3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Seagull Edge 540 60 - what engine?

Old 02-09-2014, 08:16 AM
Peter Gray

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Seagull Edge 540 60 - what engine?

Hi guys,

After doing a lot of reading here I thought it was time to sign up. Great forum

I have a dilemma I'm hoping you guys can help me with. I'm building a Seagull Edge 540 60 size (68" span) for 3D flight but can't decide on what engine to run.

Short list is:

Saito FA-125a
OS 120FS pumped
OS 120FS non pumped
ASP 120FS
ASP 180FS

The Saito I know is the lightest with best power to weight (but also most expensive). Also, the lightweight may required additional weight on the nose to balance the aircraft correctly?

Not sure of the difference between OS pumped and non pumped in real world use. How are they for 3D flight? Does the pump give good consistency in all attitudes? They are also heavier than the Saito which could be of concern.

The ASP's are well priced but how suitable are they for 3D? How good is throttle response? Do I go with the 120 or 180 (180 has same footprint of 120 but there is a weight penalty of 100g or so).

I welcome your thoughts.

Thanks

Pete
Old 02-09-2014, 08:37 AM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pete, IMO all the listed engines are overkill. That airplane is very close to the Goldgerg Extra and Aeroworks 60-90 Edge, I have flown those both with OS 108 engines and they had great power to weight. The OS was heavy for its displacement. You may want to look for a YS 91 or 110. They are pumped engines so you can put the tank at CG and provide the best power to weight. They do have an undeserved reputation of being difficult to tune. They are different and you need to take the time to learn them. There is a weath of YS knowledge in the Scale racing forum here on RCU.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:48 AM
zacharyR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

DLE 20

PLANE IS NOT A 3d plane , just enjoy the sport flyer it really is ..

you can force some 3d but it's just not ... I.E you can 3D a trainer ... just covering this for the pepole who'm are going to argue it's a 3D plane its a vary poor 3d bird at best but it's fun never the less enjoy

Last edited by zacharyR; 02-14-2014 at 10:51 AM.

Search this Thread