Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

New 60 size U-Can-Do

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

New 60 size U-Can-Do

Old 02-09-2014, 06:21 PM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess they couldn't install the elevator hinges because of the build sequence maybe. Jdan, what servos are you using?
Old 03-14-2014, 07:44 PM
Ernie Misner

I just posted this in the 3D forum: >>> I have the new UCanDo SF and just started the build. It has SFG's that bolt to the wingtips, nothing unusual here. What is odd though is that the SFG's and wingtips are not parallel to the fuselage. The SFG's (and wingtips) point in towards the nose of the airplane quite a bit, maybe more than 5 degrees. What are they thinking? Anyone ever seen SFG's that have tow in like that? Looks like it would cause a lot of drag in straight flight! Ideas anyone? Thanks. >>> Ideas anyone?????
Old 03-15-2014, 03:04 AM
jdan
My Feedback: (1)

I'm using Hitec 645's
Old 03-16-2014, 04:33 PM
autoguns

Originally Posted by Ernie Misner
I just posted this in the 3D forum: >>> I have the new UCanDo SF and just started the build. It has SFG's that bolt to the wingtips, nothing unusual here. What is odd though is that the SFG's and wingtips are not parallel to the fuselage. The SFG's (and wingtips) point in towards the nose of the airplane quite a bit, maybe more than 5 degrees. What are they thinking? Anyone ever seen SFG's that have tow in like that? Looks like it would cause a lot of drag in straight flight! Ideas anyone? Thanks. >>> Ideas anyone?????
My guess is they wanted to have additional lift when flying knife edge. As for the drag , the plane wasn't designed for speed but to be more aerobatic/ acrobatic so I think drag was less of an issue for the designers.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:41 PM
Ernie Misner

Have any of you guys tried it without the SFG's on the wingtips yet? I have been busy with other things and don't have mine finished yet. Had to go with a Dave Brown mount for the Saito 100. BTW, the neck of the tank is mounted high on the tank, so they have solved the problem of the tank centerline not being in line with the carb. And mounting the engine at the odd angle puts the carb right inline with the tank center. Progress has been made. I'm going with HS 645's on ailerons and rudder, and 585's on elevator halves.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:11 AM
jdan

I wonder how that 8oz tank is going to work out. It seems a little small.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:25 PM
Ernie Misner

Will find out. Hopefully it will be okay for flying in close and 3D stuff for 7-8 minutes.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:49 PM
thombrad
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Ernie , I'm interested in Ucando sf , are you in the air yet , if so how goes it ? Was thinking of putting OS 75ax that I have on one , your comments please . Thanks
Old 04-14-2014, 09:01 PM
Ernie Misner

Hi Thom, looks like it is going to be a really, really good flying plane with a fairly light wing loading.... but I'm not in the air yet as I move slow with things. The big one piece wing is gorgeous with a nice thick airfoil for 3D. Gotta tell you it really slowed me down putting a Saito 100 on the nose though. The firewall area is built around using the GP 40-70 size black engine mount and I couldn't squeeze the Saito into that so I went with a Dave Brown (round back) mount and had to re-engineer the mounting bolts location, and increase the blind nut size from the dinky 6-32, to 8-32 size bolts, then reinforce the inside of the firewall area with epoxy/milled glass mixture. You might squeeze the 75AX into that stock mount which would help if it goes okay. The firewall just does not seem to be large enough to go to the GP 120 size motor mount. The 75 is about 5 oz. heavier than the 65 they recommend though so it might take a little weight on the tail. Nice thing about my Saito 100 is that it weighs the same as the 65AX or even a hair less. I got one of the early ARF's and it had a few problems I had to correct. Hopefully they have those bugs sorted out by now. Let us know how it goes!
Old 04-15-2014, 06:31 AM
thombrad
My Feedback: (2)

Thank you , Ernie
Old 05-31-2014, 12:45 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The complete review is now online......
Old 06-30-2014, 02:27 PM
Sween

can someone tell me the size in mm of carb on a 1.20 ax.. I put one on my u can do but thinking perry carb with pump,, what you think
Old 06-30-2014, 10:31 PM
Ernie Misner

