Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

DO NOT BUY from HobbyKing!

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

DO NOT BUY from HobbyKing!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 05:47 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Dads, I've being to the vette museum. Actually I was there for the inauguration in the national corvette caravan.
great place to live at. Are there good flying fields too?
I'm personal friend of my LHS owner and he tells me exactly your point. Actually he doesn't carry batt bigger than 3S, he can't compete w the net
Old 10-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Dadstousbg, first my handle is dansy.....because of your position I believe that trying to discuss with you would be a waste of my time.....most hobby shop knowledge is actually pretty low, I asked for advise once in a while just for kicks......and they always have it in stock of course its not even close to what I ask for.....I even know shops that are not even able to fly trainers, but hey they can give advise. Now I'm not saying it's your case.

Like I said before HK is good for a lot of modellers that you like or not! Their price is spectacular on most items....yes some are not worth owning but again some stuff in LHS is not worth owning either.....there is also some LHS that buy from HK or the same supplier and resell at much higher price then HK, I'm guessing that you think I should by that stuff from them? I have stocks of part that used when I buy a servo I buy spare and gear set....I have multiple airplane so I'm never in a rush.

I guess the same thing that is said for HK of cutting into the LHS market could be said for Horizon and Towers H.....
Old 10-23-2013, 06:07 PM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I placed an order for a 1300 (3 cell) and a 5,000 6 cell, some cal 12 cilicone cable and servo extensions for Futaba and Lipo/Life charger. This was placed at the us warehouse. Cost delivered $126.00. Placed Wed. 9th, it shipped Friday 11th, arrived here last Friday, the 18th. All items OK, using the charger and loving it. I have the original Astro 109 purchased the year it came out like over 10 years ago. Pair $110.00 at the Wram show. Unfortunately it does not charge LiFe batteries. The HK new charger Accucel to replace the Astro cost $24.00.

That same day I placed an order in their China warehouse. Shipped on Friday, regular mail (lowest price). $16.00 delivered for 10 "Y" connectors, and some Servo extensions. My regular supplier charges a bit less than $6.00 per EACH "Y" harness. You do the math. Will post when they arrive, I would say one more week. I can wait and save $50.00...

Gerry
Old 10-23-2013, 06:35 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

My LHS is staffed by the owner and two very experienced guys. I guess I'm lucky. The other hobby shop in town is famous worldwide because is hughe and have a very large inventory.
I still buy batteries from the King, their prices on big bricks are unbeatable
Old 10-24-2013, 05:23 AM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by lopflyers
My LHS is staffed by the owner and two very experienced guys. I guess I'm lucky. The other hobby shop in town is famous worldwide because is hughe and have a very large inventory.
I still buy batteries from the King, their prices on big bricks are unbeatable
You are very lucky. I used to have a hobby shop 10 minutes from my house. I purchased all my kits there. Even Balsa USA. I liked to have the choice to inspect the merchandise on the sport and if something has a problem, I can ask for another one. The shippers are really not careful with our models...

He decided to close (about 6 years ago). Now I have to cross to NJ where they have a good hobby shop at 45 minutes from my home, or I drive almost an hour to a Great hobby shop. I enjoy going to a hobby shop. But, on SOME things, there are much better choices out there. The cost of the bridges and the gas to go to a hobby shop, for me, make me think twice.

Gerry
Old 10-24-2013, 07:38 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Lop, yes we have a good field in BG.It's just3 miles from the museum. We have 800x50 BT with RV hook-up and shade trees to sit under.

And to Dansy (hope I got it right) I have nothing against HK. They are what they are and I am using one of their chargers. After 30 years of flying and 18 years in retail what i find somewhat sad is the shift from quility to " I want it cheap".This does not apply to HK only but to all.

You made the statment that LHS should lower their profit margin and I'm here to tell you if you want match the net "which I did" the best was 30%. Thats 30 cents on the dollar.
And as far as offering help let me tell you a little about myself. I have flown most all types. I now fly GS gas, I am a turbine holder and a AVP for the AMA and a CD.

All these discount store have their place, but for the new pilot they can cause alot of problems. The new pilot hasn't enough experience yet to buy smart.

