Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

advice 35cc gas recomendations

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

advice 35cc gas recomendations

Old 01-22-2015, 05:08 AM
scottad
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool advice 35cc gas recomendations

Would like some advice, I think I'm going to take my glow1.20 size airplane, which currently has a OS160 glow in it and convert to gas. looks like the DLE35ra and the DA35 shouldn't add hardly any weight if my math is correct.
Of course price has me looking pretty hard at the DLE. I haven't bought a gas engine for 7 years and all my other gassers are 50cc size.
Anyway I know there some other manufacturers most of which I've never heard of. Just would like some real world experience on decent 35cc motors?
Appreciate your input
Old 01-22-2015, 06:09 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had good luck with the very powerful PTE36R engine(rear carb/rear exhaust) and the Evolution 33GX (front carb/wrap-around pitts).
The PTE seems to be hard to find now though.
I have spoke with some folks running the AGM30 and it is good running budget engine sharing parts with the DLE30
Old 01-22-2015, 07:14 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

I have both the DLE-35 and the DA-35 on planes. Both are excellent engines, however one stands out above the rest and that is the DA engine, if you can swallow the price it is a great engine and a power house. It is a matter of how deep you're willing to reach in your wallet.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:51 AM
scottad

My 50cc motors I'm running I'm mixing 100 to 1 synthetic, I notice the DLE recommends 30 to 1? I have read on these economy motors you shouldnt run 100 to 1. What do you use?
Old 01-22-2015, 10:30 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

I would never run 100:1. Horizon does not recommend that oil and mixture for their engines either. I use Klotz and 100LL and mix either 20 ,30 or 40 to 1 depending on the engine.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:31 AM
VincentJ

I personally wouldn't run 100:1 on anything, but on my DLE and DA I am running a 32:1 mix (I think with Penzoil) . As soon as I've completed the remaining mixed fuel that I have, I will be changing to Red-line oil @ 40:1.

Last edited by VincentJ; 01-24-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:24 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 341 Likes on 273 Posts

Yea, I'd never run 100:1 nor would I ever run the Amsoil thats supposed to run at that ratio.

40:1 Redline for me.

100LL isn't particularly good for our motors either but thats another debate I don't want to get into.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:24 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 341 Likes on 273 Posts

Yea, I'd never run 100:1 nor would I ever run the Amsoil thats supposed to run at that ratio.

40:1 Redline for me.

100LL isn't particularly good for our motors either but thats another debate I don't want to get into.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:33 AM
scottad

Thanks guys, appreciate your advice!
But I am second guessing my mix now. I must admit I always give it an extra tip when mixing cause 100:1 seems a little lean. My 52cc engines are brison 3.2, taurus 3.2 and dla56. I know my brison manual says 100:1 as long as it's a good quality synthetic. I don't have the taurus manual, but I know my dla recommendations are about like DLE's. But about 5 years ago I switched my taurus and dla over to it, (just didn't want multiple gas jugs) and had several old timers in club tell me 100:1 is fine as long as it's a good synthetic. And their motors seem to run good so I went ahead and did it since they were both mechanics (however import car mechanics LOL). Anyway I really appreciate your input!
Old 01-22-2015, 12:20 PM
MTK

I've used aviation gasoline 100LL for the past 5 years and have not had any issues. Engines are several different types in the 30 to 60cc displacement. I've found that people who tend to be against avgas, have never run it. Whatever!! The advantages of avgas are several, stability over time and practically a total lack of stink at the top of the heap. There is only a slight downside I've found....top end rpm drops by 200-300 compared to premium auot gas.

I mix 50:1 using BelRay MC1 motorcycle racing synthetic for those 5 years and do the break in and general running with the same mix.

