Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Need a beginner 3D plane which can handle GoPro

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Need a beginner 3D plane which can handle GoPro

Old 10-18-2014, 09:01 PM
draku007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a beginner 3D plane which can handle GoPro

I've been looking at RC planes for about 2 years and I have narrowed down my search to 3D. Now after getting GoPro camera I'm ready to pull the trigger and get a plane that can do 3D and will manage to do so with a GoPro mounted to it.

I know there are many threads in this topic but I couldn't find the one with the GoPro twist and need to make sure I get enough power for the extra weight.

There are also many discussions about the radio and how important it is. I would rather pay more and get product I'll be happy with then save few bucks and regret it very soon.

I have no preference in electric or nitro planes as long as the 3D + GoPro requirement is met (but I think I would prefer non-electric). Ideally I would just buy a fly-ready setup but I'm pretty handy and can put stuff together if needed. Just don't want this to become too big of a project.

I'm thinking of budget up to $300.

I think I covered everything above and look forward for some tips that will point me to the right directions.

Thanks.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:32 AM
McCrazy

Your $300 budget can get you a 20-30cc sized 3d plane but it will not cover a powerplant, receiver, or servos. The weight of the GoPro would be an issue for such a small plane if you want acrobatic ability. Stepping up to a larger plane would help but would destroy your budget and be a lot of plane for a beginner. Upping your budget and/or reducing the camera to a keyfob camera would help a lot.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:57 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with McCrazy, but wish to add to it.
If I am reading the original post correctly this is to be your first RC aircraft. If so, this is a bad idea. Get yourself a trainer and instructor, join a local club, and learn to fly first. Move up to 3D when you are comfortable flying basic stunts.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:07 AM
McCrazy

I agree that 3d is not the way to start in RC. However as long as you keep the control throws low to start, the low wingloading of a 3d plane may make for a decent trainer. It would not have the self-leveling of a high-wing trainer with a lot of dihedral but I never liked that about my trainer anyways.

Last edited by McCrazy; 11-13-2014 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:53 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all if you are looking for any kind of image quality you need to go electric. Being able to shut off and glide will give you good pics.

Secondly as other have said if this is your first or second plane a 3D monster will have a short life.

This will be easy to fly with an instructor on hand and carry a GoPro with ease. http://www.hobbyexpress.com/6_foot_t...34835_prd1.htm

But you are going to have to find more dollars.