Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Considering a new plane

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Considering a new plane

Old 05-23-2014, 04:09 AM
victorzamora

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a new plane

Firstly, let me re-introduce myself. I've been a member here for a while, but have become a lot less active in the past few years. I was in college and designing, building, and flying airplanes for class, as an extra-curricular activity, for research, and as a job in the summers. I graduated with an Aerospace Engineering degree slightly burned out of airplanes, and I was definitely not interested in spending what little free time I had on MORE planes. I've been out for a year exactly, have a job, moved to Greenville, SC. My wife and I decided to go to Joe Nall last weekend because of the proximity. Well, we left with two little planes and three little quadcopters and it renewed my love for the hobby. It also reminded me how much I love 3D and how much I need to get back into it. I have an 88" EF Edge at my parent's house (4 hours away) but have no way to haul it around here. Now, I'm looking for a smaller, electric 3D plane option to keep my thumbs busy. Cave diving has become my main hobby, so I'm trying to keep it small and cheap(ish).....but I need suggestions.

So....as the title says, I'm considering a new plane. I want to be talked into one. I've been looking at the EF 48" stuff and the 3DHS stuff up to 51".....and the prices aren't that much higher than the really cheap ones (like SDSHobby, etc). I'm okay with whatever, but have been burned before and have no interest in wasting money. I want a little 3D monster to huck around. Any thoughts?
Old 05-23-2014, 10:03 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

I like the 48 edge
Old 05-25-2014, 10:05 AM
victorzamora

What setup are you using on your Edge?
Old 05-25-2014, 08:56 PM
daffydd

HI from perth western australia . A plane i love is the carbon yak 54 by e-flite . Small enough to transport in car ;the wings can be removed if needed . Will do any 3d ;great fun to fly ;slows down with minimum stall habits ,keep power on till touch down . Easy to repair .Fuse is weak behind TE carbon renforce with carbon fiber plates .Older versions had issues with servos , donot know about lattest yak 54 [red white and gold colour scheme ] Hope e-flite has got on to it . ALL IN ALL A GREAT PLANE
Old 05-27-2014, 07:02 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ONE single word: AddictionX http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...ls.php?pid=635

get the CF vortex generators, the motor and the prop for sure. UNBELIEVABLE performance, and uses (2) 3S 2200 lipos.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	10.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	3.47 MB
ID:	1998832  
Old 05-27-2014, 10:27 AM
victorzamora

daffydd, I've seen the Carbon Yak fly and I wasn't impressed. It flew far too much like a foamy for my taste. If I wanted a foamy, I'd be going to a dedicated flat profile foamy and I'd go all-out with (probably) a 16oz outdoor foamy and a 5oz indoor foamy. I'm looking for something that flies more like the big boys as that's what I've got and that's what I'm practicing for.

Jim: Same goes for the AddictionX. I saw one fly at Nall right before (after?) they were released and, while impressive, they seem to fly too much like a foamy for my taste. Of course, I haven't flown one yet so I can't say for sure, but I've seen a few flying and they all seemed too light for the style of flying I want to accomplish. However, PA's full-fuse planes do require some consideration as I had all but ignored them due to the AddictionX.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:56 PM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed, the addiction series (all 3 versions) fly very VERY light.
good luck in whatever you decide, just make sure to get out and go fly
Old 06-29-2014, 12:25 PM
low and fast

I may be to late but just wanted to put my two cents worth in
i have two planes in the size your looking for, the 3dhs slick 51 and the extreme flight mxs 48.
The aj slick is slightly bigger and flies more like a bigger plane but still tumbles and spins very well.
the mxs likes to move and takes all the abuse you can trow at it.
Both plane are setup for 4 cell 2200 mah for about 5 min flights.
As far as user friendly design i have to give the nod to the mxs.
the battery tray in the slick is just a pain to get to and it is hard to find a spot for the receiver.
also the overall quality of the mxs is just a little better.
for example the cowl on the slick is very thin and actually was cracked right out of the box.
you will be happy with both planes as far as 3d capability i just feel that the mxs has a slight edge over the slick as far as design