Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Seagull edge 540 .46 size CG?

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Seagull edge 540 .46 size CG?

Old 10-22-2008, 09:23 AM
Jason12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seagull edge 540 .46 size CG?

I just got my seagull edge 540 done with a saito .82. I have standard futaba servos an alum spinner and hydrimax five cell 2/3 battery, which the battery hasnt been mounted yet because of the fact the plane is extrmly nose heavy. I even set the battery on the tail and still couldn't get it to balance at the recommended cg of 9.5cm from leading edge at the tip. I called Horizon and the said that was the correct cg point. Any body else have the same plane setup that has flown it are they right or can someone give me some advice?
Old 11-05-2008, 03:05 PM
cw_nh

Default RE: Seagull edge 540 .46 size CG?

I just finished setting one of these up a few weeks ago, mine is an electric convert. I ended up setting the CG at 9 cm from the leading edge. Originally I added 1oz of weight to the back to get the CG at 9.5, but the plane did not fly well. It felt way too tail heavy. After I removed the weight and moved my battery forward about an inch from the wing tube she flew beautifully, so when I got back from the field I measured the CG at 9 cm. Just my experience hope it helps.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:10 PM
pilot4ifr

Default RE: Seagull edge 540 .46 size CG?

I used the 9.5 cm and had no problem ... if anything it is level at 9.5 so I made it slightly nose heavy with .5 oz of weight on the firwall ... Check your mesurement on your motor mount ... I actually moved the motor back to 112mm and just put the cowl back 3mm more . Just try moving the motor and find a way to temp secure it .. I know I am lighter than you as I am running an Irvine .53 12 X 6 prop , Alum. Spinner , but also using a longer pipe than standard ...
I will add advice is to change the landing gear to a 1 piece or take a thin strip of alum. or Carbon fiber and bolt the two together.
I had a dead stick ( Ran out of fuel ...DUH) and just bounced lightly (Panic set in ) ... well the two peice gear gave on the wood it split right down the middle .... So I found the weak link in the plane . LOL
If you want any other suggestions send a note and I can Pass them on to you . I found a list of things I would correct in the original build..
Old 06-02-2018, 08:13 PM
Curiousj

Default Question

I have the discounted edge 540 model 46 size i need know is the tube and wing the cg point