Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Seagull Edge 540 60 - what engine?

Hi guys,

After doing a lot of reading here I thought it was time to sign up. Great forum

I have a dilemma I'm hoping you guys can help me with. I'm building a Seagull Edge 540 60 size (68" span) for 3D flight but can't decide on what engine to run.

Short list is:

Saito FA-125a
    OS 120FS pumped
    OS 120FS non pumped
    ASP 120FS
    ASP 180FS

The Saito I know is the lightest with best power to weight (but also most expensive). Also, the lightweight may required additional weight on the nose to balance the aircraft correctly?

Not sure of the difference between OS pumped and non pumped in real world use. How are they for 3D flight? Does the pump give good consistency in all attitudes? They are also heavier than the Saito which could be of concern.

The ASP's are well priced but how suitable are they for 3D? How good is throttle response? Do I go with the 120 or 180 (180 has same footprint of 120 but there is a weight penalty of 100g or so).

I welcome your thoughts.

Thanks

Pete

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Pete, IMO all the listed engines are overkill. That airplane is very close to the Goldgerg Extra and Aeroworks 60-90 Edge, I have flown those both with OS 108 engines and they had great power to weight. The OS was heavy for its displacement. You may want to look for a YS 91 or 110. They are pumped engines so you can put the tank at CG and provide the best power to weight. They do have an undeserved reputation of being difficult to tune. They are different and you need to take the time to learn them. There is a weath of YS knowledge in the Scale racing forum here on RCU.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    DLE 20

PLANE IS NOT A 3d plane , just enjoy the sport flyer it really is ..

you can force some 3d but it's just not ... I.E you can 3D a trainer ... just covering this for the pepole who'm are going to argue it's a 3D plane its a vary poor 3d bird at best but it's fun never the less enjoy
    Last edited by zacharyR; 02-14-2014 at 11:51 AM.