Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

3 axis Gyro

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

3 axis Gyro

Old 04-01-2013, 07:56 AM
Night Scream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 axis Gyro

Hi everyone:

Well i have had some experience in gyro on a 3d plane.. I already have installed in what i consider to be a pain in the rear extra 330S this plane will snap coming out of loops, and in any manuver no matter what and i've been flying for 20yrs.. it's the only plane i have that constantly did this .. But i bought one of those "el cheapo" gyro's from hobbyking the HB-401B.. and to my surprise suddenly the darn plane is flying just like all my other planes. The plane almost mimics my 30cc mx2.

Any way back to the topic.

I decided i was gonna buy one of those eagletree 3d/2d gyro's i've hear in the forums but no one has them in stock [prior to saturday night ] So i went back to hobby king and bought 2 OrangeRX RX3S 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer V2 they're $18 a piece plus the male to male lead [you have to buy] to see how well it does on the rest of my planes.. Been thinking on trying it out on an edge 540 .60 i got that has an evolution 100 in then ose. It does every 3d manuver i can do and other i still try. [hover,harrier, flat spin] The plane is flawless in all the FAI pattern manuvers and i just do those 3d manuvers to get into a new arear but it still when there is a gust of wind is a bit of a hassle [when i fly its normally 10-20 mph wind ] so thinking of trying it out in that plane first.

Then moving the gyro into my Xtra 260 with a 30DLE side carb in it and Mx2 with a DLE 30 rear card as those 2 are the biggest 3d planes i got right now.. the other's

Now has anyone tried this gyro out before on a 30cc gas airplane before? Any tips?[link=http://www.hobbyking.com/mobile/viewproduct.asp?idproduct=28456&type=&idparentcat=616]Orange RX 3 axis gyro[/link]
Old 04-01-2013, 08:02 AM
ThumbSkull
My Feedback: (57)

Default RE: 3 axis Gyro

Not trying to attack your skill, but this kinda proves that the problem is in your thumbs. A gyro just helps auto-correct.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:50 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: ThumbSkull

Not trying to attack your skill, but this kinda proves that the problem is in your thumbs. A gyro just helps auto-correct.
+ 1
Old 04-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Night Scream

On the plane i have a gyro installed it's only for the rudder and that has helped tremendously..

On my other planes i don't have a gyro and can hover with no problem and do any manuver as long as the wind is less than 15mph and no gusts. [aka fly either at 7am or nightime] With gusts of 20 mph i still try and can succesfully maintain a hover but i can only maintain it for 2 min before i have to get out of it because i'm sticking my thumbs too much into the sticks.

I'm thinking of putting it on first my test plane to see if it helps when the wind is gusting so strong that a lil help will be welcome [hovering and getting slammed with a 20mph gust ain't fun]].. If it doesn't work well then tot he trashbin they would go.. i have no problem with wind conditions for any manuver as long as it's anot a hover.. heck i prefer extremely windy conditions for that.. cause when there's no wind my figures are even more precise.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:05 AM
kunte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another way to put it is, the guys with tenacity, nerve and talent (ohhh and superman reflexes) will learn to fly any model, in any way, any in any conditions.
A below average flyer, with no real ability to progress, will cheat, and find other ways to compensate their lacking skills. Yes, that's what it is cheating, and i am sick and tired of all the **** retorik trying to defend thierselves and their motives.
If a plane wont do what it is suppossed to, take it back to the shop and get your money back.
Lastly, have the gyro crowd, ever considered when they fly someway really cool, and gain recognition, they are exactly the same cheat as an athlete taking drugs.
It's NOT cool to use gyros and it NEVER will be.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:07 AM
oly 9

The last guy is right, no one should use any product with any advanced rech. As a matter of fact I threw out my transmitters and fly by rubbing two stones together. Works well. Thought Id add my op.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:10 AM
kunte

Your petty post shows you are an neanderthal man, go and play with your stones and stop wasting posts here. Gyros are NOT advanced, they are cheats, END OF.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:49 PM
arfwrecker
My Feedback: (12)

thank you oly I dont use gyros thought of playing with the eagle tree to put a industructable foam trainer together for my grandson in dayton ohio since gramps is in california heaven forbid he may be successul with simulator and a little help from technology. anyway what i am saying is read the guys name sais it all just remove the e. and I am facinated how you achived stones control simply incrdible.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:24 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use 2D/3D stabilizer's from Eagle Tree. I love them, they work great. And I don't give a rats azz what anyone else think's about (me) useing them. The key here is I and I and I and I and I I I I I I I I I!