As far as the better powerplant in the 35cc arena, IMHO the OS GT33 is the best of the bunch for shear stump pulling power. It's a longer stroke engine than the others and it shows its mettle turning larger props. I've played with several 30 to 40 cc engines (SAP180, ZDZ40, DLE35 rear, PTE36 rear) and the OS is better than these in terms of output and realiability. The DLE35 is the simplest to start engine I have ever owned, one flip starts its specialty.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:02 PM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

Matt, have you ever run the OS on a canister? I know you've done quite a bit with pipes, but I'm curious if a canister will add anything, as I've heard the stock pitts muffler is quite restrictive. I'm running the OS/stock muff, and like the power and quietness of the stock muff, but wouldn't mind a bit more power. My plane is canister, but not pipe, ready, so I've considered a canister...
Old 01-22-2015, 07:11 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

OS160 is a powerhouse for its size and weight. No 35cc gas motor will match it with power to weight. DLE are ok. DA is better quality. and has great support in the long run. I love my mvvs 35. 7700 rpm on a 20x10 mejlick with a pitts muffler. It is heavier but makes more power and has the carb out front which i prefer over a rear carb. The new version is 40cc and is lighter and makes more power.. A pipe will really make it go..
Old 01-23-2015, 04:50 AM
scottad

Yes they are a powerhouse!
Old 01-23-2015, 05:10 AM
Muttdog

Take a look at EME engines from Mile High RC (.com). I've had 3 60's and just bought another one. DA like power and the company has been making steady improvements over the last couple years. Japanese con rod bearings and an 18 month warranty that Mile high stands behind. Reports on the smaller engine seem to be very good.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:40 AM
MTK

Originally Posted by wyo69cowboy
Matt, have you ever run the OS on a canister? I know you've done quite a bit with pipes, but I'm curious if a canister will add anything, as I've heard the stock pitts muffler is quite restrictive. I'm running the OS/stock muff, and like the power and quietness of the stock muff, but wouldn't mind a bit more power. My plane is canister, but not pipe, ready, so I've considered a canister...
I've run the DLE35 on canisters (several prototypes from ESComposites). There was no extra output compared to a muffler. The canisters reduced noise footprint tho so it's a reasonable compromise if noise reduction is necessary at your field. But of course I haven't run a whole bunch of canisters so I can't vouch for other products.

I have never run the OS GT33 on a canister (or its muffler either for that matter), only pipes. In fact I have several stock muffler I would love to sell, if anyone is interested. If you are looking for more power, let me suggest to take a closer look at the airframe and see if you can build the pipe tunnel. The pipe is certainly worthwhile boosting output about 1000 rpm in the 30-40cc engine size. The noise footprint is even lower than that of a can.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:44 AM
MTK

Originally Posted by 2walla
OS160 is a powerhouse for its size and weight. No 35cc gas motor will match it with power to weight. DLE are ok. DA is better quality. and has great support in the long run. I love my mvvs 35. 7700 rpm on a 20x10 mejlick with a pitts muffler. It is heavier but makes more power and has the carb out front which i prefer over a rear carb. The new version is 40cc and is lighter and makes more power.. A pipe will really make it go..
I ran the OS160 piped for a couple years before converting to gasoline 5+ years ago. Some of the 30-35cc engines can't touch it. Except for the GT33. The GT33 is an OS160 on steroids
Old 01-24-2015, 05:40 AM
scottad

Thanks again guys, I've narrowed it down. I think I'll buck up and spend a little more than I was planning on, never owned an OS motor that I didn't like
Old 01-24-2015, 09:47 PM
Rocketman_

Originally Posted by MTK
I've run the DLE35 on canisters (several prototypes from ESComposites). There was no extra output compared to a muffler. The canisters reduced noise footprint tho so it's a reasonable compromise if noise reduction is necessary at your field. But of course I haven't run a whole bunch of canisters so I can't vouch for other products. ...
wyo69cowboy,
I can 2nd Matt's answer to your question but with a different engine and canister. A PTE36R 36cc engine and it's loud stock Pitts muffler will spin a Xoar 19-3DA prop at 8140 RPM and it will spin the same prop at 8190 RPM on a canister. No significant RPM difference but the canister is quieter and keeps the peace with the neighbors.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:10 PM
MTK

Originally Posted by scottad
Thanks again guys, I've narrowed it down. I think I'll buck up and spend a little more than I was planning on, never owned an OS motor that I didn't like
Scott,

If you decide to get the OS, you might want to go to the Pattern forum. I have a sticky there on the care and feeding of the 33, no BS, the good and the bad. Early on when the engine was new, I certainly had some bad which almost caused me to scrub the whole project. I am glad I saw the engine through its early issues (corrected by Hobby Services). Now I've commissioned two more and still have 2 NIB engines waiting for new projects. That's what I think of them....No I don't get my stuff free or even a slight support from Tower. It's just when I see a really good product, why not share it? The Tower Super Saver Club can save you around 60$ on the engine. For 10 dollar fee .it's worth it I think, plus free shipping.

