Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

DO NOT BUY from HobbyKing!

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

DO NOT BUY from HobbyKing!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 07:52 PM
Tluu
My Feedback: (85)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like some of the posters have mentioned, their lipo batteries are great, they've out perform some of the top brands at 1/3 of the price. Before i buy, i would just look at the reviews on that product and make my decision. Sorry to hear that so many people are having problems with their products and services.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:25 PM
CRX Turbines

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

its like harbor freight.. lots of junk but lots of stuff that does well in the shop, There are plenty of sweet spots with Hobby King..
Old 09-18-2013, 08:44 PM
ssrc30

They are really hit and miss but half the fun of the hobby is fixing and rebuilding to suit your needs anyway. You may want a excellent glider, but want certain qualities. If you want excellent glide times, but something that is somewhat aerobatic, don't get a X8 unless you wanna spend time modifying it. Stick with something like a Bixler, they are clones of the Easystar and are very good planes. Just be ready to maybe have to replace some electronics. Like everything on the market, there will always be some duds. Like I said earlier, the shipping rates are the only reason I haven't bought anything substantial from them. Fortunately I have been very lucky to get good products from them. My FPV rig has over 200 hours on it with no problems at all. Sure, it is an Easystar 2, but everything on it came from HK, basically it's a Bixler with a different label, and I am very happy with it.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:06 PM
byrne1157

Since I've been in the hobby, (just finishing my 3rf season) I've bought approximately $1,500.00 worth of batteries, motors, servos, esc's, ubec's, and all manner of small tools and parts. I also bought a Turnigy 9x transmitter, and several 6 and 8 ch rx's. The only thing I had a problem with was a Turnigy wattmeter. It was DOA. I asked them for an RMA to the U.S. warehouse so I wouldn't have to ship it to China. They sent me the requested RMA, with the U.S. Address on it. I shipped it to them, and in 4 days, they refunded my purchase price+ shipping cost. I then bought a Wattsup on ebay. I've had nothing but a great experience with Hobbyking. I bought an Avistar Elite from TH, and after I got it, I found a severe lack of adhesives in the airframe. When I called to report it, the guy said "Don't you have any glue?" So much for customer service.
I have a feeling, that with the relatively low prices I get from Hobbyking, I cannot expect a high level of cs. But, when I spend a lot of my cash with a supposedly reputable dealer here in the U.S., I should get more than "Don't you have any glue?" I also feel that th and maybe a few others can replace items, due to the high prices. There has recently come on the market a line of brushless motors, and esc's that are at least triple the price I pay ordering direct from china. There are radios that are probably made just down the street from the Turnigy factory. What makes them worth hundreds of dollars? A name? I don't think so...
Old 09-18-2013, 09:09 PM
ssrc30

I would rather deal with Hobbyking for CS than another company, like Banana Hobby for example. Cheap prices and bad CS beat high prices and bad CS any day of the week.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:24 AM
bth9318
My Feedback: (24)

Originally Posted by tlandon
There stuff is junk and they don't know the meaning of Customer Service. Long story about warranty return on 3 different items.
Suffice to say, DO NOT BUY FROM THEM>
God here we go again. First off the post above is just no words to describe it I guess waste of space would be best. Hobbyking sucks cry cry cry. No story no usefull information like what he bought so maybe I can decide if I want. To avoid the item.Hobbyking has been around for years we know the stories this isnt even a story. just a
waste of server space. Threads like this should not even be allowed to be started.look where it is under 3d flying. Should be a forum called hk lover vs haters. Its so old moderaters please close these type of threads
Old 09-19-2013, 01:10 AM
cuwaert

It's a gamble, with a bit of luck the stuff is fine and when it's not you can
demonstrate with a picture or video what's wrong and send it back, OK it's expensive
and it takes long but you get you're money on your account.
The stuff, well I never had a high performance servo that was good, not that I
crashed a plane with it but allways little ticks and vibrations, so HP servo's are
sensitive. Lipo's are a gamble too but if you have 2 chances on 3 to have
a good one, you're still better off.
Gas engines are NOK because bearings get loose even those from a DL or DLE and this
is something I never experienced with a DA, 3W, ZDZ.
I had a good brushless(2500W) a bad ESC, 2 good Turnigy LIPO 5s 5Ah, not
once a good HP servo, Glue of all kinds is OK, small parts OK,Durafly Autog
OK with excellent Zippy 1.3Ah,Dlux 10A voltage regulator OK.
It's doing business in very cheap stuff of uncertain or unconsistent quality,
actually western companies buy there components in China. They keep what's good and
throw away the **** without making much fuss about it and because they do it, it means
it's cheaper than buying high consistent quality stuff.
Basicly, you go along with this "filosophy" or you don't.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:38 AM
CRX Turbines

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Remnds me of people that scream about a radio announcer they dont like. That is why there is a dial to select what to listen to, Server space is pennies. The thread is on page one because people put it there..