Where you spend your money has alot to do with what level you what in the hobby. Somtimes it's smarter to pay the higher price and not have to buy again soon. And you are wrong you and I can have a discussion on the pro's and con's of HK and the like.

And to thos that have a LHS with no knowledge that's why I never hired kids because I wanted to help and used club members if I couldn't be there.

All I ever wanted was to help and watch the new guy progress in the hobby I got so much fun out of. Profit came second. After 30 years and all the changes I seen, I can still sit at the field and enjoy watching people fly no matter what it is. Dennis
Old 10-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Dansy

Dennis all this is irrelevant only your customer can say if its worth the extra $$ to buy from you.....I can't do that since I never been and will never be in your shop!

QUOTE "Where you spend your money has alot to do with what level you what in the hobby" that is quite an assumption/statement on your part.........As far as my flying I'm quite proficient flying from F3P to F3A passing through 3D, Fast wings and Twin EDF 3D airplanes....I'm far from being a beginner.....but this tread was started on HK suck thing.....well they don't but lots LHS do with their high price, you might be one of the exception? Most good flyers I know buy were it's less $ for the exact same thing...doesn't necessary apply to HK but WEB stores in general!
Old 10-24-2013, 09:45 AM
DadsToysBG

Dansy, you seem very defencive on where you buy. I don't want to get into a agrument. I don't tell people where to go. As long as they are know the ins and outs. I do know things in your country cost more then here, but thats not the LHS fault.

HK and other discount stores have their place and I personnally have never bashed or promoted them. I only responded here because you stated that LHS cheated their customers and that sir is not the truth.

As far as visiting me, you can't. After 18 years and being 65 the owner wanted another 5 year contract. I wondered if I could even find the store when I'm 70.

Here is example of what I mean by more expenive. The servo's in one plane cost me $560 ten years ago. Had them rebuilt for $50. thats $610. Divide that be 10 nd you get $61 for the plane or .17 cents a day, now thats a deal. Dennis
Old 10-24-2013, 09:50 AM
DadsToysBG

double post

Last edited by DadsToysBG; 10-24-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:34 AM
Dansy

I'm not defensive....and loss enough time....
Old 10-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Four hobby shops closed in the West Palm Beach area within the past year. I, and many others in this area, rely on the internet sites for everything ... even fuel. Besides being more convenient, there is more of a selection of products, and the prices are better than the local hobby shops that closed. Many times, the hobby shop didn't carry what I needed.

I found many good products at Hobby King.

Last edited by Airplanes400; 10-24-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:37 AM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You know, there is one simple answer to the "no customer service" issue. Buy From An American Company. I have never bought anything from Hobby King and I never will. I have never had a single problem that was not resolved quickly when I have followed this rule.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:52 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Originally Posted by Rob2160
If you don't know your products and don't do enough research you can end up with junk from HK or any other vendor.

I shop very carefully, whether it be with HK or any Hobbystore. I know what I am buying and I know the risks before I pay my money.

If you are smart, you can get bargains from HK. Just read the reviews, don't buy things that have bad reviews, and have a realistic expectation before you buy.

Personally I have 3 years and 139 orders from HK and zero issues. I have 13 HK Helicopters and 3 HK aircraft and about 50 HK Batteries, 4 chargers, over 30 servos, 8 Gyros, 4 Receivers, from HK and not a single problem.

I research each item intensively before any purchase and will not buy anything with a bad review. HK accounts for about 30 % of my overall RC purchases in the past 3 years and so far so good.

There are many items I would never buy from HK, if you know your products you can spot and avoid the junk easily.

Several of my HK helicopters have over 1000 flights without issue and cost me under $60 for the kit and about another $100 worth of components to complete them.

If you want proof just look at my youtube channel here.. http://www.youtube.com/user/Trainboy64

I have documented my experience with RC helicopters from Day 1 in June 2010.

Including some very poor experiences with a Blade 400 and almost giving up on RC helicopters altogether, then discovering I can build something far superior for a fraction of the cost.

35 years in the hobby. since age 14 in 1978.

With or without Hobbyking, this hobby is now more accessible and affordable than it has ever been.