Old 05-12-2013, 04:14 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

Please stop the personal attacks, everyone approaches the hobby differently, if an Eagle Tree or whatever makes them enjoy the hobby because they enjoy tinkering with new gadgets, so be it.

If you don't like them, don't use them in your airplane, but don't belittle those that choose to.

Keep it civil guys, thanks.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:54 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Please stop the personal attacks, everyone approaches the hobby differently, if an Eagle Tree or whatever makes them enjoy the hobby because they enjoy tinkering with new gadgets, so be it.

If you don't like them, don't use them in your airplane, but don't belittle those that choose to.

Keep it civil guys, thanks.

Exactly: This subject has been beaen to death lately.

I do not fly wirh gyros, nor will I ever. This is my personal choise. I am getting fairly good at 3D and every day I go out and fly my goal is to get a little better. I want to improve and I have a hard time doing that if my plane makes corrections for me. That being said, gyros are for some people.

I fly for fun, as do most people. My definition of fun is different than some other peoples.There is nothing wrong with that. If flying with a gyro allows you to have more fun when you fly, or you enjoy it more, then by all means fly with one.

I do not because I choose not to. That does not mean other people should not. This is a hobby and we do it for enjyment, and we do what we enjoy.

Have fun
Scott
Old 06-05-2013, 12:55 PM
motoxxx996
My Feedback: (3)

Does that mean that Curtis Youngblood, Alan Sabo and all those champion heli pilots talentless? They all started with a gyro on their tail... like every other heli pilot in the last 30 years. Now days they run 3 axis gyros on their flybarless birds. And yes they can be flown fbl without a gyro but they all use a 3 axis gyro.

I realize that you guys are talking about planes but times change and technology advances. Are any of the people that are complaining about the use of gyros flying ARF models? Because when I started flying you had to build everything from kits because there were no good ARF's out there, so I thing anyone who fly's an ARF is cheating (I don't really think that by the way). Should we go back to brushed motors and nicads as well? Real pilots change brushes in their motors and don't rely on over powered brushless/lipo set ups...

I don't have a gyro on any of my planes but I do on my helis. If someone wants to use one who cares, good for them if it helps them get more enjoyment out of the hobby. We are supposed to be having fun right?
Old 06-05-2013, 01:02 PM
kunte

Thanks for wasting 2 mins of my time [:'(] Yawnnnnnnnnn

Would you fit a gyro on your motoX to help you land better after jumps (help keep the bike the right angle to the ground, say at any given speed/height) ?

Noooooo coz then you wouldn't be learning to keep the bike at the right angle depending upon the speed, height etc. The gyro would be doing the work for you!

Ohhhhhhhhh and what would you fellow MotoX riders say? Perhaps cheating might come into the equation right?

Old 06-05-2013, 03:16 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No! But your MotoX has new high-tech shock's, and frame, and engine so you can do those MotoX things. So you must be cheating being your utilizing all the new technological advances as opposed to us old guys that raced back before the fancy stuff.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:50 PM
motoxxx996
My Feedback: (3)

Two minutes to read three short paragraphs, well that explains a lot...
Old 06-05-2013, 07:33 PM
phase5
My Feedback: (2)

I am a newby to flying less than 2 years I put an Eagle Tree in  a profile plane, it has help me build a skill set with out crashing as often, started with gains high and steadly reduced them also fly with the gyro off also, useing it as a training aid has helped me, my goal is to be able to everything as smoth flying without it and I'm getting there.  Everyone at our field knows I use it, I do not act like or say that it's all in my fingers, they can tell when it is turned on and turned off  LOL.  It has saved my plane a time or two I'm sure
Old 06-06-2013, 05:03 AM
JRgraham
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: phase5

I am a newby to flying less than 2 years I put an Eagle Tree in a profile plane, it has help me build a skill set with out crashing as often,started with gains high and steadly reduced them also fly with the gyro off also, useing it as a training aid has helped me, my goal is to be able to everything as smoth flying without it and I'm getting there. Everyone at our field knows I use it, I do not act like or say that it's all in my fingers, they can tell when it is turned on and turned off LOL. It has saved my plane a time or two I'm sure
Perfect example of how they can be very beneficial

