Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Need Help with My 3D Twist

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Need Help with My 3D Twist

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 08:24 AM
hulikner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with My 3D Twist

I have a Hangar 9 Twist 40. I originally had a Saito 82 on it and worked for a while and couldn't get it to do any High Alpha Flying. Thought that maybe it could be the engine is overpowering it. Smallest prop I could get on it without the engine sounding weird was a 14x4W. I then progressed to put a OS 55 AX two stroke on it with a 12x4 prop. Seemed to do better, didn't feel overpowered but would pull out of a hover. I have all the throws set to the 3D setting the book said so I have enough throw.

Now for what its doing, Knife Edge, it pretty much will not do a KE. Dips hard and wants to roll on to its canopy. I think the vert CG may have something to do with this. When I try to do rudder circuits, once I give it rudder and its flat, it almost points the nose straight down. What has me more confused is that it will not harrier for nothing. At idle it will fall out of the sky, but with some throttle it wants to fly instead of stay post stall. I have the CG, with no fuel in it, right on 5 inches back. The furthest back the book says. Ive worked on this forever and haven't gotten it any better.

I don't know if this is where this should be posted but hopefully I got it right. Any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated. I am at a loss for what to do so I am putting it in the hands of the internet

If I left out a key piece of information to help determine the problem, just let me know and I'll fill it in.

Thank you Thank you Thank you,

Hulikner
Old 07-01-2013, 07:17 AM
hulikner

Default RE: Need Help with My 3D Twist

May not be getting any comments because I misled. I know I can correct some KE problems with mixing out the coupling. I mentioned it because it seems too severe to be just coupling. But my main concern is the High Alpha flying inability. Could it be power to weight ratio? Prop size? CG? Any idea would help because I am not getting anywhere with it.

Also, I couldn't find a direct answer on this. When putting the ailerons in the neutral position, do you follow the curvature of the top of the wing that way the ailerons look like they are pointing down some, or put it in the middle the best you can?

Thanks again,
Hulikner
Old 07-01-2013, 07:41 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

you can play with the CG and what not but these airplane just have funky habbits and are not going to be on par with high end planes out on the market if thats what your looking for

u can do does the same thing maybe not as bad becouse the tails a littel longer

but haveing a short coublled airframe with a wide corde wing and littel side area with poor instances .. just gives you these reults also the tail isn't a airfoiled flying tail

i think your just asking for a littel to much , just fly the plane play with cg but you'll never get this thing to 100 %
Old 07-01-2013, 07:42 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

don't get me wrong but the Twist is more of a sport plane.there are things that it just won't do as well as say a true profile or 3d plane.
for a .40 size plane you can't beat a MOJO or any of the Swany's House brand of planes,but they are all kits.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:09 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

jsut fly the plane and half fun .

Old 07-01-2013, 08:30 AM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Although the Twist is marketed as a 3D plane, it's not really a 3D plane. It's just a fun fly plane with oversize control surfaces. Oversize controls surfaces do not automatically transform a sport plane into a 3D plane. Will a Twist hover? Sure! But just because a plane can hover doesn't mean it's a 3D plane. If that were true, then an Eagle 2 would be a 3D plane, which it definitely isn't.

Now that you've figured out that the Twist is a poor 3D plane, you should get a real 3D profile that will truly hover, harrier, knife edge, spin, and tumble like a 3D plane is supposed to do.

You've already got a Saito 82 and an OS 55AX, which are great 3D engines.

If you don't want to build a kit, the Sabre 47 ARF from Value Hobby is a pretty good 3D profile ARF that would be a perfect match to either of those engines. Here's a video of a Sabre 47 ARF with an OS 55AX.

If you're willing to build a 3D profile kit, then there are a lot more choices available to replace the Twist with a true 3D plane.