cowboy

Sounds like your mind is already made up, then...order a GW/Peak/whatever and tell us how it is! Lots of different info out there on the GW planes; they've been carried by many various US vendors for a while. Main issue with them is usually continuity of getting spares: they are sold by one vendor, then discontinued, then someone else sells them in a different scheme, etc...if you can get them locally, then you're probably better off than we are here in the States.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:04 PM
nitro wing

GW is not listing my PM 50cc MXS-R at all. they have a Raven that PM does not have, so not sure if GW is selling PM planes or vice versa..
Some of them look like EG and EH aircraft, surely slighlty different and copied in various ways
Old 02-12-2013, 06:18 PM
ameyam

No, my mind isint made up. Just that the GW Yak is locally available and hence the cheapest. If I find something better, I will pass.

All thos airplanes are made in the same factory and will fly similar. Some manufacturers try to distinguish themselves with colour scheme or accessories

Some guys on FG suggested the 70 Velox for the 20cc. 3DHS couldnt offer good rates for their airplanes to be shipped to India earlier but now they seem to have collaborated with Bongo and can offer sensible rates. I had my eyes on their 72" Extra 330SC for a long time but gave up due to costs earlier. Would you suggest any airplanes from their range?

Ameyam