Good luck with which ever way you choose.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I will have a new supply of gasoline tubing available in a couple weeks. Super flexible inside the tank or out, for years, and very inexpensive at 90 cents a foot. FWIW
Old 01-26-2015, 05:01 AM
scottad

Thanks Matt,
I will read it I appreciate your input! I would be interested in tubing.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:07 AM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by Rocketman_
wyo69cowboy,
I can 2nd Matt's answer to your question but with a different engine and canister. A PTE36R 36cc engine and it's loud stock Pitts muffler will spin a Xoar 19-3DA prop at 8140 RPM and it will spin the same prop at 8190 RPM on a canister. No significant RPM difference but the canister is quieter and keeps the peace with the neighbors.
Thanks--I'm pretty happy with the noise level of the stock OS muffler, but I've heard(read it on the internet, so it must be true lol) the OS muff is very restrictive. Someone had tried it on a DLE30 and it killed the power on the DLE. Most of the DLE(and others) stock mufflers aren't very restrictive(and are thus usually quite noisy), so it kind of follow's MTK's findings of the OS being quite powerful on a pipe--it's making plenty of power stock, but is held back a bit by the stock muff. Oh well, I may try a cheapie header/canister combo just for giggles.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:50 PM
scottad

Okay the OS gt33 is ordered, towers discount and OS rebate to tempting to resist!
Old 02-06-2015, 09:52 AM
MTK

Thanks--I'm pretty happy with the noise level of the stock OS muffler, but I've heard(read it on the internet, so it must be true lol) the OS muff is very restrictive. Someone had tried it on a DLE30 and it killed the power on the DLE. Most of the DLE(and others) stock mufflers aren't very restrictive(and are thus usually quite noisy), so it kind of follow's MTK's findings of the OS being quite powerful on a pipe--it's making plenty of power stock, but is held back a bit by the stock muff. Oh well, I may try a cheapie header/canister combo just for giggles.
Just as an aside, I really like and prefer the ES Composites pipes 30G, 35G and 40G. Ed Skorepa, Mr ES, onlty offers the 35G for the 30-40cc engines currently.

I have an aluminum pipe for the Mintor 38cc which is very similar design to the ESC and produces similar power. It's a couple ounces heavier (about 6 ounces actual weight) than the ESC pipes so I'd like to sell the ally pipe to someone who is less fussy about a couple ounces than I am. If interested, contact me directly. The pipe comes with my custom ceramic composite connectors I developed a few years ago. Nothing available had worked well enough until this design. This design has proven bullet proof and is very lightweight.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:09 AM
MTK

Originally Posted by scottad
Okay the OS gt33 is ordered, towers discount and OS rebate to tempting to resist!
I wish you lots of success. A couple key things: it develops lots of compression, stock, and needs a smart flip through compression and throttle open about 1/4. Otherwise it could start backwards. Early on I used a Dynatron on 24 volts and it almost always strated with the slightest bump.

The engine is fitted tight initially. Wear that in over the next 3 to 4 gallons. My no 1 engine has about 130 hours of working time on it and still has the same compression as when new. I use the same mix for break-in as regular running, but others use other approaches and that's no problem.

One thing I can vouch for is this: when I opened the engine up for a cleaning after 15 gallons give or take, it was clean inside with only the slightest build up in the chamber and piston. The spark plug needed cleaning which was simple. Now the engine is due for another cleaning, some 20 more gallons through it.

Good luck
Old 02-07-2015, 05:09 AM
VincentJ

I've seen that engine used at the field that I fly at and it's a strong good running engine after the break-in process. Heed the warning about it starting backwards as it will for you as well. Not a big deal if you have the heads-up about it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.