There are a few.. uh, older(?).. guys in my club that Iwould like to see use these things.. but, until that happens, Iwill just take cover!
Old 06-06-2013, 08:45 AM
kunte

MotoX, you are confusing technology with artificial flying, no matter how good the shocks are on your bike, it wont stop you arse over *** if you get it wrong. With a gyro on your bike, you wouldn't be able to get it wrong, hence the cheating. It's simple. If you had a 5 year old child, and you were learning them to ride a bike, would you fit a gyro to keep it perfectly vertical, of course not, becoz your child would ride around all day for sure, butttttt the second that gyro comes off, your child hits the deck, cozzzzzzzzzz they have not learned. SIMPLE!
Old 06-06-2013, 04:29 PM
JRgraham
My Feedback: (1)

errmm.. is that not what the old mechanical 'training wheels' pretty much do? They seem to help plenty of kids learn to ride.

Anyways, Ithink you are taking this way too seriously, in my opinion. So long as people dont use them in competition where rules forbid it, why should you care if one uses this product..

Seems if there was a way to dial down the sensitivity gradually as you learn (may very well have, Idont know), that would be very similar to training wheels, would it not?
Old 06-07-2013, 01:04 AM
kunte

I wish people would think before they write! Mechanical wheels do NOT keep the bike 90 degrees, they are set at 78-81 degrees either side and this is to prevent the rider tipping over!

Also READ the entries, i have NEVER condoned anyone for using gyros! What i have condoned are two things (again read the posts, there are exceptions for jets and abnormal planes) firstly the fact that for planes (NOT for helicopters - i have to write like a Lawyer because people are so crazy) in most cases a gyro does NOTHING more than a pilot can do. In short it is not a training aid, it is not a help, these are sales pitches which only fools would buy into.
Secondly i am condoning the increasing number of pilots who are buying into this trend. The point about decreasing the gyro as your skill increases, why don't you just give the transmitter and your fingers and of course your inability to learn a chance. Wake up guys, learn to fly. There is a third point actually, possibly the bone bearer, there is an increasing number of pilots who use gyros and deny it! The reason they deny it it becoz they know full well, it is cheating. END OF.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:55 AM
BarracudaHockey

LOL I think you have your condoning and condemning mixed up

Its a hobby, do what makes you happy.

I wish people would think before they write! Mechanical wheels do NOT keep the bike 90 degrees, they are set at 78-81 degrees either side and this is to prevent the rider tipping over!

Also READ the entries, i have NEVER condoned anyone for using gyros! What i have condoned are two things (again read the posts, there are exceptions for jets and abnormal planes) firstly the fact that for planes (NOT for helicopters - i have to write like a Lawyer because people are so crazy) in most cases a gyro does NOTHING more than a pilot can do. In short it is not a training aid, it is not a help, these are sales pitches which only fools would buy into.
Secondly i am condoning the increasing number of pilots who are buying into this trend. The point about decreasing the gyro as your skill increases, why don't you just give the transmitter and your fingers and of course your inability to learn a chance. Wake up guys, learn to fly. There is a third point actually, possibly the bone bearer, there is an increasing number of pilots who use gyros and deny it! The reason they deny it it becoz they know full well, it is cheating. END OF.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:32 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

andrew do you get to review that 3 axies foamy Colton and QQ made ? that use's the same RX as fly barless blade X's ?

Old 06-07-2013, 05:58 AM
BarracudaHockey

Nobody has asked me about doing that one. Right now I'm working on the 1/4 scale Super Cub and the float conversion for that, and a Crack Yak Mini, and I'm supposed to get a Blanik glider, so if they are in a hurry it might have gone to someone else.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:14 PM
phase5
My Feedback: (2)

Kunte I respect your opinion but disagree, I choose to build confidence over planes, this has aided and helped me, I am not depended on it, EXPO ? is that cheating or using technology to aid in the enjoyment of our hobby
Old 08-20-2014, 11:37 PM
mfpage

Originally Posted by acerc
I use 2D/3D stabilizer's from Eagle Tree. I love them, they work great. And I don't give a rats azz what anyone else think's about (me) useing them. The key here is I and I and I and I and I I I I I I I I I!
+1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.