Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

ucando no more

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

ucando no more

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 09:13 PM
sparkplug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ucando no more

Well I got a ucando last week and completed it for my regular sunday flying.

It had a .61fx with a 12x4 and JR 4721 for rudder and JR537 for everything else. The model balanced perfectly with no weight anywhere. So far so good. I take it to the field start up the engine and it ran flawlessly so I decided to taxi it and it went into the air like a dream. I needed 3 clicks of aileron and it flew straight as an arrow at half throttle. I did 2 circuits around and decided to see if it would go vertical without any issue and it did not ballistic but it went straight up with little trouble then I decided to kick over the tail and head towards the ground to do a fly by so throttle back and kick over the tail and at idle let the plane come down since the plan did say be carefull of flutter. But wait on the way down with the throttle at idle I hear a quick flrrrt and their goes half the wing going one way and the rest of the plane coming towards tera ferma doing a spiral.

So with that being said flutter is a big deal on this plane since the plane was gliding down and it fluttered on one aileron at half throttle I was able to do 2 cuircuits without any issue. What really surprised me is how little time it took to loose half a wing. Their was just a little flutter noise and within a mili second their goes the wing. I would have expected an aileron to let go but a whole half a wing that is odd. The rest of the wing stayed on the fuse even after it hitting the ground in a single piece.

I decide to share this with you since I was hoping to use this plane to do some 3d flying but I guess I will need at some other plane since this one does not work for me.

Enjoy!
Old 09-28-2003, 10:58 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ucando no more

Sounds like a structural problem specific to your kit, such as unseen shipping damage inside the wing. My UCD has been flown hard and is still going strong. Perhaps if you get in touch with GP they might be able to help.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:11 PM
bckyrdbshr
My Feedback: (35)

I have a friend that had one of the GP cap 231 arf's bought it brand new after it was assembled we took it out for the first flight it lasted about 2 min. wing snapped one call to GP and we sent the cap back and they replaced it with a new 300s.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:06 AM
sparkplug

This was my first ever try at an ARF and I have to say that after putting a good engine in it and a good set of servos which are for the most part stripped now I am very anoyed at ARF's quality. If you build it you know that it will hold in flight since you put it together. In and ARF you are relying on the good people of GreatPlanes to do a good job for you. Well guess what a $229CDN ARF plane is not worth crashing $650CDN dollars of radio equipment and a $300CDN engine.

Unfortunetly I also bought at the same time a H9 80" cap 232 that is an ARF.

I definetly plan on putting this bird through a few tests prior to installing a $1000CDN engine in it and going for a flight.

Enjoy!
Old 09-29-2003, 11:18 AM
shadowspring

That unfortunate story is why i call them the

Ucansnapyourwingsinhalf 3d!!!!!!!

Do a search on this forum and you will find that this is a common problem with the Ucansnapyourwingsinhalf 3d!!
Old 09-29-2003, 01:27 PM
Sprink

Is this the 60 size or the 46 size (or do both snap their wings)?
Old 09-29-2003, 01:38 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not heard of major structural problems with the 60 size. Again, if you get in touch with Great Planes, they may be able to help you out.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:43 PM
Ian.W

can i just say.........an OS 61 on an 12x4. ARE YOU BESERK!!!! that will rev it to bits, wot are you gettin on it!
Old 09-29-2003, 08:20 PM
sparkplug

The OS61 on a 12x6 was loading actually alot and you are right a 12x4 was quite high reving on the ground but I wanted a slow flying plane since I was worried of flutter due to the ailerons being so big and actually having them smaller then the trailing edge. This has a tendancy to induce flutter. Having a 12x4 on it would keep it slow.

The news today is that I have just purchase a H9 funtana to replace this plane since I need a practice plane for 3d and imac stuff. I don't want to be practicing stuff on my H9 cap232 80".

It seems like the funtana is a better plane and should be able to be a good flier with my .61fx. I wonder what prop would be the best prop on that plane and engine combo ?

Enjoy!
Old 09-29-2003, 08:36 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

12X4??? That's what I run on my 46 FX