3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

what is 3D Flying

Old 09-14-2017, 01:49 AM
Sawe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default what is 3D Flying

Old 09-14-2017, 05:42 AM
rgburrill

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not flying! Flying is done with lift, 3D is just a big engine pulling a frame around.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:17 AM
Rafael23cc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Since I don't speak emojis, I have to ask the question: are you actually asking a question or just trolling? Although I _could_ understand the answer already given, I feel the answer is also a type of trolling.

Rafael
Old 09-14-2017, 09:55 AM
rgburrill

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael23cc View Post
Since I don't speak emojis, I have to ask the question: are you actually asking a question or just trolling? Although I _could_ understand the answer already given, I feel the answer is also a type of trolling.

Rafael
Not trolling at all. How much "flying" is done in 3-D? Everything I've watched is a big engine pulling around a body. Watch some real competition flying like Red Bull - they do real flying.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:20 PM
Xpress

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

"3D Flying" encompasses a large variety of flight, it's best just to show you an example:

Much skill is required to make the aircraft fly as smoothly as Kyle does, it's not something someone picks up in a couple days of practice.

Last edited by Xpress; 09-14-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:09 PM
ahicks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgburrill View Post
Not trolling at all. How much "flying" is done in 3-D? Everything I've watched is a big engine pulling around a body. Watch some real competition flying like Red Bull - they do real flying.
Thinking that's your opinion, and although I do believe they are "really" flying as well, you did ask about 3D. A LOT of 3D would also include maneuvers done at the very slowest speeds, requiring a level of control that darn few ever master completely. We're not always talking about somebody practicing the hover (hard to do without electronic assistance, and many consider it boring to watch).

You think it's easy? You want REAL flying? Next time you're out flying, here a challenge for you, exercising a basic 3D skill. While coming in for a landing, add some power and up elevator, and hold your plane off the runway about 18" or so, the length of the runway. Then do a rudder turn and come back..... all without increasing your speed above landing speed, and never gaining more than 4' of altitude. With proper set up (yes, you get to figure that out too!), about any decent sport plane should be able to do that. Then come back and tell us 3D is all "big engine pulling around a body".

As a full scale pilot, I have terrific admiration for the way those guys handle those Red Bull planes (like flying back to an airport after dipping a wing tip in the Detroit River), and even more for the advances made in their construction. The power to weight ratios they get to play with, well the more you know about them, the more amazed you become. That said, I don't consider what they spend most of their time doing 3D flying, not the way I think of 3D anyway. -Al
Old 09-15-2017, 09:12 AM
Rafael23cc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgburrill View Post
I was somewhat siding with you, but you are dead set in your ways and will not accept someone else's opinion and want to inject your opinion as fact. Anytime you leave the ground you are flying. You are talking to a helicopter pilot in case you missed the avatar. what would be the difference? our propeller is what carries the weight of our vehicles.

Rafael
Old 09-15-2017, 10:12 AM
BarracudaHockey
Community Moderators

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We all know helicopters don't fly, they beat the air into submission.

Hope you're well, I've been playing with more jets and 3D airplanes (not flying them, just dragging them around with a big motor) than heli stuff lately.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:51 PM
Rafael23cc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
We all know helicopters don't fly, they beat the air into submission.

Totally true, a completely different dimension of flying being separated from the ground.

Quote:
Hope you're well, I've been playing with more jets and 3D airplanes (not flying them, just dragging them around with a big motor) than heli stuff lately.
Job took me travelling 2014 to early 2017, with a few short breaks in between. Very little RC done then. On top of that, while in Wichita, KS I used the opportunity to get my Full Scale Ticket. So that leaves less time and money for RC. I've been working to get my stuff out of mothballs and in flying condition as time becomes available.

I assume Irma left you alone?

Rafael
Old 09-15-2017, 02:47 PM
jim billings

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Smile 3D Skill

I view 3D flying as way to show off skill with the transmitter. I'm not that skilled and, as a consequence, I get bored watching 3D flights. My skill level allows me to fly for fun and have a ball doing so. I consider that equivalent to the 3D flyer.

Search this Thread