I agree with you 100% Rob, my first 4 channel World Engines Blue Max was $450.00 or so in 1972... I have perhaps 30 orders from HK No Problem, I realize if I have a problem, I'll EAT IT..!! Yum...Yum...
Old 10-24-2013, 05:09 PM
Dansy

+2
Old 10-24-2013, 05:23 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Originally Posted by KaP2011
You know, there is one simple answer to the "no customer service" issue. Buy From An American Company. I have never bought anything from Hobby King and I never will. I have never had a single problem that was not resolved quickly when I have followed this rule.
What American Company..?? One that operates in the US and imports the Chinese stuff and marks it up 200-300% more than Hobby King..?? No thanks. I buy the value and assume all the risks....
Old 10-24-2013, 05:59 PM
DadsToysBG

Here we go again. Talking only price when the thread was started about quility. People want to throw out all these numbers about profit and don't have a clue what it takes to run a business.
Guess what a container cost from china to the us. Start at $5000. Then you have the cost of truck to get it to the wharehouse. Then the cost of the wharehouse and the people on it.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:25 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I don’t understand why people take where they shop so personal that they have to take cheap shots at those who choose to shop someplace other than their favorite. Who cares where one spends their money as long as they are satisfied with their purchase is it anyone else’s business?

I try and fly everything. Some things more successful than others. I’ve compared near identical pieces of equipment from known brands and such as Hobby King. If I am comfortable with the application then that is what I use.

I have compared airframes and for instance the DG 1000 1.63 meter electric sailplane from hobby king to a much more expensive model of exacting wing span. It was 2 times the cost of the Hobby King copy and it was a copy right down to the wing mounting and tip attachments. That’s where the similarities ended. The fit and finish of the high priced version blew the Hobby King copy out of the water. Weight wise it was a fair amount heavier and because of the extra thickness (made up for lack of carbon stiffeners of the expensive one) I could not fit the same capacity battery pack inside. The wing tips on the Hobby King version were so mismatched they sent a second set when I complained which were exactly the same as the first set. I ended up epoxying them in place and sanding them to fit as best I could. The expensive model fit perfectly and just like the full size were removable. I matched the motor and speed controller watt for watt with the Hobby King products. It turned out much heavier with a smaller capacity battery. Performance was not comparable. That being said I still have both and fly both. The Hobby King version fly’s very well just not in the class of the other. It’s like comparing an entry level to an all out competition version. If you are not demanding of the very best the Hobby King version will provide hours of pleasure and entertainment. In the air they both look the same.

I have had half dozen Turnigy chargers. One or two have quit on me no loss for a less than 30 dollar charger. My original Thunderpower still going strong. My Hyperion charger hasn’t missed a beat since I bought it. When I needed more power and wanted to parallel charge 6S 4000 plus lipos I bought a Cell Pro. I have given away all my Hobby King chargers. They worked fine but I out grew them and gave them away. Nothing wrong just the versatility was lacking as my needs grew.

Batteries well I still have most of my original Thunderpower packs (bought before Hobby King became available) still working fine finishing up near 96%. Hobby King packs on the average are a bit larger and heavier than the more expensive brand names. If you’re trying to pack as much punch into a small space this means something. I have puffed the Rhino and Nanotech A Spec by really pushing them where the newer Pulse has not. The Thunderpower just keep on going.

I have bought tons of Hobby King Silicon Wire, connectors EC 5’s and the Deans copies they work every bit as good as the originals. All of my indoor designs are outfitted with Hobby King motors, esc’s, carbon fiber and Rhino batteries.

Know your product, know your requirements and make your choices then live with those choices and quit yer *****ing.

Dennis
Old 10-24-2013, 11:10 PM
crispinchurch

buying from hobbyking is same as buying from ebay sometimes it works sometimes it dont would you try sending something back to a ebay store in china ?
if it something dear then you go to a better name thats more local
Old 10-25-2013, 03:00 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

I wonder what the real need for a local hobby shop is anymore except for something you may need in a rush that day? Any time I have needed something that way, they did not have it so I lost gas and time. Not saying LHS are bad, just wondering.

I don't have any problems with online purchases, nor from HK. As a matter of fact I have taylored my hobby purchases to all be online now. The last time I went to a LHS was just for fun to see what was there and if they had anything that I would even use - they didn't. Online purchases save me gas and time as any hobby shop I drive to is about 45 mins to an hour from me. I can spend that time doing something else that I enjoy. Buying something online takes just minutes.

