Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

UCD 46, 60, Morris Knife, or other for learning 3D?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

UCD 46, 60, Morris Knife, or other for learning 3D?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 05:39 PM
jc4me2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UCD 46, 60, Morris Knife, or other for learning 3D?

Title says it all. I'm planning on using a O.S. 46 w/ ultrathrust muff, gives me 13,000 rpm w/ a APC 12-4. I'm an average pilot, and would like to learn to 3D. I don't mind building, but would prefer an ARF for a change. Thanks, Jordan
Old 10-19-2003, 06:17 PM
lsnover
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: UCD 46, 60, Morris Knife, or other for learning 3D?

The Flip 3D would be my first choice.

It's a bit pricey, but very nice.

Next would be the Funtana. Good price, descent plane, not as stable as the Flip.

I have a OK Seduction which is light and will do anything, but a little prone to snapping out at odd times.

The UCANDU 46 is also nice I believe.

Pick your poison.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:30 PM
3Dreaming
My Feedback: (1)

My vote is for the Morris Knife, but you might have to build as ARF's are hard to find right now. I started practicing hovering and TR'ing down low with a Knife this summer,and it has helped a bunch. Tom
Old 10-19-2003, 07:49 PM
lomcevek1

If you would like to learn 3D while flying LOW to the ground then set aside about $20.00 and build a SPA3D. Not the best looking plane out there but it will harrier like no other and easy to hover. Best of all you can dork it all day and at most you will have to replace the prop.

You can get plans at www.spadtothebone.com

Also check out the SPA3DT for even more durability.

Again this plane is great for learning 3D such as harriers and hovering but it is not good for much else. But it is cheap and durable.

Hope this helps
Old 10-20-2003, 12:39 PM
jc4me2

I thought the H9 Funtana sucks at hovering, much less learning to hover. If a SPAD is so easy to hover, how would that help me learn on the big ones? Jordan
Old 10-20-2003, 01:45 PM
hroachen

I agree completely with lomcevek1.

The SPA3D would be a better choice for a 3D trainer than any of the planes you mentioned. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your list of planes, but if you're looking to LEARN to 3D, then you'd be much better off with the SPA3D first.

I recently returned to flying after a fifteen year break last year. I got a UcanDo 60, a Goldberg Extreme 330, and a H9 Funtana. I didn't think any of them could 3D well. All of them could hover, but I felt that they all were terrible at harriers. Harriers were pretty much awful wing-rocking struggles with all 3.

I built a SPA3D which is one of the easiest if not the very easiest harriering small plane around. After two weeks I took my Goldberg out again and found that it harriers great. I didn't change anything on it, the only difference was that the SPA3D had taught me how to fly the harrier properly. I was completely surprised. I'd have bet money that the plane was simply incapable of a decent harrier only two weeks before.

You asked "If a SPAD is so easy to hover, how would that help me learn on the big ones?"

It would help you learn for the same reason that you learn to fly on a trainer instead of a pattern plane. You only have so much concentration available to you. IF you're spending it all on struggling to keep the plane flying, you have none left for learning. My experience with the SPA3D made me a much more effective 3D pilot. $30 gets you enough material to build two SPA3Ds and enough left over for spare parts. The plane is so easy to harrier that you can actually think about what you're doing.

I've seen enough people learning 3D to have formed this opinion. Basically they fly around, then pop into a hover and hold it as long as they can. When it starts to get away they go to full power and fly out. Then do it over again. I was like that before the SPA3D. Now I can slow down into a harrier, circle in tighter and tighter until the plane is standing still and torque rolling in place. I don't have to punch out when it gets out of shape, my hands just know what to do to bring it back in line. OR I can let it fall into a harrier or turn it into a stationary or climbing flat spin. It definitely looks better this way. And I doubt that I'd have learned to do it without the SPA3D. At least not in the short time it's taken. Build a SPA3D, your 46 will be perfect for it. It will make you a beter 3D pilot quicker than anything out there. Then you build a Funtana or something like it, everyone will want to know what you did to make YOURS fly so well.

D
Old 10-20-2003, 02:14 PM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

I love the morris hobbies knife.
But my vote goes for a spa3d. Because when you crash it, mose of the time, you fire it back up and start over. everynow and then replace a prop.

your 46 and mufler combo will work great on the spad. ya' itsn't as pretty, but what would kill a knife, flip, funtana, won't even break a prop on the spad.

Old 10-21-2003, 10:44 AM
flip3d

i would sugest a spa 3d and a sledge
the spad to pratice and the sledge to do it for real

i have spa3d and a g wiz b i used the spa3d to learn to hover and after 4 tanks of gas i had the g wiz b down on the deck.

but the sledge will 3d better sech as high alfa ans good flat spins and ect.........
build those 2

philip
Old 01-26-2004, 03:51 PM
joeb102072
My Feedback: (9)

My brother owns a Funtana among others and I own a Giles 300 and a Morris the Knife. I cant say for the SPAD but the 40 size Morris I put a YS 63 on it and it is wicked. I can hover at 1/3 throttle. Full throttle straight flight is scary. EXTREMELY easy plane to fly and learn to hover on. Key is to over power em with out adding too much weight. This plane is yanked around by the engine if I want it to, which makes it cool for pulling out of sticky situations low to the ground. The Funtana is an excellent 3D er but in my opinion its not built up enough. With adding the weight you need to add to build it up I would jump the engine size up on the Funtana to a Saito 100. In my opinion I dont think the Funtana is a good plane to LEARN 3D on. I think you need the basic Idea of hovering and good stick control to be able to learn on this plane. I cant get enough of my morris plane there is nothing it wont do it comes ARF and landing it is easier than a trainer. Harriers draggin the tail wheel down the runway, knife edge hands off. GOOD BUY. ---- GOOD LUCK.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:03 PM
Katana

If you learning 3d there is no point in doing stuff low. If you do you will be building alot. I would get the flip 3d. I have one right now awesome plane. Hinging is annoying though. You always practice up high not down low till you know what your doing.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:44 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

Check out the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1297824/mpage_1/key_burrito/anchor/tm.htm#1297824]burrito[/link]