Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 Katana 50

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Hanger 9 Katana 50

Old 10-27-2014, 05:39 PM
Sky Surfer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hanger 9 Katana 50

Hey all,
I've got a YS 110 and I'm thinking of getting a Hanger 9 Katana 50. Would the two be a good match?
Old 11-02-2014, 09:38 AM
JoeyCoates

I had one years back with an OS55ax on it, hovered at 1/2 throttle. While a YS110 will probably work it will be waayyy overpowered. You will most likely need to add weight to the rear end as well, with the 55ax it balanced perfectly. It was a very nice flying plane however, I got too low and eventually stuffed it. It was replaced with a Reactor and to be honest I liked the way the Katana flew better. It was a bit harder to hover due to the ailerons not starting right next to the fuse so not as much airflow from the prop, but it was a very forgiving and nice flying airplane.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:04 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That YS is far too much power for the Katana. This model is very lightly built (which is one reason why it flies so well). I have an OS 91 Surpass on mine.

Aside from potential balance issues mentioned earlier, IMO the great amount of extra power and vibration the YS has will measurably shorten the airframe's usable life. And seeing as the kit has been out of print for going on two years now, if you have one NIB it will be almost irreplaceable.

Personally, I have always been mystified why Horizon dropped it so quickly. You won't find anyone who has owned and flown one to have a bad word to say about it. Generally, the big firms drop something due to slow sales; the Katana was a bit pricey, so perhaps the HobbyKing crowd killed it.

I have an extra one, NIB, on the shelf in my shop. Its already-assembled-and-flying cousin is one of two glow models I kept after going electric. If/when I get the urge to fly glow again, it will definitely get first billing.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:34 AM
jdan
My Feedback: (1)

I have a YS70 in mine. Great combination. I have about 10 flights on it. Love the plane. Maybe some other mfg. will pick it up