LHS should be cautious when commenting about quality as they have junk too. Not much is made in the USA any more. Just how much can you find in a local hobby shop that is any higher quality than HK? If you really analyzed this the percentage might suprise you
Old 10-25-2013, 04:03 AM
Muttdog

Originally Posted by Airplanes400
Four hobby shops closed in the West Palm Beach area within the past year. I, and many others in this area, rely on the internet sites for everything ... even fuel. Besides being more convenient, there is more of a selection of products, and the prices are better than the local hobby shops that closed. Many times, the hobby shop didn't carry what I needed.

I found many good products at Hobby King.
Airplanes - I see you are in Boynton and while it's a little far for you, Legend RC in Jupiter is a pretty good LHS. They stock a lot of planes (Mostly horizon brands) and cars. The guys there are pretty knowledgable and they also fly and are good to deal with. Even having a good LHS, I still place orders with HK and of the 13 or so I placed in the last few years, all have been without problems. Some took longer to arrive then expected but other then that no issues. I look at them like harbor freight. Pay attention to the reviews, check other sources for their experiences and purchase accordingly.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:21 AM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

Threads like this are getting so old. I have an Idea, instead of starting a new thread hating on Hobby King why not resurrect one of the thousand old ones.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:18 AM
funnotcrazy

I want to thank Mr Landon for this thread. I have been out of the hobby for 10 or 12 yrs & recently resurrected some planes out of the attic . Now finishing a 1/4 scale I framed up back before I got divorced & dropped out of r/c planes. I have 2 orders now from HK with no problems. My first order was before I found this site or any threads about HK. Proceeding with my country boy caution, I ordered all manner of non-critical parts. Engines? I'll stick with my Saitos. Radios? I'll stay with my Futabas.. BUT - items like a set of full navigation lights, wheels, bomb drop system, a giant scale carbon fiber tailwheel assembly? All this stuff from HK at ridiculous cheap prices? You bet. I was particularly surprised by the tailwheel assembly. Super light and REALLY NICE looking.

This thread has been really informative & amusing. Mr Landons photo is particularly amusing.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:01 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are other mail order shops too. Hobbypartz/Nitroplanes/... is similar with lovers and haters of it. (I am a lov. liker) Hi Engines, China Hobby, Bidproducts, and many others too. Mr. Landon's photo is pretty good. Kind of hard to take him seriously, but entertaining for sure.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:26 AM
ghostofpf1

Long time HK shopper.All I know is Hobby King order number 138 was delivered to my door via UPS from the USA Warehouse in good time.Made the order Sunday night and was shipped Tuesday.Arrived here on Thursday afternoon.3 lipos an esc and motor
I made an order from Tower last week that took just as long so for me anyways HK does as well as Tower in shipping.Never had to use eithers customer service (knocks on wood)

ghost
Old 10-25-2013, 02:50 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FLAPSDOWN
I couldn't agree more. I started in the late 60's and flew pattern in the late 70's early 80's. Engines, tuned pipes, retracts and Proline radios were outrageously expensive. It surprises me how popular RC was. My local clubs were 3 times as large as the clubs today and the summer was filled with activities. Purchasing was limited to the LHS or through magazine ads. An ARF was nothing more than the sound a dog made. At least the magazines had pretty girls on the cover. But enough of the reminiscing.

I'm put off by people who complain about the prices. It's the hobby we chose to participate in and it's not cheap. It's a lot cheaper than it was back in the day. If you want to fly something cheaper, there's always kites.

I don't purchase from Hobby King because I try to support my LHS and then companies based in the United States. I also purchase quality components and often believe you get what you pay for. That's why vintage RC gear flies off the eBay shelf at unbelievable prices. I collect kits and watch them often. My favorite was an original Sig Kadet which sold for $360. Hang on, maybe it is more expensive now.
If I remember also, it took forever to mail order something. Like 6 weeks for delivery. The days of fast shipments by UPS, USPS and Fed X are a fairly recent thing. I remember the first time I placed an order with Tower, and was surprised how fast I could get the order. Tons of things have changed.
I do not order from HK or any of those other big box china distributors. They just have a bad feel to them. Like you have to hold your nose when placing an order. I am not having a problem getting my stuff that I need from other sources.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.