You have the new Do SF version with a 120 AX? I'm thinking you have the older 90 size one. Why is the stock carb not working? Tank-center location off from the carb?
Old 07-01-2014, 04:09 PM
Sween

my u can do is the old 60 one , blue white fuse,anyways i put the perry pump on it and im just thinkin the carb would help midrange alittle loads up a little,,i using simtar 16x6 plus i thought it would be cool,, 1.20 ax with out taken off the carb to find out barrel size,, what perry carb 5401 im thinkin the plane flys awsome,,, im getten the sf putting the 75ax on it plus pump too .. plus thank you fro your reply,,
Old 09-12-2014, 05:02 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone tried one with the new OS 15GT?
Old 09-14-2014, 04:15 AM
ameyam

Whats the latest of this airplane? I have a Phoenix Topstar that is very similar but has known issues and needs a full re-cover. Was considering passing it on and buying a UCD SF. How does this airplane fly with a 91FS or 110FS or dle20? Are there any issues with the tailplane folding up?

Ameyam
Old 09-16-2014, 10:22 PM
Ernie Misner

I put the Saito 100 on my SF but got into some other projects and have not maidened it yet.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:13 PM
ameyam

Hi,

anyone had any issues with this airplane, specifically with the tail breaking off or something?

Also, does it take a 20cc?

Ameyam
Old 01-04-2015, 04:09 AM
jdan

No issues with the plane. I'm using a YS 70. Very narrow fuse. doubt if you will get a 20cc in it.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:05 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a You-Can-Do SF together a few months ago and found that one wing panel was crushed at the factory, every single rib except the root and the tip was broken. I fished a pile of broken laser cut parts out of it. Great Planes sent me a new wing. I put a .91 FX on it and had to move things around to hit CG (very aft battery hatch). The plane had a problem and was demolished after only a few flights due to an error in my modifications. But I also found out that my old .91 was very badly worn out. It had no compression and was weak as a puppy

I put another one together but put a new .65 AX on it. To my surprise this one had not one, but two crushed wing panels! Again, every rib except the root and the tip. The local hobby shop had one that he was sending back that had a broken aileron. I swapped an aileron on the broken wing for the one on the good wing and I've been flying the daylights out of it. The .65 is plenty strong for this plane, it fits nicely with the muffler hiding in the tunnel (something neither the stock .75 or .91 muffler will do) and the plane balances with no modifications of any kind. In level flight, half throttle or less is plenty and there's lots of reserve power when you pull into a vertical or a hover.

Check the wings carefully, 3 of the 4 wings we have seen locally have all been broken right out of the box and all packaging was undamaged. It looks like there is a problem at the factory. There are large lightening holes in the ribs. The remaining web in the ribs isn't strong enough for something that they are doing in the handling and/or packing after the wing is covered and they are breaking the web. Obviously it's being damaged after covering since all the parts are inside the wing but before packing since the packing is undamaged.

When you unbox the wing, shake it. If the wing rattles, try to find what is rattling. I was able to find broken rib parts and fish them out of the servo bays on 2 of the 4 wings (again, the 3rd damaged wing had a broken aileron, not ribs). Squeeze each rib to make sure the web isn't broken and it still has some vertical strength. Inspect the two ribs on each side of the servo holes with a flashlight. In all 3 crushed panels, you could see broken ribs on either side of the servo mount. Do not accept a wing with crushed ribs or broken parts rattling around in it. Great Planes will make good in a hurry with a new wing. And don't make the mistake I did of discovering the problem after you're finished construction, check the wing before you start assembly.

But the plane is lots of fun when you finally put one together that isn't broken. I'm glad I tried again. It's unfortunate that there are so many broken wings out there and really unfortunate that I destroyed one due to my own mistake.

As for what I did wrong on the first one, Let's just say it was stupid and let me keep it to myself. Anything you modify is your own responsibility.

Dave

Last edited by dbacque; 01-04-2015 at 07:10 PM.