Originally Posted by bth9318
God here we go again. First off the post above is just no words to describe it I guess waste of space would be best. Hobbyking sucks cry cry cry. No story no usefull information like what he bought so maybe I can decide if I want. To avoid the item.Hobbyking has been around for years we know the stories this isnt even a story. just a
waste of server space. Threads like this should not even be allowed to be started.look where it is under 3d flying. Should be a forum called hk lover vs haters. Its so old moderaters please close these type of threads
Old 09-19-2013, 02:58 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Default 50cc from hobbyking

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Can you please demonstrate how you shop for a 50 cc engine carefully with Hobby King..?
Here's how you do it "YOU DON'T"
Theres plenty of great deals on HK but buying a gasser is risky
Old 09-19-2013, 03:24 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bth9318
I see the thread as good as long as folks are mature about the discussion. One way to look at it is to glean the good from the various posts. I can agree that maybe this thread should be in another catagory, however it is informative. We can learn from other folks experiences and help us make better choices.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:24 AM
chopper52

Just like the Jet guys Waiting for the HK Turbine never going to happen,and if it does someday,I would never buy one from them....
Old 09-19-2013, 06:26 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Our local Hobby Shop (a good one) carries huge amounts of HK products. They order from them constantly. I personally believe HK will grow and spread until all shops have to buy from them to stay in business and compete. I think there could come a day when Tower could be owned buy HK...

Just a prediction, but HK seems to be playing for keeps and long term ...
Old 09-19-2013, 06:41 AM
Microz

90% of the time I just buy batteries from them. I have thought about some of their ESCs, Servos, and Motors though. I usually buy ESCs, Servos, and Motors from valuehobby....batteries too sometimes.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:13 AM
US185Damiani

I have Multiple LiPo's from them and 3 .61 2 strokes and a .91 4 stroke. Every one runs like a rocket.
I have not had one bad thing yet although I do expect there to be issues from time to time.

Buyer Beware is what I say
Old 09-19-2013, 09:01 AM
rrembert

The only time I tried to buy lipo's from them, they took my money and failed to send the battery. It took months and the bank interceding to finally get my money back. To each his own...as for me, I vote with my wallet elsewhere...
Old 09-19-2013, 10:00 AM
ibillwilson

I've been very happy with my Hobby King purchases. Some of the items I've bought weren't that great, but those were the *really* cheap items... like the 3-pack of servos for $10. They worked, which is about the best I can say for them. On the other hand, some items have been absolutely stellar, like the Turnigy SK3 brushless outrunner motors... and while they were still cheap relative to "name-brand" stuff, they were definitely not the cheapest motors that HK had on offer.

The only plane I've purchased from HK was a Bixler (kit version). The only reason I went ahead and purchased it was because of the *huge* number of positive reviews it has received, and it actually has been a great plane for me... including the all the parts I purchased for it from HK. If I had to replace that plane, I'd definitely buy all the parts from HK again... but for the airframe, I'd go to a local shop and buy the Multiplex EasyStar II instead. Why? Because after all costs are accounted for, I wouldn't save that much over buying locally, I'd get to see the plane before I buy it, and I'd be supporting a local shop (which I still frequent for many day-to-day supplies).

Be selective. Research your purchases. Don't scrape the bottom of the barrel. Buy from HK when it makes sense. Don't buy from HK if you think you might need product support. Support your local hobby shop when you can.

My $0.02.

Bill

p.s. I also buy from HeadsUpRC pretty frequently, too. Good prices for components and great service.

Last edited by ibillwilson; 09-19-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:24 AM
tlandon
My Feedback: (15)

HobbyKing sucks. They are bad for the industry, period. Yes, I got suckered by their low prices. My mistake. Won't happen again.
I don't give a crap who you buy from.
Don't Buy From HobbyKing!
Old 09-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

I will buy were I want too....and Hobby King is a GREAT place
Old 09-19-2013, 01:48 PM
pschulte

OOps I just dropped another $250 there. Does that make me a bad person???
Old 09-19-2013, 01:52 PM
carriontrucking
My Feedback: (24)

I purchase all my glue from them and all my 6s lipos but nothing more. anything else is at your own risk
Old 09-19-2013, 02:14 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have yet to provide a single detail of what happened to you. Yet I see a website associated with your account. Again you are telling me who to buy from. Forget it guy, my experience with them is good over 15 or so orders. I buy mostly batteries, but I did just buy a nice plane, I think... Maybe the existence of HK will cause the other major player to lower their prices. There are several major brand named product on the HK site. They keep growing, so you appear to be in the minority. There is a guy at the field that refuses to send them pictures of the defective product. That is not asking too much. The consumer can be just as much of a rat as the supplier. I will happily fly on less money than you. I would say that HK is not for the novice. Do your homework and read the product reviews.

If/when I have a bad experience with them... I will report that too!

Originally Posted by tlandon
HobbyKing sucks. They are bad for the industry, period. Yes, I got suckered by their low prices. My mistake. Won't happen again.
I don't give a crap who you buy from.
Don't Buy From HobbyKing!
Old 09-19-2013, 02:16 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foodstick
I think there could come a day when Tower could be owned buy HK...

Just a prediction, but HK seems to be playing for keeps and long term ...
How many times has Hobby King changed their name?
Old 09-19-2013, 03:09 PM
artman51164

i've been buying from them for 6 yrs....batt, motors, esc etc...... no complaints. no returns.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:15 PM
5skyhawk172

15 orders never had a problem.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:45 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I am not mistaken -Countilaw buys from Hobby King as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.